Tennessee Lady Vol News

Yeah, you are right that they might get a few more possessions that way if all things are equal. I really do think the advantage in turnovers and offensive rebounds is where Marshall really pushed their possession advantage to a larger margin.
The end result whatever the reason was 30 made field goals on 43 percent shooting to 26 made field goals on 45 percent shooting by opponents.

Reactions: spojo13
It would only be six to six in the second quarter so two additional shots per game.
5:00-4:33: Team B shoots (1)
4:33-4:13: Team A shoots (1)
4:13-3:46: Team B shoots (2)
3:46-3:26: Team A shoot (2)
3:26-2:59: Team B shoots (3)
2:59-2:39: Team A shoots (3)
2:39-2:22: Team B shoots (4)
2:22-1:52: Team A shoots (4)
1:52-1:25: Team B shoots (5)
1:25-1:05: Team A shoots (5)
1:05-0:38: Team B shoots (6)
0:38-0:18: Team A shoots (6)
0:18-0:00: Team B shoots (7)

Team B still has 7 possessions. They just only have 18s to shoot instead of 27s. In the first scenario, Team A also only has 18s to shoot instead of 20s for the final possession, so if you take away a possession from Team B, you also take one from Team A.

5:00-4:33: Team B shoots (1)
4:33-4:13: Team A shoots (1)
4:13-3:46: Team B shoots (2)
3:46-3:26: Team A shoot (2)
3:26-2:59: Team B shoots (3)
2:59-2:39: Team A shoots (3)
2:39-2:22: Team B shoots (4)
2:22-1:52: Team A shoots (4)
1:52-1:25: Team B shoots (5)
1:25-1:05: Team A shoots (5)
1:05-0:38: Team B shoots (6)
0:38-0:18: Team A shoots (6)
0:18-0:00: Team B shoots (7)

Team B still has 7 possessions. They just only have 18s to shoot instead of 27s. In the first scenario, Team A also only has 18s to shoot instead of 20s for the final possession, so if you take away a possession from Team B, you also take one from Team A.
Sounds right neither team would have time to take that last shot. Team A barely misses and Team B misses by a lot more.

Calhoun is one of the worst opinion writers I have ever read. He doesn't know how to research a topic he is writing on, nor write complete paragraphs when trying to do so, and has never learned how to use spell check because his articles are always a mess. Then you have Adams, the Worst clickbait writer in Knoxville. Neither of them should be allowed to write for a local publication (especially about women's basketball anyway) and worse yet, to hear & see their interview says it all. Adams looks like he is coming off a 3-day drunk. Both are trashy writers...
100%!
and i don't even think Adams REALLY follows wcbb. i literally have refused to pay for knox news until he no longer appears in print.

What about all the extra possessions? Thats what I’m trying to figure out, how CKC’s system generates so many more possessions per game without out rebounding the opposition, and with say +8 turnovers per game. Seems she is finding a way for an extra 12 POSSESSIONS above TO margin per game in light of the above stats. There is piece I am missing, again, has to be there because her teams do it.
I'm a bit stumped too.

VT was 28-52 from the floor (So 24 missed shots)
26-31 on free throws (so between 0 and 5 opportunities for rebounds)
Marshall was 19-78 from the floor (so 59 missed shots)
5-8 on free throws (so between 0 and 3 opportunities for rebounds)
VT's 24 missed shots: 19 defensive rebounds for Marshall, 4 offensive rebounds for VT
So 1 missed shot unaccounted for (plus as many as 5 missed shots on the last free throw of a sequence)

Marshall's 59 missed shots: 37 defensive rebounds for VT, 14 offensive rebounds for Marshall
That leaves 8 missed shots unaccounted for (plus as many as 3 missed shots on the last free throw of a sequence)

Both teams had 15 turnovers.
VT had 7 steals; Marshall had 6.
26 fouls for Marshall (did all of them lead to a free throw?)
14 fouls for VT (no more than 8 led to a free throw)

Jump balls figure to be even.
I'll try to figure it out another time.

So how does CKC’s teams, who had a negative rebounding number last year, coupled with a plus 8 turnover margin get something like 20 more possessions and sometimes more than 20+ shots a game over their opponents? That was my initial question…they do it though so there has to be an answer.
Say both teams start on a pace to get 50 shot chances a game.
if you force the other team into 10 more turnovers, you are now up to 60 shot chances, you opponent is down to 40.

