Tennessee 25th in the first AP Poll

Hard to believe how far SC has fallen under Spurrier.

Maybe. It looked more like that offense was pretty good, but that new defense (either scheme - had they changed DCs? - or personnel) was just so horrendous. It went beyond negating anything their offense did.

I've got a feeling that Les Miles is going to be in some troubled waters after this year

He's likely got enough of a safety net after how much he's done there to endure even another 7 to 8 win season, though, without too much heat. Not at least at this point, yet.

I think it's about right. I was actually expecting around 26-28th, but to be included where we are shows that some believe we have the potential to be better without giving the team an overly inflated view of themselves, but also gives the team the knowledge that they are getting at least some respect. It also helps us start the season without a big target on our backs.

I like where we're at Smo, but it doesn't mean those in front of us are overrated. (Not that you're saying that)

Are you serious? Do you know what a crap program USCjr was before Spurrier got there? What he has done since he came on board has been nothing short of amazing.

No argument there, it's incredible what he has done, but you are either moving up or down and right now they are going the wrong way very quickly.

Arkansas at 18 I don't get it.

Their 7-6 in the SECw last year was more impressive than our 7-6 in the SECe. For example, they played Bama and lost by 1....we played Bama and were down 27-0 before everyone had gotten to their seats. They played OleMiss and won 30-0....we played OleMiss and were annihilated 34-3.

They return a 5th yr senior QB that protects the ball (20 tds, 5 ints) in an offense that features a dominant OL and running game. That's what people are looking at IMO. They don't seem to care that Arky lost some key defensive players, just that they have that running game and a QB that doesn't give away possessions. Oh yeah, and their coach has proven more on a bigger stage to this point.

Last edited:
I almost think an interesting debate (to observe) might be whether - at this current moment in time - Tennessee should have that last spot in the poll or if Mississippi State should.

That's a really small margin of points between the two (and both are quite low overall compared to the rest of the teams ranked in the 20's).

For the first time since 2007 Vols will not play two teams in the AP preseason Top 6

Reactions: 2 people
Dustin Dopirak ‏@TennesseeBeat 3m3 minutes ago
Here's one for you. 13 percent of Tennessee's vote points came from one voter -- our very own John Adams. John had Vols No. 12.

JA must have thought he was voting in the conference rankings

Last edited:
Their 7-6 in the SECw last year was more impressive than our 7-6 in the SECe. For example, they played Bama and lost by 1....we played Bama and were down 27-0 before everyone had gotten to their seats. They played OleMiss and won 30-0....we played OleMiss and were annihilated 34-3.

They return a 5th yr senior QB that protects the ball (20 tds, 5 ints) in an offense that features a dominant OL and running game. That's what people are looking at IMO. They don't seem to care that Arky lost some key defensive players, just that they have that running game and a QB that doesn't give away possessions. Oh yeah, and their coach has proven more on a bigger stage to this point.

I think Arky will finish the year around 22-25 ranked. Their Defense is going to take a step back this year which will probably lead to 2 losses and their best RB went down which will be another 1 or 2 losses. Also like us people will be expecting them so they wont be sneaking up on anyone. We still have to earn the respect of the CFB world.

To our credit we went 7-6 with mostly freshman and some sophomores sprinkled in. Arkansas had really nice upper class leadership ON THE FIELD.

I don't get Ole Miss or Mizzou either.

Ole Miss may have the best defense in the SEC. Mizzou is a head-scratcher, but they've also been underestimated the past two seasons and will probably rack up wins based on the soft schedule they have.

People are going to think I'm crazy, but I'm surprised Memphis didn't even get a vote. Fuente has them playing decently and they have a lot of talent on offense.

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting question:

If all the chips fall in our favor and we start out 6-0 including wins over OU, UF, UGA and Ark, where would this #25 TN team be ranked going into the bye week?

Interesting question:

If all the chips fall in our favor and we start out 6-0 including wins over OU, UF, UGA and Ark, where would this #25 TN team be ranked going into the bye week?

I think there is a possibility we would break the Top 10

VN Store

Back