TENNESSEE Has THE MOST INSANE Backup QB in College Football

The most overlooked relative fact from last year was he was the last man in the QB room. HH had spring practice after his arrival. JM arrived sometime in the summer, threw it around with some guys, but only had fall practice to develop his relationship with his receivers while splitting reps. HH got his shot and the rest is history.

JM's two most criticized plays, running out of bounds and badly overthrowing the backup tight end in the endzone were both Myths by negavols as evidenced by these two screenshots,

View attachment 515209

View attachment 515212

He has had several highlight plays in his limited actions this year, any offsetting FACTUAL bad plays?
Was it a myth that Heupel replaced him two games in because of his play and he hasn’t played a meaningful minute since then? This whole discussion is ridiculous. Yes, he looks improved albeit against back ups. He still has a lot to prove when the spotlight comes on against first string opposition. He’ll get that chance next season and I’m not going to pronounce judgement until I see it. And that’s not negative. It’s the real world. Anything else is just speculation.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
Physically, he's a beast. Having been in the military for 37 years though, I don't believe people who make poor decisions under fire can be fixed. He may not last any longer as a starter the next time than he did the last time. This year we have not seen him in more stress than practice, and I guess he is a good at practicing. Lamaleva is coming into a real opportunity.
As a firefighter training new guys I’d get them outside doing tons of PT in gear, and when dead tired(still working out), I’d start asking them random questions related to the job. They would be flustered and mad, but my response was “I don’t care how tired you are, or how much is going on, you need to be able to think, especially in intense situations”. Eventually they’d get it, or most would I guess. The ones that did have been some of the most solid guys the department has.

Reactions: ttocswob
The 75 yard bomb... No problem!
The 15 yard crossing route.....fingers crossed!
GBO!
You guys are still judging him from last year. Have you actually watched him this year? He is more accurate on all of his throws. He is putting air under deep throws and some degree of touch on shorter throws. And he will have 8 more months to work on developing more touch on those 15 years cruising routes.

Reactions: walkenvol
Some real Joe Milton knob slobbers' on here.

Hoping for the best next year. He does well when the pressure is off of him. Let's hope he stays in that frame of mind when the pressure is on him.

And the people judging him to be the second coming at quarterback are only judging him on half of that - the few wee bits of playing time this year. Neat trick, that.

The need to either proclaim Milton as either a great force or a great failure is ridiculous. Mop up throws against beaten teams don't tell anyone anything.

People around here have wet their pants about every backup. JT Shrout threw one big bomb against South Carolina and everyone thought he was going to be great too. It's the same old circus, every time.

I have no real idea how things will play out next season.

However can you tell us about all the backups that even in mop up duty are doing 76% while throwing almost 19 yards per attempt……..with a td every 5 pass attempts?

Even in garbage time………it ain’t that easy or everyone and their brother would be doing it……..and their not.

Again I don’t know how he will do. However we can certainly observe he has come a long way, we can certainly observe he has developed, and grown. Heupel also certainly knows how to develop QB’s……..therefore it “should” look promising.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Was it a myth that Heupel replaced him two games in because of his play and he hasn’t played a meaningful minute since then? This whole discussion is ridiculous. Yes, he looks improved albeit against back ups. He still has a lot to prove when the spotlight comes on against first string opposition. He’ll get that chance next season and I’m not going to pronounce judgement until I see it. And that’s not negative. It’s the real world. Anything else is just speculation.

It is the lack of truth about his two most discussed plays of last season THAT KEEP BEING REPEATED NOW, that I have challenged and documented. Both were/are myths. Running along the sideline till knocked out is NOT running OUT. Throwing a ball between an under elevated receivers hands is NOT throwing it into the stands. In fact that ball bounced in front of and off the center post of the goal post. An extremely over powered throw does not do that. I invite anyone to provide evidence to the contrary on both.

