Tennessee Lady Vol News

Think we need to re-measure some players as far as height. Look at Striplin and Jackson no way Striplin is an inch taller. Jill and Sarah look the same height. Key has to be 6'8 she just towers way above everybody.

Iowa losing their Center and not adding anyone I just dont see them top 5 this season. Clark is gonna Clark, I just find them overrated.
Ole Miss at 12??
I know Kitley and Holmes came back for Vtech and Indiana but I dont see them as top 10 teams.
I was thinking 7 or 8 for UT, so 11 isnt far off. Looking forward to the season starting.

Question marks on Tennessee...how will Keys perform after illness...and the transfer haven't played one game with this team yet....also Preseason Rankings are click bait...
Doesn’t really matter with key now that Striplin started and we have jill… our team is basically the same just minus Jordy and the additions

Doesn’t really matter with key now that Striplin started and we have jill… our team is basically the same just minus Jordy and the additions
Okay whose going to be the scorer behind RJ....what happens if she has a off night...last season it was JH...who steps up this season..big question??

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Okay whose going to be the scorer behind RJ....what happens if she has a off night...last season it was JH...who steps up this season..big question??
Spear is a scorer and a big time shot maker, that’s something we was missing last year besides Rickea. That makes us a slightly better team, but if Wells can be at least close to what she was at Belmont, that makes in my opinion a final four team, but if not I think we will have an elite 8 ceiling or maybe even a sweet 16.

Lots of good dialogue taking place here.
I believe as a precaution Tamari Key plays a limited role during the first phase of non-conference games.
The medical reasons are completely unrelated but I see her playing a similar role to start the season as Jasmine Franklin last season until they can reevaluate how TK feels playing early in the season her minutes won’t increase.
As for who steps up behind Rickea J, it’s time to avoid taking a wait and see approach when dealing with proven players. Jewel Spear is a #1 option. That is why she was just named to the SEC Pre-Season 2nd Team. Spear has been the best player on the court against some of the best ACC teams without a lot of talent surrounding her.
Next there is Destinee Wells, Sara Puckett, Jillian Hollingshead who during their careers have been go-to scoring options when needed. They just have to take the next step and play consistently for a whole season in the SEC. Sara Puckett had to overcome her sophomore struggles but had an impressive Fr. year that landed her on the All-SEC Freshmen team. Jasmine Powell will get her opportunity to prove she is a SEC caliber PG. Tess Darby is an efficient 3-pt shooter. Tennessee has potent offensive weapons on this roster.

Last edited:
I got to watch practice today and came away feeling very positive about this season's team. I'm not going to give away what we saw, but I can tell you the new players were all very impressive.

I was surprised how quick Destinee Wells moves and I wished Talaysia Cooper didn't have to sit out this year - she reminds me of a young Jordan Horston! Rickea is definitely the Alpha now and I was surprised how much TK is able to do now. It was cool to see Jillian and TK play the 4 and 5 together. Sara seems to have regained her shooting touch that evaded her last year. She and Jewel Spear will be keys to our success this year.

Everyone seemed to play well together, communicate well and genuinely like each other-all positives as they form a new team this year and define their roles.

Can't wait for the season to start!

Last edited:
I got to watch practice today and came away feeling very positive about this season's team. I'm not going to give away what we saw, but I can tell you the new players were all very impressive.

I was surprised how quick Destinee Wells moves and I wished Talaysia Cooper didn't have to sit out this year! Rickea is definitely the Alpha now and I was surprised how much TK is able to do now. It was cool to see Jillian and TK play the 4 and 5 together. Sara seems to have regained her shooting touch that evaded her last year. She and Jewel Spear will be keys to our success this year.

Everyone seemed to play well together, communicate well and genuinely like each other-all positives as they form a new team this year and define their roles.

You know I'm gonna try to beat a little more info out of you. The part about TK is the best news and I'm so glad my pessimism about her was apparently wrong! Did you see her go full court at any point? Does she seem anywhere near starter mins? TK and Jill together is definitely a goal!

