Tennessee Lady Vol News

If Team A shoots every 20 sec and Team B shoots every 27 secs, then each team completes 1 possession every 47 seconds. Let's pretend that both team shoot 100% and there are no rebounds or turnovers to create extra possessions. 40 min = 2400 sec. Divide by 47s, and both teams will average 51 possessions apiece.

If Team A and B both shoot every 27 secs, then possession each team completes 1 possession every 54 seconds. Using same criteria as above, both teams will average 44 possessions apiece.

No matter how many seconds a team takes to shoot, the only way a team will gain more shots than the other team is offensive rebounding to create multiple shot attempts in the same possession or forcing turnovers to limit the other team's # of possessions and shot opportunities.

All a team does by shooting quickly is create more potential possessions for both teams.
Everything being equal rebounds and turnovers etc. a team that shoots the ball in 20 seconds versus a team that shoots it in 27 seconds would get 15 shots a quarter to 11 for the 27 second shooter. There is no way that a team shooting it every 27 seconds can get up as many shots as a team shooting it every 20 seconds in a forty minute game. It comes out to 60 shots to 44 all other things being equal.

Everything being equal rebounds and turnovers etc. a team that shoots the ball in 20 seconds versus a team that shoots it in 27 seconds would get 15 shots a quarter to 11 for the 27 second shooter. There is no way that a team shooting it every 27 seconds can get up as many shots as a team shooting it every 20 seconds in a forty minute game. It comes out to 60 shots to 44 all other things being equal.
I'd like a face paced offense that results in better shots, not more shots, and never forced shots bc the internalized 20 sec clock is winding down. Maybe this one will do that. Then ya'll won't have math so hard!

Turnovers were plus 8 for the season and shots were plus 12. Opponents shot 45% to their 42.5%. There were more chances for offensive rebounds for Marshall due to a little worse shooting, so they averaged 16.4 offensive rebounds per game. If the other team had less chances for offensive rebounding, say only 12, then there is your shot differential. Looking at their box scores where they really tried to build up an advantage on the other team was second chance points and points off of turnovers. If they were ahead by a large margin in those two categories, then they usually won those games even if they shot a worse %. If those two stats were close and Marshall shot a worse %, then they usually lost. In the VA Tech game, the two categories were almost identical and VA tech shot incredibly better, hence the large margin of defeat. ,
Sure you can make shots other ways. The entire point of this is if one team shoots the ball every 20 seconds and the other every 27 seconds and all other things are equal who gets the most shots? You think the team that shoots it 27 second does? Or gets the same amount of shots in a game? All things being equal it would be 60 to 44 sorry I'm tired of explaining that point.

If Team A shoots every 20 sec and Team B shoots every 27 secs, then each team completes 1 possession every 47 seconds. Let's pretend that both team shoot 100% and there are no rebounds or turnovers to create extra possessions. 40 min = 2400 sec. Divide by 47s, and both teams will average 51 possessions apiece.

If Team A and B both shoot every 27 secs, then possession each team completes 1 possession every 54 seconds. Using same criteria as above, both teams will average 44 possessions apiece.

No matter how many seconds a team takes to shoot, the only way a team will gain more shots than the other team is offensive rebounding to create multiple shot attempts in the same possession or forcing turnovers to limit the other team's # of possessions and shot opportunities.

All a team does by shooting quickly is create more potential possessions for both teams.
Not shots at the basket if one team is shooting it in 20 seconds everytime down and the other is shooting it in 27.

I'd like a face paced offense that results in better shots, not more shots, and never forced shots bc the internalized 20 sec clock is winding down. Maybe this one will do that. Then ya'll won't have math so hard!
I like more shots if they are good shots. I like an edge in shots around 15 a game in anyway you can make that happen. Be it rebounding, turnovers, or shot clock management.

Reactions: glv98
I just did the math above. You're leaving out that possessions alternate, so the team shooting in 20 seconds is speeding up the overall turnaround time for possessions for BOTH teams, not just the faster team. That strategy will give both teams more possessions. The team that uses more shot clock will get the ball back sooner because the faster team time of possession will be shorter, so more possessions will be available. Once you add in rebounds and turnovers, there's an opportunity to take possessions away from the other team, or to take more shots during the same possession, and that's how you can get a shot discrepancy. But shooting quicker doesn't mean you'll automatically get more possessions or shot attempts.

I just did the math above. You're leaving out that possessions alternate, so the team shooting in 20 seconds is speeding up the overall turnaround time for possessions for BOTH teams, not just the faster team. That strategy will give both teams more possessions. The team that uses more shot clock will get the ball back sooner because the faster team time of possession will be shorter, so more possessions will be available. Once you add in rebounds and turnovers, there's an opportunity to take possessions away from the other team, or to take more shots during the same possession, and that's how you can get a shot discrepancy. But shooting quicker doesn't mean you'll automatically get more possessions or shot attempts.
Ok in five minutes how many shots can a team shooting every 20 seconds get. In five minutes how many shots can a team shooting 27 seconds get. They got five minutes each all other things are equal. How many shots does each team get in their five minutes. Because the clock runs out every quarter at ten minutes. Not talking about possessions shots on goal. I'm not adding anything it is all equal just one team shoots in 20 and the other shoots in 27.

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
The way I understand it, the relentless defensive pressure and everyone crashing the boards every time on both ends should result in a few more steals and more offensive possessions and obviously then more shots.

It will obviously be easier to get more steals and rebounds for possession against some teams than others, but as we all know, MANY games come down to a score difference of only one point. If Caldwell's system can create even a handful of extra possessions that result in scores each game it'll be a good system to stick with.

I'm more excited to see what her Plan B will be if the Lady Vols are having a bad day on the court and the pressure collapses immediately. It's inevitable that they will have sluggish days because every team does. How will Caldwell keep them competitive on those days? Gonna be interesting to find out.