Say both teams start on a pace to get 50 shot chances a game.
if you force the other team into 10 more turnovers, you are now up to 60 shot chances, you opponent is down to 40.
Someone looked it up the other day and the league leader in turnover margin last season was Auburn at just under five more t.o.s forced per game. Highly unlikely anyone doubles that next year in an even tougher league.

Everything being equal rebounds and turnovers, etc., A team that shoots the ball in 20 seconds versus a team that shoots it in 27 seconds would get 15 shots a quarter to 11 for the 27-second shooter. There is no way that a team shooting it every 27 seconds can get up as many shots as a team shooting it every 20 seconds in a forty-minute game. It comes out to 60 shots to 44, all other things being equal.
My only concern is that CKC’s formula did not work well against North Carolina State. The saving grace is that CKC has much better players at Tennessee than she had at Marshall, and I believe she is intelligent and understands the hand she has been dealt to play.

Someone looked it up the other day and the league leader in turnover margin last season was Auburn at just under five more t.o.s forced per game. Highly unlikely anyone doubles that next year in an even tougher league.
Some of their margin was making 11 threes a game to the opponents 5 per game. Still 86 points to 71 allowed is how they ended up even with the blowout at the end. They were a plus 8 in turnovers doubt they can do that well in the SEC. They got to the line 21 times a game only average making 14. Rebounds were about dead even with opponents.

We are gonna miss her big time. She is the real deal!!
Lots more about this in the WNBA discussion thread, though it is Lady Vol News too. Also good stuff about Jordy, Rae and the other pro LVFLs

Funny thing is Ricka didn't look particularly comfortable after just 3 or 4 days of practice w team, but still scored 10 pts bc she could score in her sleep. Wait til she gets truly comfy.

Some of their margin was making 11 threes a game to the opponents 5 per game. Still 86 points to 71 allowed is how they ended up even with the blowout at the end. They were a plus 8 in turnovers doubt they can do that well in the SEC. They got to the line 21 times a game only average making 14. Rebounds were about dead even with opponents.

She’ll have more talented players in the SEC. I expect her coaching to translate well. If you can coach, you can coach. The fact that everyone on here is trying to figure out “how she does it” is a good thing. There isn’t one clear cut answer, that means she has the intangibles needed.

Last edited:
Does the team shooting it in 20 seconds get more shots in a game than a team shooting it every 27 seconds everything else being even. What is your answer. Because I showed it to you on the Marshall stats and you keep talking about possessions which are immaterial to winning a game. Shots made win games and shooting early in the shot clock while another team doesn't clearly gives you more chances to make points.
To answer your question, they would take the same amount of shots in a game against each other. Providing factors such as turnovers, rebounding and fouls are not included.
Would a team that took a shot every 20 seconds take more shots than a team, in DIFFERENT game, which took 27 seconds to take a shot, all other factors being equal ?
Yes.
But then your comparing different games entirely.
In the same game one team can shoot as fast as they want. The faster they shoot the quicker the other team gets the ball.
It's not like team A is left out alone for a half (20 minutes) to see how many shots they can take. Then team B gets 20 minutes to see how many shots they can take. In that scenario, if team A took a shot every 20 seconds it would take more shots than the team that took a shot every 27 seconds. But the game isn't played like that.
Because possession is alternated, the team's have an equal amount of possessions. All other factors being equal.

Here I am, the MARSHALL grad again, to post some more info about KIM CALDWELL. I continue to be intrigued by all the statistical info relating to MARSHALL stats and games, mostly about WAKE FORREST and VIRGINIA TECH. I know it has been difficult to get info on MARSHALL'S games this year so I am here to help in that regard. I would suggest that the games you ought to watch are the QUARTERFINAL, SEMIFINAL, and SUN BELT CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES which MARSHALL won. The SUN BELT CHAMPIONSHIP GAME is the one game in particular you all ought to see. It is an ALL- TIME ESPN CLASSIC GAME. THE STATS for that game are actually UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! MARSHALL shot the ball 50 more times than JAMES MADISON. The other stats are just as incredible. I won't spoil the whole bit but MARSHALL won it in OVERTIME. It was not unusual for MARSHALL'S undersized lineup to outrebound their opponents on the offensive boards. In one game, they did it to the tune of 33 rebounds. This is why DANNY WHITE picked her. But I want to tell you something else about her, KIM CALDWELL said that she preferred for her team to be behind rather than ahead. She said she was very comfortable being DOWN BY 8 POINTS!!! Imagine that. And she wasn't kidding because I cannot count the number of games MARSHALL was behind by 10 to 15 points this season. And I have already talked about the 26 turnovers forced each game and this was a team that though they shot more threes than anybody, they also missed a whole lot of them. In those games they scored about 80 points or so. When they hit the threes, they would score over 90 or 100. Give her a chance guys. SHE WILL TRUST HER PLAYERS. Why don't you do the same?

