Tennessee Lady Vols Volleyball 2023

UTKVolsfan2013

Did not see a thread started for this team and thought why not get things going! Eve Rackham has put together a squad this year that if they continue to improve can succeed not only in the SEC but the NCAA tournament as well! Here is a nice recap I found from a volleyball forum VolleyTalk that puts together a good outlook for 2023:

2022 Recap: Injuries were unkind to the Lady Vols this season, as both Morghan Fingall and especially Danielle Mahaffey missed time (Mahaffey only saw action in 10 matches all season). When they were both full strength, the Vols looked like an almost entirely different team, at least for a while. The LV’s season was a roller coaster in terms of results, and a very tough early schedule (Purdue, Ohio State, Pitt, WKU) didn’t do them any real favors when they turned around and lost to Bowling Green and Colgate (COLGATE?!?!). The SEC slate was also pretty mixed, with losses to TAMU and Alabama mixed in with sweeps of Mississippi State and LSU. In retrospect, looking over their schedule, it’s a bit of a surprise that they made the tournament (SOS?), because LSU looks like their best win all season. But make it they did, and they played a strong Purdue team tough before losing in 5 in the 1st round. The post-season got off to a pretty rocky start when former DS Paula Laborda took to social media to accuse the coaching staff of psychological abuse and cultural insensitivity.

Departures: After returning for their COVID years, S Natalie Hayward and MB Danielle Mahaffey are out of eligibility. Starting OPP Morghan Fingall, backup S Kylie Robinson, and DS Abigail Matoso were also recognized on Senior Day, but Fingall and Robinson have already announced their return. As noted above, DS Laborda has entered the portal, as has 6’4” RS-Jr OPP Emily Merrick (grad transfer).

Key Returners: In addition to COVID Srs Fingall (OPP) and Robinson (S), who are the presumptive starters at their positions, the Wrasslin’ Rackhams are expected to return OHs Erykah Lovett (Jr), Kadynce Booth (Soph), and Jasmine Brooks (Sr). In the middle 6’3” SEC All-Freshman Keondraya Granberry is back, along with RS-Sophs 6’5” Emily Beeker and 6’6” Klaudia Pawlik. Starting L Ashllyn King returns, along with DSs JaKya Moore (Sr) and Abby Ekeler (Jr).

Newcomers: Rich Kern identifies 5 Tennessee commits for 2023, but to date, only 3 have been announced by the school. These include DS/L Sydney Jaynes (PV #44), 6’1” OH Mackenzie Plante (PV #120), and 6’ OH Kamille Gibson. The other 2 unannounced commits listed on RK include 6’1” OH Cate Schnell (whose Insta account includes posts about her signing), and DS/L Katie Barrier.

2023 Outlook: Losing Hayward and Mahaffey is going to hurt, but Robinson will finally get her chance to shine in Knoxville and shake the bad memories of her time in Eugene. The LV’s will have to hope that either Pawlik or Beeker is ready to step into the MB spot that Mahaffey is leaving, or they’ll have to pull in a transfer. Between Brooks, Lovett, and Booth, there ought to be some consistent production on the pins, right? If not, perhaps they’re counting on a newcomer to provide what’s missing. I really like Fingall, but I’m not entirely sold on what looks like the 2023 edition of the Lady Vols just yet, and I am curious about how Laborda’s parting accusations might affect (or not) the program. I kind of see the Eastern Orange Empire holding steady in the upper middle of the conference.

Portal news: The Lady Vols announced the addition of Bowling Green L Yelianiz Torres. Also added for the fall OH Jenaisya Moore from Ohio State and S Lauren Woodford from Syracuse. Added MB Raeven Chase from Eastern Michigan

Schedule: Eve has put together quite the stretch for this bunch after the opening weekend. This team should handle Texas State, Marist, and UT Martin, but all three teams had great regular seasons in 2022. They then go to San Diego to play Boston College (winners of the volleyball NIT) and San Diego (2022 Final Four team). AT Wisconsin (2022 Elite 8) to play in one of the toughest volleyball environments in the country. AT Loyola-Chicago (2022 NCAA First Round) who gave us fits at our place last year. AT Marquette (2022 Sweet 16) that beat Kentucky at Kentucky last season. This is all before SEC play and I for one am glad Eve is really challenging this team because there is a chance we could see any of those 5 teams in the postseason.

Lineup: So in an exhibition with Lipscomb (which we won 3-0) on Friday the starting lineup looked like this:
OH: Erika Lovett
OH: Jenaisya Moore
MB: KeKe Granberry
MB: Klaudia Pawlik
Opp: Morghan Fingall
S: Caroline Kerr
L: Yelaniz Torres
Ashlynn King got a lot of playing time as well at DS.

