Tennessee not paying Shoops buyout?

In East Tennessee I agree. I have moved around a lot the last few years. Quick Trip stores are hands down my favorite places to stop now.

Those are awesome and their fountain and frozen drink prices are insanely low. You can take a gallon jug in there and fill it up with frozen drink for around $2.00, not to mention the fact in the big ones it seems like they have 30 or more flavors.

1st buTch had to sell AD Hart on this.

2nd buTch has to sell the bigger powers that be above AD Hart on this.

3rd buTch had to sell all the bigger boosters on this.

Now remember that spending this kind of HUGE money on a DC sets things up for much larger pay raises for all the other coaches.

This also sets things up forever that Tennessee will be expected to pay top level money for really good coaches/recruiters.

Putting all of this together was a lot of hard nosed selling and negotiating to put all the pieces of the puzzle together and buTch was going up against many other top, hard nosed negotiators.

You can bet that buTch worked his (_)_) off getting this done but buTch WON and so did our footVol program, our players and all of us fans.

THANK YOU buTch, now I totally believe in you!!!

Let the Winning begin!

Building a Champion #BrickbyBrick & Coach by Coach...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
He was ready to get out of that situation...:question:
Well, now it's time to earn some of that VN money, so get that azz on the road.

GO VOLS!

I think it was Ryan Callahan saying yesterday that Shoop working out his own buyout shows just how much he really wanted to be here. Maybe there's more behind the scenes as far as booster help or Shoop being able to work out a deal with PSU, but I thought that was a really cool way to look at it.

I'll put in my part, because some of my Bammer customers are already predicting we beat them next year with this hire! Love making them worry for 10 months!!

GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Well they say "the customer is always right." Hope that old adage is true this time!

Those are awesome and their fountain and frozen drink prices are insanely low. You can take a gallon jug in there and fill it up with frozen drink for around $2.00, not to mention the fact in the big ones it seems like they have 30 or more flavors.
And all this time I thought the reason you big boys were carrying those jugs around had something to do with corn. They got apple too?

I think the money is donated directly to Penn State with the specific stipulation that it's to pay the buyout for Shoop.

Last edited:
Don't want to take credit for this but I can't remember where I read it. Someone noted that it is almost a sure thing that Franklin goes next year. The fans, the players, the staff and the AD are all sour on him. If CBS were to stay at PSU, they would have to pay all of the remainder of his contract, and every other member of the staff as well. Perhaps no one is paying that $900k.

I made this point in one of the other threads.

While I agree that UT is a better gig, it's hard to at least not consider that there's something bad going on at Penn State. Could be Franklin or it could be something else. If all was well, Shoop would not have had nearly the interest in a new gig, and even if he did, it would not have gone public. That's my opinion anyway. This process has been very embarrassing to PSU. Shoop burned some bridges for sure.

If they see a HC change as a real possibility, then every contract for every assistant is a liability. That's why ADs hate 3-year deals for assistants. Shoops would have been looked at as especially so as it was very high and a longer term.

I don't know college football except that it's big business. I do know business. I know businesses don't like liabilities. They would have been hand-cuffed in the hiring search if firing Shoop next year was going to cost them a couple million.

You also have to consider that after the public embarrassment of two public courtings, Franklin may have just said "eff him. I want him out." How effectively could he really recruit at PSU after all of this?

I can easily see a "settlement" of say $250K. Boosters could have scraped that together at their Thursday night Gin tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back