24WBKB_Recap_Championship.jpg

Women's Basketball 3/11/2024 5:53:41 PM

Marshall Wins 2024 Hercules Tires Sun Belt Conference Women’s Basketball Championship​

Story Links​

Box Score | Photo Gallery | Championship Central

PENSACOLA, Fla. – Marshall captured the 2024 Hercules Tires Sun Belt Women’s Basketball Championship in a thrilling 95-92 overtime win over James Madison on Monday in the Pensacola Bay Center.

With the win, Marshall will make its first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 1997 after earning the Sun Belt Conference's automatic bid.

It continues a record-setting year for Marshall, who is now 26-6 in the first season under head coach Kim Caldwell.

The Herd got huge efforts out of several different players to lead to the victory. Meredith Maier notched team-highs of 20 points and seven rebounds while Aislynn Hayes added 19 points. Breanna Campbell added 15 points while Abby Beeman notched a double-double with 10 points and 11 assists and Mahogany Matthews added 10 points and five blocks.

Marshall forced James Madison into 39 turnovers, which led to 48 of the Herd's 95 points in the contest. The Herd also grabbed 33 offensive rebounds against the nation's top defensive rebounding team, which also led to 25 second-chance points that helped offset a tough shooting performance.

In overtime, Marshall got a pair of huge shots from Hayes – a 3-pointer with 2:02 left that gave the Herd the lead and then a jumper through contact as the shot clock expired with 29 seconds left to make it 92-88.

It was a gutsy overtime effort that saw Campbell play the entire session and direct the offense after Beeman fouled out late in regulation.

Marshall trailed late in the third quarter, but used the momentum of a three-pointer by Maier to get its offense going. Sydni Scott’s bucket at the horn tied the game at 52 going into the fourth quarter. The Herd used that momentum to its advantage, scoring the first eight points in the fourth and continued its offensive surge throughout with Maier scoring 13 of her 20 points in the final regulation period, which set up the electric finish.

Marshall's Sun Belt Tournament championship was one for the ages as the Herd shattered several long-standing Sun Belt Conference records along the way, including the following:

- Most Points in a Tournament: 287
- Most 3-point Field Goals Made: 30
- Most 3-point Field Goal Attempts: 96
- Most Steals: 44
- Most Points in a Game: 116
- Most Points in a Half: 62
- Most Field Goals Made in a Game: 47
- Most 3-pt Field Goals in a Game: 13
HERE ARE THE SUN BELT TOURNAMENT RECORDS SET BY MARSHALL.

Sure you can make shots other ways. The entire point of this is if one team shoots the ball every 20 seconds and the other every 27 seconds and all other things are equal who gets the most shots? You think the team that shoots it 27 second does? Or gets the same amount of shots in a game? All things being equal it would be 60 to 44 sorry I'm tired of explaining that point.
LOL, ok, just follow me for a second. If team A shoots the ball in 20 seconds, and team B shoots it in 27 seconds, that is 1 posession and shot for both. Team A goes down again and shoots in 20 seconds, one shot, team B takes a shot in 27 seconds and shoots. That is 2 posessions each. Going back and forth, whether you shoot in 20 seconds or 27 seconds, each team only has the same number of shots unless the following happens:
1- Team B turns it over which means team A will get an additional shot.
2- Team A gets an offensive rebound after they miss a shot, so that will be an additional shot.

No turnovers, or no offensive rebounds mean both teams will end up taking about the same number of shots no matter how long, or how short the time their possession is.

