Tennessee Lady Vols having issues defending guard play.

Don't intend to highjack this thread, but Holly's insistence on using man defense is compounding the problem with our guards. They switched to a zone late in the first half for one possession, and got a steal. The only steal of the game.

So why does she use man defense?

It's been a tradition at TN to play man defense - the better teams usually do. Successful man defense requires quickness, anticipation, communication, and a work ethic. Size and length help also.

The LV's are ok in the size and length department but lack all the other qualities needed.

A zone is probably a better option, but from what I have seen of it, the LV's aren't any good at zone either, probably because they haven't practiced it.

Best I can do for you.

Or maybe our guards are not as good as everyone think they are... I mean most of them are veterans... I thought Jordan was going to step like Kamiko did her senior year. wuteva. She still has time tho.

Middleton,
Meme,
Jordan,
Diamond,

None are consistent, which means average to below average. But the things is they are not as talented one vs one, but they can be solid as a unit, as a team, if they played together.

Defense is heart, and will. U gotta want too.

Reactions: 1 person
It's been a tradition at TN to play man defense - the better teams usually do. Successful man defense requires quickness, anticipation, communication, and a work ethic. Size and length help also.

The LV's are ok in the size and length department but lack all the other qualities needed.

A zone is probably a better option, but from what I have seen of it, the LV's aren't any good at zone either, probably because they haven't practiced it.

Best I can do for you.
Thanks so much for the response to my question. To continue to play man when it does not work makes no sense to me.

the new rules for defenders not being able to hand check and the ridiculous non consistent foul calls have totally changed to the worse the game of bball. And don't get me started on the shot clock...... :(

Diamond D should become starting point guard
and practice firing stinging passes to other players
until they learn to catch and react properly.

Reactions: 4 people
the new rules for defenders not being able to hand check and the ridiculous non consistent foul calls have totally changed to the worse the game of bball. And don't get me started on the shot clock...... :(

I would add that posts get completely mauled with no calls while touch fouls rule the day outside the paint.I for one just do not understand why the difference.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Perhaps particularly true after she sacrificed her knee and other parts of her body going after the ball while the "princesses" stood around waiting for someone to hand them the ball, gently.

Last edited:
Perhaps particularly true after she sacrificed her knee and other parts of her body going after the ball while the "princesses" stood around waiting for someone to hand them the ball, gently.

Andraya, bless her heart, was not afraid to hit the floor for loose balls and certainly gave it all on the defensive side...but that doesn't change the fact that she was an average on the ball defender at best. Over her 4 years playing for Tennessee, there have been countless guards who could easily blow past her to the hoop with no problem.

And she was also one of the absolute worst players the LVs have ever had on offense. She was terrified to shoot the ball and essentially reduced the offense to 3 on 5 (Jordan wasn't about to shoot either), and when she wasn't playing hot potato once a basketball was thrown to her, she would dribble the shot clock away.

LV for life for sure, but she was not a good player.

Reactions: 5 people

What does that have to do with anything? She still couldn't stop dribble penetration any better guard on the team, despite many LV fans making her out to be some insanely gifted lockdown defender.

Reactions: 2 people
One thing that stands out to me this year for the Lady Vols basketball team is there inability to defend guards. Just look at the 3 games we loss and and the 1 game we struggled with against JMU. They had one guard to basically beat us which has affected our season so far.

JMU - Precious Hall 39 pts

Penn State - Teniya Page 29 pts

Virginia Tech - Chanette Hicks 24 pts (career high)

Baylor - Alexis Jones 30 pts

Our guards are being outplayed big time this season!

Definitely the reason were losing along with guards are also shooting horribly. If they score we got to score. Teams are dominating our guards.

Don't intend to highjack this thread, but Holly's insistence on using man defense is compounding the problem with our guards. They switched to a zone late in the first half for one possession, and got a steal. The only steal of the game.

So why does she use man defense?

This year she is trying to use a man to man with no help and very little switching. Middleton is getting killed and so is Reynolds. Nared can't guard anybody either. If you watch those three you will see what is happening easy layups for the opponents.