I can't wait to see Jewel play. I like everything about that kid. Also intrigued by Wells. She seems like a silent assassin.

...you can see for yourself in less than two weeks!

You know I'm gonna try to beat a little more info out of you. The part about TK is the best news and I'm so glad my pessimism about her was apparently wrong! Did you see her go full court at any point? Does she seem anywhere near starter mins? TK and Jill together is definitely a goal!

I can't wait to see Jewel play. I like everything about that kid. Also intrigued by Wells. She seems like a silent assassin.

Looking back at the post I made and a breakdown of an in-person practice evaluation from another poster it’s remarkable to see the correlation!
Practice and game action is certainly different but the only difference I saw is TK might be progressing towards a significant role early in the season.
I do believe playing her next to Jillian Hollingshead is a great strategy.
A frontcourt of Rickea-Jill-TK playing together could be elite.

Women's college preseason rankings are a bit like college football and basketball preseason rankings used to be during the 1970's. Whomever had the most starters and returning lettermen were ranked highest. It's a lot more layered than that.
I also believe ND is the squad whose talent exceeds their preseason ranking. As always time will tell. And the "best team" and the teams that played for/won the national title weren't the same last year. That's what makes college basketball intriguing.

I don't have the same regard for Iowa, Utah, Ohio State, Indiana or UCLA as the pollsters. I also believe that LSU is a chemical mixture that Mulkey has to stabilize. But the preseason is largely based on the past season along with notoriety (now) of transfers that no one has any idea how they'll fit at their new digs.

I was surprised how quick Destinee Wells moves and I wished Talaysia Cooper didn't have to sit out this year - she reminds me of a young Jordan Horston! Rickea is definitely the Alpha now and I was surprised how much TK is able to do now. It was cool to see Jillian and TK play the 4 and 5 together. Sara seems to have regained her shooting touch that evaded her last year. She and Jewel Spear will be keys to our success this year.

Great information thank you. I am a strong believer in Wells as she is really not an unknown she has given a lot of big time teams fits in games including the Lady Vols. I'm glad we have Cooper as a recruit she will help fill some of the void left by Jackson leaving after this season. I can only hope we see a big season out of Jewell and Sarah this season. I really like the team.

Last edited:
Rickea Jackson looks like a bigtime power forward no longer a two or three. I think she will play more of the four position inside than anywhere else. It is obvious to me that she is no longer 6'2" and is close to 6'4". She is also so much bigger and stronger than when she got to Tennessee. With the way Jill has developed and Tamari getting back with every day that passes Karoline is really going to have to be much improved to get a lot of playing time this season. I see the major difference in this years team than last season is that we can line up three 38 percent three point shooters where last season we could only lineup one and two 25 percent shooters. That is a huge difference and they have been proven players in the past for more than one season. I remember last season when defenses closed out strong on Tess and let Jordan H and Jordan W get the open looks. I want to see that again this season with Jewell and Destinnee now in those positions.

It was great for the program to see the Preseason recognition continue for the LVs as a team ranked in both polls along with Rickea Jackson & Jewel Spear being named to the All-SEC team.
Some other points to add to the discussion,
I can see Rickea Jackson having a career changing season and reaching elite status in the record books of collegiate sports in her final year. I think she’ll do it as a swing forward at the 3/4 positions.
I went back to watch film from the start of her career at MS State and one game stood out to me when they faced R. Howard at Kentucky. Jackson athleticism was on full display. With her recent growth as a player following the AmeriCup games is clear to see that Rickea is the best player in not just the SEC but arguably WCB.
Destinee Wells is a true floor general.
I honestly at this moment don’t have an idea if she starts on October 30th or not.
The film she’s put together over her career is top tier at the PG position. I think her scoring will hold at double digits but where she completely enhances this program is her ability as an elite facilitator and ball handler.
Jewel Spear as I said before is a #1 option. She has the “it” factor. Completely dominated the #1 ranked portal transfer in a head to head matchup.
Spear’s shooting prowess is underrated but not for long. Jewel will become a household name in the SEC on Rocky Top.

VN Store

Back