She’ll have more talented players in the SEC. I expect her coaching to translate well. If you can coach, you can coach. The fact that everyone on here is trying to figure out “how she does it” is a good thing. There isn’t one clear cut answer, that means she has the intangibles needed.
i wonder how many coaches could have led that roster to. 17-1 sunbelt record and a NCAA tourney bid…. Not many, imo.

volbeast33 said:
i wonder how many coaches could have led that roster to. 17-1 sunbelt record and a NCAA tourney bid…. Not many, imo.

I am so impressed about that. When people comment on how many shots Marshall missed and how the defense was limited if it didn't get the steal. remember that this team had a lower level of talent compared to other teams in their league. That is why Marshall was picked so low in their conference and why it had been decades since they even went to the NCAAs. Moreover, when she was hired there they didn't have any NIL money to compete with anyone.
Fast forward to Coach Caldwell at UT. We are not at the bottom of the league in talent. We are either middle of the pack or high middle (especially if we get Ruby). With Ruby, we will have 7 players on the team that have been either high school All American, all Freshman team in a power 5 conference, and/or all conference team. So, we are not the dregs of the conference in terms of talent. So even though Coach Caldwell will be dealing with playing against much better talent than she had to deal with at Marshall, she will not have a disadvantage in talent against most SEC teams. This will give her more resources to modify her approach when it is called for. It may also result in better shooting and defense. It also underscores how remarkable her accomplishment was at Marshall.

I think it's funny when posters are trying to figure out how many shots the team will take during a game. It doesn't matter how fast you play you won't put up any more shots than the opponent unless you get a lot of offensive rebounds and they turn the ball over. 20 seconds, 35 seconds, it doesn't matter. If the team doesn't make the shots, it doesn't matter how fast you take them. The priority is to take a good shot, not a semi-good shot just to put it up. A fast-paced offense will only occur about half the time, depending on how that certain team is playing you. If the defense is running back after they take a shot and not trying to offensive rebound, the defense will be in position and a transition play can't occur. The team still has to have a decent half court offense, and I would hope that they will look for a good one. The main and most important player running this offense is the point guard. She must be willing to push every play if possible, and they must have good court vision to make that critical pass at the right time to the right person. You cannot predict how the offense will play until you see what the defense is giving you. Playing against good coaches like Dawn and Kim will be a challenge to what CKC will be able to run. Good luck to her, hopefully she has run into that scenario before, but unfortunately for her, the coaching level is a little more elite than in her past games.
I guess yall skipped basic math in Storrs. If I take twice as many shots as u do in the same time frame for a full game, I will double the shots u take. It's not rocket science. Teams don't full court press in the NBA for a full game. Yet, the teams that take quicker shots, get up more shots than teams that use the entire shot clock

I guess yall skipped basic math in Storrs. If I take twice as many shots as u do in the same time frame for a full game, I will double the shots u take. It's not rocket science. Teams don't full court press in the NBA for a full game. Yet, the teams that take quicker shots, get up more shots than teams that use the entire shot clock
Just when I thought i was out, they pull me back in.

I think it's funny when posters are trying to figure out how many shots the team will take during a game. It doesn't matter how fast you play you won't put up any more shots than the opponent unless you get a lot of offensive rebounds and they turn the ball over. 20 seconds, 35 seconds, it doesn't matter. If the team doesn't make the shots, it doesn't matter how fast you take them. The priority is to take a good shot, not a semi-good shot just to put it up. A fast-paced offense will only occur about half the time, depending on how that certain team is playing you. If the defense is running back after they take a shot and not trying to offensive rebound, the defense will be in position and a transition play can't occur. The team still has to have a decent half court offense, and I would hope that they will look for a good one. The main and most important player running this offense is the point guard. She must be willing to push every play if possible, and they must have good court vision to make that critical pass at the right time to the right person. You cannot predict how the offense will play until you see what the defense is giving you. Playing against good coaches like Dawn and Kim will be a challenge to what CKC will be able to run. Good luck to her, hopefully she has run into that scenario before, but unfortunately for her, the coaching level is a little more elite than in her past games.
Prime example is the Magic. They play at one of the slowest paces in the NBA. They get up 84 shots a game. Doesn't matter who they play. Doesn't matter how many rebs or steals they get they avg 84 shots because of their pace of play. The Wizards play at one of the fastest paces in the NBA and they get up 91 shots a game. That's a 14-21 point difference. Quicker shots mean more shots, and the only way it doesn't is if the opponent also gets up quick shots.

VN Store

Back