Tennessee can't afford to keep Pruitt

So, once the "fire the current coach topic" is started, it's a never-ending analysis of salaries and buyout blah blah blah. Let me do the math real quick............CJP is not going anywhere, 2020 is weird altogether, and how a group of you can even contemplate his firing is ridiculous. CJP is not going anywhere in 2020 or 2021. He'll get at least 5 years and rightfully so, he is IN HIS 3rd Year.
Unless you’re a booster or someone high up in the Administration you are just guessing like the rest of us. Muschamp and Mason proved that letting a coach go in the 2020 COVID year is a possibility.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Unless you’re a booster or someone high up in the Administration you are just guessing like the rest of us. Muschamp and Mason proved that letting a coach go in the 2020 COVID year is a possibility.

possibility at UT......I would say no, totally different situations.

I love these posts saying "we don't want a guy like Freeze" as if we are so much above "guys like him". It's why they wouldn't hire Leach. "He's too weird. We're Tennessee." Yeah...you're 2 and friggin 5...and getting blown out every damn week. Time for Tennessee to get over it's dang self and start winning some friggin football games for once. To heck with this narrative that were so above hiring people "like Freeze"...or guys who are "weird". No let's just keep losing and being a national joke. That's much better. At least we'll have our dignity. Pffffft. BS.

Conclusion: Is keeping Pruitt saving money or spending money? It’s beyond obvious, (no offense Roger,) that keeping Pruitt is a disastrous move football wise.

This is just weird, I'm sorry. You presented nothing interesting or meaningful and then just proclaimed imaginary news of the future. "donations will plummet! Can you prove they won't?"

You set the bar awful low, man.

Season ticket sales were 72,000 in 2016. 64,000 in 2019. Actual attendance averaged 74,000 in 2019. Tennessee averaged 86,000 tickets sold/distributed, not sure how many of those 86000 were freebies but it's a decent number. Think of that. 12,000 people on average had tickets but didn't even bother to go. Georgia State and BYU derailed the whole season. Tennessee can fit 104,000 people in Neyland. I don't think there's been close to 100k in there in the Pruitt era.

The cost of hiring and keeping Pruitt is much larger than his buyout, which doubled thanks to Phil's stupidity.

The 8000 season ticket sales loss from 2016 to 2019 cost millions even if you assumed it was the base level season ticket. I know some people, including myself who were paying much more than base with donation, who canceled tickets. The minimum is 16000 unsold tickets are costing multiple millions. Then you're probably looking at another 500000 minimum in unsold concessions and merchandise at the stadium.

At the very minimum UT is losing 10+ million a year on empty seats because they refuse to go all in for a great coach.

So here we sit the last three years, paying out 6.3 million dollars in football coaching salary, and losing an additional 10 million in football revenue because we wouldn't go out and throw 7 or 8 million out to get a top flight coach who would win and fill seats.

Alabama even gave us the blueprint. They made Saban the highest paid CFB coach by 33 percent when they first hired him and have printed money not only in the football program but with increased enrollment.

Rather than follow their example we've followed Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss State etc, except they have competent athletic directors who have all managed to hire at least one good coach in the last 15 years.

Next year should see stadium capacity back at full assuming nothing derails the vaccine distribution. I expect season ticket sales to be in the 55-58k range for 2021 if Pruitt returns.

Just adjust your sense of Humor and laugh along with country boy, cornbread is here for awhile
Vol fans

Season ticket sales were 72,000 in 2016. 64,000 in 2019. Actual attendance averaged 74,000 in 2019. Tennessee averaged 86,000 tickets sold/distributed, not sure how many of those 86000 were freebies but it's a decent number. Think of that. 12,000 people on average had tickets but didn't even bother to go. Georgia State and BYU derailed the whole season. Tennessee can fit 104,000 people in Neyland. I don't think there's been close to 100k in there in the Pruitt era.

The cost of hiring and keeping Pruitt is much larger than his buyout, which doubled thanks to Phil's stupidity.

The 8000 season ticket sales loss from 2016 to 2019 cost millions even if you assumed it was the base level season ticket. I know some people, including myself who were paying much more than base with donation, who canceled tickets. The minimum is 16000 unsold tickets are costing multiple millions. Then you're probably looking at another 500000 minimum in unsold concessions and merchandise at the stadium.

At the very minimum UT is losing 10+ million a year on empty seats because they refuse to go all in for a great coach.

So here we sit the last three years, paying out 6.3 million dollars in football coaching salary, and losing an additional 10 million in football revenue because we wouldn't go out and throw 7 or 8 million out to get a top flight coach who would win and fill seats.

Alabama even gave us the blueprint. They made Saban the highest paid CFB coach by 33 percent when they first hired him and have printed money not only in the football program but with increased enrollment.

Rather than follow their example we've followed Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss State etc, except they have competent athletic directors who have all managed to hire at least one good coach in the last 15 years.

Next year should see stadium capacity back at full assuming nothing derails the vaccine distribution. I expect season ticket sales to be in the 55-58k range for 2021 if Pruitt returns.

Here's the thing that gets me ... I don't think it'd take a 7 or 8 million dollar per year contract to sign Hugh Freeze.
I think he'd come for what we pay Pruitt, maybe less, and have incentives worked in to make more.
Further, I think he realizes he'd need to agree to a low/no buyout on our end if he were to get us into trouble.
All of this, as long as Sexton doesn't take our AD to school ... again.

Campbell is nothing like Jones. The guy that's most like the trumpet blower is PJ Fleck at Minnesota. Campbell actually took over a horrible team - all time horrible - and made it good. Butch took over very good teams that Brian Kelly built at his two stops prior to UT and just kind of got by. Then he come here and ran it completely off the rail once people figured out how full of crap he was.
Not saying Campbell is not a good coach, just saw some interviews with him back when the coaching search was going on and he had some coaching cliches similar to some Butch used. Obviously Campbell is a much better coach, cliches and all.

VN Store

Back