Tee Martin play calling responsibility

I'm starting to think this is a reason for many saying he's simply not ready to take over a major college football program just yet

Reactions: 1 person
I'm starting to think this is a reason for many saying he's simply not ready to take over a major college football program just yet

yep

if his own HC doesnt have enough confidence for his OC to call every play, he's not ready to be a HC for us. Now's not the time for on the job training

Reactions: 3 people
What did Dabo do before he was HC?

Do we want to base our coaching hire on a complete anomaly among successful head coaches? Name for me one other position coach —> head coach move that’s resulted in half the success Swinney’s had at Clempson. (Yes, I know he was associate head coach, or whatever title)

Do we want to base our coaching hire on a complete anomaly among successful head coaches? Name for me one other position coach —> head coach move that’s resulted in half the success Swinney’s had at Clempson. (Yes, I know he was associate head coach, or whatever title)

Urban Meyer.

To be fair, Carroll called plays when Norm Chow was there. Kiffin and Sark were co-coordinator and Carroll still called plays in certain situations. Kiffin called plays here and at USC. Sark called plays, not Helton.

The knock on Tee apparently has to do with him blowing up on the team to the point of telling them that they were playing like garbage at the start of last year. He went in an apologized and said he went over the line in his criticism. To his credit, he owned it.

What is interesting to note is that Tee favored starting Darnell from the beginning of last year. Helton went with experience- according to Will West.

Last edited:
So there seems to be some talk out there that Tee doesn't call plays at USC but I came across this article from LA Daily news. Tee calls plays on 1st and 2nd down and Helton ( the brother ) handles 3rd down.

USC’s three-headed monster leads to seamless play-calling – Daily News

This is consistent with what HC Helton said in an article in 2016. He stated something to the effect of “we both call plays.” During the game the other night, it appeared that both may have been calling plays. I saw Helton call a couple of plays in.

This is consistent with what HC Helton said in an article in 2016. He stated something to the effect of “we both call plays.” During the game the other night, it appeared that both may have been calling plays. I saw Helton call a couple of plays in.

That’s not abnormal, when a HC was a coordinator on one side.

Another example, Saban called defensive plays with both Smart and Pruitt.

There are a million other responsibilities that a head coach is responsible for other than being just a coordinator.

Could include:
- scheduling
- practice coordination
- PR
- crisis management
- staff meeting coordination
- recruiting
- NCAA compliance
- staffing
- Parent communications
- oversight of all position coaches
- game planning oversight
- tactical in-game strategies
- Support staff oversight
- Team medical communication, and
- baby sitting one hundred 17-23 year olds.

Last edited:
totally agree. Very well might.

But very will might not and doesnt trust him either

if its a control issue them maybe he needs to go elsewhere to prove himself

Managers / Coaches are responsible for achieving desired outcomes and winning. Play calling is a very dynamic environment where nothing is set in stone, and everything can change. The key is for all staff to communicate extremely well and to adapt extremely fast to change.

Based on what your opponent does, a play could come from upstairs, the head coach or a player.

Last edited:
In before K-town King calls you a liar.

He will need to take that up with the writer of the article, not me

Nov 9th, 2016

So yea its a lie. Google any of the articles form this season and they will talk about Tee calling the plays. I have repeatedly said that yes, in his first year that was the arrangement.

Not this year. Tee calls the plays. And guess what? They got better.

Stop spreading stuff from his first year and acting like nothing has changed. Its a false narrative some of you want to push for some reason.

VN Store

Back