TEAM IS GETTING BETTER

This question was not addressed to me, but I commented on just this subject very recently, in which I referenced Glory Johnson, a brilliant, honors student, whose body-mind were a bit out of balance. Glory was anything but ...”dumb.”
But, I know, and have known MANY “dumb jocks,” as they were called, who were incredibly “heady” athletes, and specifically in basketball. The just “got it!”
I will add only that, some players - and more specifically, girls - can be so emotionally overwhelmed, as to look physically challenged. Theirs is most often NOT physical, nor is it “academic” ...just a lot of internal conflict or stress. So, I think we agree on this part, but it’s certainly a delicate subject.
Nope, nope, not agreeing that girls are more likely to get emotionally overwhelmed. Some kids, regardless of gender, can get overwhelmed by a game situation. Look no further than our QB to see a boy who can totally lose focus at times when things get tough.
Checking the calendar, yep 2020.

Reactions: mcannon1
Nope, nope, not agreeing that girls are more likely to get emotionally overwhelmed. Some kids, regardless of gender, can get overwhelmed by a game situation. Look no further than our QB to see a boy who can totally lose focus at times when things get tough.
Checking the calendar, yep 2020.

Well, I'm pretty sure that you're a girl/woman, and someone who has likely competed at a high level; you're also probably tough as nails; mentally, emotionally, and physically. I also think that women are tougher - in many ways, than men.
And, I absolutely agree, if you're referencing the QB that I think you are. UNbelievable!
But, having watched, coached, participated in sports for five-plus decades, YES, girls are often (and, I think, on average, MUCH MORE often) more outwardly stressed; and it absolutely does affect them physically. I've rarely watched a girls basketball game in which there wasn't at least one such physical, and/or emotional manifestation.
If you want to limit this to college level, or the WNBA, then, yes, them's some very tuff girls. But, watch the huddle, or confer with most any high school girls coach(es). It's the toughest part of coaching at that level. And, it isn't even close.

But, I beg you: PLEASE don't tell any one of my Six Sisters I said this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benionsopinion
Well, I'm pretty sure that you're a girl/woman, and someone who has likely competed at a high level; you're also probably tough as nails; mentally, emotionally, and physically. I also think that women are tougher - in many ways, than men.
And, I absolutely agree, if you're referencing the QB that I think you are. UNbelievable!
But, having watched, coached, participated in sports for five-plus decades, YES, girls are often (and, I think, on average, MUCH MORE often) more outwardly stressed; and it absolutely does affect them physically. I've rarely watched a girls basketball game in which there wasn't at least one such physical, and/or emotional manifestation.
If you want to limit this to college level, or the WNBA, then, yes, them's some very tuff girls. But, watch the huddle, or confer with most any high school girls coache(s). It's the toughest part of coaching at that level. And, it isn't even close.

But, I beg you: PLEASE don't tell any one of my Six Sisters I said this.

Hah!! If they are older sisters they would probably beat you up!
So here is what I have seen in my career, I am a CPA/CFO. When you are in a meeting with men and women, when men get mad and raise their voices etc. they are just mad. It is almost seen as a strength for that man. When women, in the same meeting, get mad and raise their voice they are being emotional. This is almost always seen as a weakness.
The absolute worst is when you get mansplained that you are being emotional. I saw a female Chief Marketing Officer almost kill a “you are just being emotional” man. Really, if there had not been witnesses she would have throttled him. I don’t think he ever said that again. Anyway, that explains my thoughts on females being too emotional. BTW thanks for all your work on youth sports. That can be a thankless job!

Hah!! If they are older sisters they would probably beat you up!
So here is what I have seen in my career, I am a CPA/CFO. When you are in a meeting with men and women, when men get mad and raise their voices etc. they are just mad. It is almost seen as a strength for that man. When women, in the same meeting, get mad and raise their voice they are being emotional. This is almost always seen as a weakness.
The absolute worst is when you get mansplained that you are being emotional. I saw a female Chief Marketing Officer almost kill a “you are just being emotional” man. Really, if there had not been witnesses she would have throttled him. I don’t think he ever said that again. Anyway, that explains my thoughts on females being too emotional. BTW thanks for all your work on youth sports. That can be a thankless job!

All of them are older; and yes, each of them beat me up ...many times.
Not only that, but they made me join the Marine Corps ...just because they did!
"It's a family tradition," they said.
"You'll love it!" ...they said.
"You can eat all you want!" ...they said.

Are you crying???

There's no crying in basketball!

I learned quickly that there are often vast differences in reactions of males and females both from marriage and from 12 years coaching teen girls in three different sports. I also learned from an irate dad that average-sized girls who are winded just from running the length of the court just need better conditioning rather than to lose weight.

That was a close call. Never repeated that mistake.

All of them are older; and yes, each of them beat me up ...many times.
Not only that, but they made me join the Marine Corps ...just because they did!
"It's a family tradition," they said.
"You'll love it!" ...they said.
"You can eat all you want!" ...they said.
Hah!!!!!! LOL! But Marines do have the absolute best dress uniforms!

Reactions: krichunaka
Are you crying???

There's no crying in basketball!

I learned quickly that there are often vast differences in reactions of males and females both from marriage and from 12 years coaching teen girls in three different sports. I also learned from an irate dad that average-sized girls who are winded just from running the length of the court just need better conditioning rather than to lose weight.

That was a close call. Never repeated that mistake.
So saw this on TV. Dad and son go into Victoria’s Secret at Christmas where dad is buying wife a night gown for Christmas. Dad tells sales clerk what he is looking for. Sales person asks size and dad says”small”. Son goes “Dad! No way mom wears a small.” Dad’s reply “You’ll learn son, you’ll learn.”
Glad you went with the better conditioning.

VN Store

Back