Rewatching that match (which is available on ESPN+) this lineup showed to be very athletic and very aggressive at the net. Lipscomb is one of the best mid-majors in the country and our blocking looked pretty ferocious against a well-organized team. Fingall looks to be a for sure All-American candidate that will be the arm we go to when we need a point. The experience Moore will bring coming from Ohio State will be huge, you have to be at your best every night in that league. Caroline Kerr looked fantastic and her style of play will remind everyone of Natalie Hayward. Yelaniz Torres looked great at libero, her Bowling Green squad beat us last year in Knoxville and I remember she was a major part of it. Granberry and Paulik both looked improved in the middle but I wonder if we will see Raeven Chase as well. Our middles were a weak point for us last year when Mahaffey was injured. Ashlynn King was a great spark with her serve and defensive ability as she brought us back from 22-17 down in the first set.

The possible issues with this squad was our serve receive looked a little shaky at times which lead to predictable offense or aces/free balls for Lipscomb. If we can clean that up and get some offense from our middles to free up things for our very powerful pin hitters, this team has the chance to win the SEC. First home match of the season is August 25th against Texas State that will not only debut the 2023 Lady Vols but a new court design as well!

Did not see a thread started for this team and thought why not get things going! Eve Rackham has put together a squad this year that if they continue to improve can succeed not only in the SEC but the NCAA tournament as well! Here is a nice recap I found from a volleyball forum VolleyTalk that puts together a good outlook for 2023:

2022 Recap: Injuries were unkind to the Lady Vols this season, as both Morghan Fingall and especially Danielle Mahaffey missed time (Mahaffey only saw action in 10 matches all season). When they were both full strength, the Vols looked like an almost entirely different team, at least for a while. The LV’s season was a roller coaster in terms of results, and a very tough early schedule (Purdue, Ohio State, Pitt, WKU) didn’t do them any real favors when they turned around and lost to Bowling Green and Colgate (COLGATE?!?!). The SEC slate was also pretty mixed, with losses to TAMU and Alabama mixed in with sweeps of Mississippi State and LSU. In retrospect, looking over their schedule, it’s a bit of a surprise that they made the tournament (SOS?), because LSU looks like their best win all season. But make it they did, and they played a strong Purdue team tough before losing in 5 in the 1st round. The post-season got off to a pretty rocky start when former DS Paula Laborda took to social media to accuse the coaching staff of psychological abuse and cultural insensitivity.

Departures: After returning for their COVID years, S Natalie Hayward and MB Danielle Mahaffey are out of eligibility. Starting OPP Morghan Fingall, backup S Kylie Robinson, and DS Abigail Matoso were also recognized on Senior Day, but Fingall and Robinson have already announced their return. As noted above, DS Laborda has entered the portal, as has 6’4” RS-Jr OPP Emily Merrick (grad transfer).

Key Returners: In addition to COVID Srs Fingall (OPP) and Robinson (S), who are the presumptive starters at their positions, the Wrasslin’ Rackhams are expected to return OHs Erykah Lovett (Jr), Kadynce Booth (Soph), and Jasmine Brooks (Sr). In the middle 6’3” SEC All-Freshman Keondraya Granberry is back, along with RS-Sophs 6’5” Emily Beeker and 6’6” Klaudia Pawlik. Starting L Ashllyn King returns, along with DSs JaKya Moore (Sr) and Abby Ekeler (Jr).

Newcomers: Rich Kern identifies 5 Tennessee commits for 2023, but to date, only 3 have been announced by the school. These include DS/L Sydney Jaynes (PV #44), 6’1” OH Mackenzie Plante (PV #120), and 6’ OH Kamille Gibson. The other 2 unannounced commits listed on RK include 6’1” OH Cate Schnell (whose Insta account includes posts about her signing), and DS/L Katie Barrier.

2023 Outlook: Losing Hayward and Mahaffey is going to hurt, but Robinson will finally get her chance to shine in Knoxville and shake the bad memories of her time in Eugene. The LV’s will have to hope that either Pawlik or Beeker is ready to step into the MB spot that Mahaffey is leaving, or they’ll have to pull in a transfer. Between Brooks, Lovett, and Booth, there ought to be some consistent production on the pins, right? If not, perhaps they’re counting on a newcomer to provide what’s missing. I really like Fingall, but I’m not entirely sold on what looks like the 2023 edition of the Lady Vols just yet, and I am curious about how Laborda’s parting accusations might affect (or not) the program. I kind of see the Eastern Orange Empire holding steady in the upper middle of the conference.