Show me where he ran out of bounds or it did not happen, Search on thread title
What's the word on Milton? and go to post number #242 and review the replay. Once he passed the LOS at the 10 he slowed down at the 8 for his only chance was for the defender to over pursue and give him a cutback lane and took a shot. He properly extended the play by running out of the pocket, kept looking down field for a receiver with defenders in chase, did not find a good risk shot and pullled it back down as he corssed the LOS. It is all there to see. Can you find ANY indication he was out of bounds? The trail official in perfect position did not. An early emotional game analysis by a hater that has been perpetuated without basis. He did not chuck up a prayer, YES. Stepping out at the 9 was an option that would have saved him a hard high lick by the defender, but he took the hit inbounds. You will find this is a real peave of mine.

He also threw a game-winning pass to Tillman that Ced can usually catch. Kiffin's reaction spoke volumes about just how close it was.

Reactions: 37027
Physically, he's a beast. Having been in the military for 37 years though, I don't believe people who make poor decisions under fire can be fixed. He may not last any longer as a starter the next time than he did the last time. This year we have not seen him in more stress than practice, and I guess he is a good at practicing. Lamaleva is coming into a real opportunity.
Last year he was learning the system and it never slowed down for him enough before Hooker took over. Milton had had a full year of tutelage from our QB whisperer and learning the system. Don't write him off just yet. What makes you think Nico will be able to jump right in and run the offense immediately?

It is the lack of truth about his two most discussed plays of last season THAT KEEP BEING REPEATED NOW, that I have challenged and documented. Both were/are myths. Running along the sideline till knocked out is NOT running OUT. Throwing a ball between an under elevated receivers hands is NOT throwing it into the stands. In fact that ball bounced in front of and off the center post of the goal post. An extremely over powered throw does not do that. I invite anyone to provide evidence to the contrary on both.
But, he did not get knocked out of bounds. He ran out of bounds. Why are you trying to alter what is shown on film?

Show me a pic showing that. I provided mine showing he did not. You think that defender would risk a penalty with that hit if he was OOB?
How about the link I just posted showing him intentionally running out of bounds and being "pounded out of bounds" in your mind, but more like bumped in most people's view. I'm always suspicious of using screenshots because you can make them show you whatever story you want to tell yourself. The full clip shows the whole story.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxvt29T6KH84wVf8GKM6Ok9kRmYHXSUU8a

Reactions: walkenvol

Tiger Woods spent a lot of time and money on the best sports psychologists out there, not that he was in terrible need of it, but just because he wanted to improve his mental toughness. They can do wonders for people who tend to choke under pressure (like me). If service dogs can be trained to remain calm under pressure, why can't people?

How about the link I just posted showing him intentionally running out of bounds and being "pounded out of bounds" in your mind, but more like bumped in most people's view. I'm always suspicious of using screenshots because you can make them show you whatever story you want to tell yourself. The full clip shows the whole story.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxvt29T6KH84wVf8GKM6Ok9kRmYHXSUU8a

Ok I will compromise and accept the announcers verdict in your clip. HE WAS SHOVED OUT OF BOUNDS.

If you can't improve someone's ability to function under stress, then why does the military train to improve under stress?

When it comes to combat, I'm sure you're correct.

When it comes to football, it's been done before. Just look at Johnathan Crompton. Heck you can argue that's what happened with Hendon.

And the people judging him to be the second coming at quarterback are only judging him on half of that - the few wee bits of playing time this year. Neat trick, that.

The need to either proclaim Milton as either a great force or a great failure is ridiculous. Mop up throws against beaten teams don't tell anyone anything.

People around here have wet their pants about every backup. JT Shrout threw one big bomb against South Carolina and everyone thought he was going to be great too. It's the same old circus, every time.

I’m in the willing to wait and see camp while also being excited to find out if he’s made the forward progress he needed in his QB journey. Hendon talked about how high a football IQ Joe has and we know he has the arm talent so things might turn out to be amazing.

I also have complete faith in this staff to know what they want in a UT quarterback and that they’ll play the best guy to obtain their objectives.

Big Joe has the physical gifts to be a Top 10 pick next year. If Will Levis can be graded in the top 3 after this year, the superior athlete and arm-strength of Joe should have NFL scouts salivating. If he has even a slightly decent year next year, he's going first round easy.

VN Store

Back