The way I understand it, the relentless defensive pressure and everyone crashing the boards every time on both ends should result in a few more steals and more offensive possessions and obviously then more shots.

It will obviously be easier to get more steals and rebounds for possession against some teams than others, but as we all know, MANY games come down to a score difference of only one point. If Caldwell's system can create even a handful of extra possessions that result in scores each game it'll be a good system to stick with.

I'm more excited to see what her Plan B will be if the Lady Vols are having a bad day on the court and the pressure collapses immediately. It's inevitable that they will have sluggish days because every team does. How will Caldwell keep them competitive on those days? Gonna be interesting to find out.
All true, but in addition she does play a WNBA clock and tries to force or allows other teams to play the 30 second one.

Reactions: lvocd
Ok in five minutes how many shots can a team shooting every 20 seconds get. In five minutes how many shots can a team shooting 27 seconds get. They got five minutes each all other things are equal. How many shots does each team get in their five minutes. Because the clock runs out every quarter at ten minutes. Not talking about possessions shots on goal. I'm not adding anything it is all equal just one team shoots in 20 and the other shoots in 27.
Again, you're ignoring the fact that possessions alternate. In five minutes, with team A shooting every 20 sec and team B shooting every 27 sec, that means possession will alternate every 47 seconds. Assuming 1 shot per possession, one team will get 6 possessions/shots and one team will get 7 possessions/shots, depending on who has the ball first.

What will end up happening is that time of possession would be heavily skewed to the team that takes longer to shoot, but the overall # of possessions for each team will be the same. So in 10 minutes with each team getting 13 possessions, Team A will have the ball for 4 min and team B will have the ball for 6.

That would be 300 seconds in 5 minutes. 20 seconds+27 seconds each time is 47 seconds. 47 seconds goes into 300 about 6.38 times. Each team would get 6 possessions all things being equal(no turnovers or o boards. That leaves about 17 extra seconds left in that 5 minute stretch. Technically, you might get 1 extra possession with all things being equal.

Reactions: Bret178
Let's see if this can end this back-and-forth for good...

5:00-4:40: Team A shoots (1)
4:40-4:13: Team B shoots (1)
4:13-3:53: Team A shoots (2)
3:53-3:26: Team B shoot (2)
3:26-3:06: Team A shoots (3)
3:06-2:39: Team B shoots (3)
2:39-2:19: Team A shoots (4)
2:19-1:52: Team B shoots (4)
1:52-1:32: Team A shoots (5)
1:32-1:05: Team B shoots (5)
1:05-0:45: Team A shoots (6)
0:45-0:18: Team B shoots (6)
0:18-0:00: Team A shoots (7)

So, Team A got one more shot, just because they had the ball first and the 5 minutes ended. But all things being equal, it's the same amount of shots and possessions. To Amb's point, the possessions still alternate, regardless of how fast one team or the other is shooting the ball.

Again, you're ignoring the fact that possessions alternate. In five minutes, with team A shooting every 20 sec and team B shooting every 27 sec, that means possession will alternate every 47 seconds. Assuming 1 shot per possession, one team will get 6 possessions/shots and one team will get 7 possessions/shots, depending on who has the ball first.
I'm not forgetting that they alternate. The team that shoots in 20 seconds gets three shots in two minutes compared to only two for the 27 second shooting team. That is 1 minute and 54 seconds and the team that shoots it in 20 has the ball back again before the two minutes is up. So run that five times and see how many shots each team gets. 15 times 20 versus 27 times 11 will get you to 10 minutes.

So, Team A got one more shot, just because they had the ball first and the 5 minutes ended. But all things being equal, it's the same amount of shots and possessions. To Amb's point, the possessions still alternate, regardless of how fast one team or the other is shooting the ball.
THANK YOU! I'll let you continue the debate, because I don't know how else to explain this.

If you add up the amount of time each team has the ball, then Team A has it for a much shorter period of time because they are shooting faster. It's not like each team has the ball for 5 min each.

Off on the amount of shots but that is eight more a game so accepted.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'm not forgetting that they alternate. The team that shoots in 20 seconds gets three shots in two minutes compared to only two for the 27 second shooting team. That is 1 minute and 54 seconds and the team that shoots it in 20 has the ball back again before the two minutes is up. So run that five times and see how many shots each team gets. 15 times 20 versus 27 times 11 will get you to 10 minutes.
I’m really trying not to be argumentative with you, In a 10 minute quarter there are 600 seconds total, each team together takes 47 seconds combined in this scenario. 600 divided by 47 is 12.76. Each team would get 12 possessions, plus there would be an extra 35.72 seconds with all things being equal. So team A runs their twenty second play in that last 35.72 seconds for their 13th possession. Team B would then have 15.72 seconds to run their 13th possession. They would still have the same amount of possessions, just team B would half the time to run their 27 second play.

Reactions: Majac
I’m really trying not to be argumentative with you, In a 10 minute quarter there are 600 seconds total, each team together takes 47 seconds combined in this scenario. 600 divided by 47 is 12.76. Each team would get 12 possessions, plus there would be an extra 35.72 seconds with all things being equal. So team A runs their twenty second play in that last 35.72 seconds for their 13th possession. Team B would then have 15.72 seconds to run their 13th possession. They would still have the same amount of possessions, just team B would half the time to run their 27 second play.
Got the answer two additional possessions for the team shooting 20 second versus the team shooting 27.

Reactions: spojo13
Got the answer two additional possessions for the team shooting 20 second versus the team shooting 27.
Yeah, you are right that they might get a few more possessions that way if all things are equal. I really do think the advantage in turnovers and offensive rebounds is where Marshall really pushed their possession advantage to a larger margin.

VN Store

Back