Portal news: The Lady Vols announced the addition of Bowling Green L Yelianiz Torres. Also added for the fall OH Jenaisya Moore from Ohio State and S Lauren Woodford from Syracuse. Added MB Raeven Chase from Eastern Michigan

Schedule: Eve has put together quite the stretch for this bunch after the opening weekend. This team should handle Texas State, Marist, and UT Martin, but all three teams had great regular seasons in 2022. They then go to San Diego to play Boston College (winners of the volleyball NIT) and San Diego (2022 Final Four team). AT Wisconsin (2022 Elite 8) to play in one of the toughest volleyball environments in the country. AT Loyola-Chicago (2022 NCAA First Round) who gave us fits at our place last year. AT Marquette (2022 Sweet 16) that beat Kentucky at Kentucky last season. This is all before SEC play and I for one am glad Eve is really challenging this team because there is a chance we could see any of those 5 teams in the postseason.

Lineup: So in an exhibition with Lipscomb (which we won 3-0) on Friday the starting lineup looked like this:

Rewatching that match (which is available on ESPN+) this lineup showed to be very athletic and very aggressive at the net. Lipscomb is one of the best mid-majors in the country and our blocking looked pretty ferocious against a well-organized team. Fingall looks to be a for sure All-American candidate that will be the arm we go to when we need a point. The experience Moore will bring coming from Ohio State will be huge, you have to be at your best every night in that league. Caroline Kerr looked fantastic and her style of play will remind everyone of Natalie Hayward. Yelaniz Torres looked great at libero, her Bowling Green squad beat us last year in Knoxville and I remember she was a major part of it. Granberry and Paulik both looked improved in the middle but I wonder if we will see Raeven Chase as well. Our middles were a weak point for us last year when Mahaffey was injured. Ashlynn King was a great spark with her serve and defensive ability as she brought us back from 22-17 down in the first set.

The possible issues with this squad was our serve receive looked a little shaky at times which lead to predictable offense or aces/free balls for Lipscomb. If we can clean that up and get some offense from our middles to free up things for our very powerful pin hitters, this team has the chance to win the SEC. First home match of the season is August 25th against Texas State that will not only debut the 2023 Lady Vols but a new court design as well!
What was the parting shot by Laborda

Cant remember the Parting shot by Laporda? I keep up and watch all the games but my old mind just dont remember what her problem was!! Thanks!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
What was the parting shot by Laborda

Cant remember the Parting shot by Laporda? I keep up and watch all the games but my old mind just dont remember what her problem was!! Thanks!

I don't know if the Instagram post she put up is still on her page or not, but she voiced her opinion on the matter for sure. From what I understand from somebody not close to but around the situation was that there was a disagreement between Paola and Eve that over time led to both parties agreeing to part ways. What I will say that it is telling that she was only one of two transfers with the other transfer being Emily Merrick who grad transferred to Texas Tech.

I don't know if the Instagram post she put up is still on her page or not, but she voiced her opinion on the matter for sure. From what I understand from somebody not close to but around the situation was that there was a disagreement between Paola and Eve that over time led to both parties agreeing to part ways. What I will say that it is telling that she was only one of two transfers with the other transfer being Emily Merrick who grad transferred to Texas Tech.
Thanks

Reactions: knoxvol52
May be a bit of pressure on Eve this year. She has never competed for the conference title. And hasn't advanced in the ncaa tournament far.
I agree! She has never been able to recruit that one player to set us apart from the pack. I saw we were picked third in conferance so the pressure is there.

Tennessee is set to begin the 2023 season against Texas State! Starting line-up looking like:
OH- Erykah Lovett
OH- Jenaisya Moore
OPP- Morghan Fingall
MB- Klaudia Pawlik
MB- Keke Granberry
S- Caroline Kerr
L- Yelianiz Torres

And color commentating on the SECN+ broadcast being provided by former Lady Vol.....Caylan Arnold?

We’ll find out more about us tomorrow night as the Lady Vols travel to San Diego. The Toreros made the Final Four last year—probably giving Texas a better match in the semifinal than Louisville did for the NC. San Diego is picked to win the WCC again this year, but they have started the season 0-3. A match against Wisconsin in Madison is looming, too. Go LV 🏐

Record crowd over 4K at Arkansas vs Wisconsin. Great match tied up 2 to 2.

Also 92K to break an all time mark for any womens sporting event Omaha at Nebraska outside where Nebraska football plays. Pretty darn impressive.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back