Our coaching staff has a knack for bringing in the worst in players, and the team, not the best. Every year we bring in guards that show promise, sometimes lots of it, and by their junior year they've not improved and we're all talking about their weaknesses. I thought Massengale would be great--finally, a bona fide point guard. Didn't happen. Mediocre defender, soft, etc. Carter: not a lot of size but an excellent athlete with a great work rate. Career upshot: Meh. Our best defender and yet she got beat a lot off the dribble and contributed very little on offense. We wouldn't notice our guards getting beat so much if the other four players would get their heads of their shorts and learn the fundamentals of help defense. Our help defense, as a team, is terrible--players not paying attention to what is going on with the ball away from them.

Reynolds: great size and athleticism...showed early on an ability to take her defender down the lane to the basket and score from 8 feet in...should be a force...but seems to have regressed. Not a great defender and not enough scoring. Middleton, Simmons, Jackson: every player on every team has strengths and weaknesses, and coaching is supposed to produce a cohesive team that highlights individual and team strengths. Our coaches do JUST THE OPPOSITE. Look at Middleton: She needs to be a spot-up shooter on this team but is shooting terribly and seems to have no confidence. Injuries have been a factor. I'm sure Carter and Cooper would help--but how much? We had them last year. If those two were playing, we /might/ be a tiny bit better, but we'd still have the same problems and still be losing games.

Reactions: 1 person
i refer the previous two posters to her true freshman year, before she lost her shoulder.

She only played 7 games her freshman year, and most were against scrub teams. I don't think any of the teams they played during this period had guards that were prolific scorers.

i refer the previous two posters to her true freshman year, before she lost her shoulder.

A shoulder injury caused her to all of the sudden lose the ability to stop dribble penetration? M'kay. :hmm:

I would say this carries more weight with her inability to score and being afraid to shoot than it does her defensive prowess, but I actually saw Draya play A LOT in high school and you are completely wrong there, too. She was never a big scorer in high school and always deferred to others on her high school team. When she played with Kaela Davis she was practically an afterthought on that team, despite Draya being just as capable of being an elite scorer with all of her physical tools. Draya's weakness was NEVER physical with her injuries. It was mental block with her even long before she got to UT. She had the athletic ability, quickness and shooting form to be an all-conference (if not all-american) player in college, and instead she settled for just being an average glue player.

Reactions: 2 people
One thing that stands out to me this year for the Lady Vols basketball team is there inability to defend guards. Just look at the 3 games we loss and and the 1 game we struggled with against JMU. They had one guard to basically beat us which has affected our season so far.

I think the only option is go totally to a zone and be very active in packing it in. If they have a great three point shooter a box and 1. We can't guard man to man done seen it is not going to happen against the quicker and better teams.

A shoulder injury caused her to all of the sudden lose the ability to stop dribble penetration? M'kay. :hmm:

I would say this carries more weight with her inability to score and being afraid to shoot than it does her defensive prowess, but I actually saw Draya play A LOT in high school and you are completely wrong there, too. She was never a big scorer in high school and always deferred to others on her high school team. When she played with Kaela Davis she was practically an afterthought on that team, despite Draya being just as capable of being an elite scorer with all of her physical tools. Draya's weakness was NEVER physical with her injuries. It was mental block with her even long before she got to UT. She had the athletic ability, quickness and shooting form to be an all-conference (if not all-american) player in college, and instead she settled for just being an average glue player.

You watched a different player than I did. I recall her having over 100 pts in the state playoffs her junior year (but my memory may be fuzzy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=oLSDHi53sm0&index=7&list=PLEB45AD725A34E54E

Last edited:

Our point guards couldn't guard a statue. Nared not much better. If you look at how the other teams are scoring points just look who is guarding them in the man to man. You will see that whomever Nared, Middleton or Reynolds is guarding is scoring everytime they feel like shooting or going to the basket. Diamond has days when she isn't much better and even Meme who is usually decent on defense was taking a butt stomping from the girl at Penn State.

Easy to see why were losing. Were shooting 41 percent as a team and turning the ball over 16 times a game. We could turn these losses into wins by shooting 45 percent and get the turnovers down to 10. This would pump our offense up about 10 ppg which would result in more wins than losses.

VN Store

Back