Tennessee vs South Carolina Official game thread (6:30 SECN)

Dude there were 8-10 phantom, nonexistent, garbage fouls that probably lead to a dozen or more points gifted. That’s a big deal in what was essentially a one possession game. We played bad but with half way competent officiating we skate by.
Officiating does not affect the outcome of a game as much as people like to believe. For about half the game against Vandy it did. But it evened out down the stretch. Tonight had nothing to do with officiating. We shot 36% from the field, 23% from 3 and 60% .....60% from the free throw line. That's terrible. And not gonna win you many, if any games against decent teams.

Reactions: On In Two
Tennessee gonna be fine tho. It don’t matter what happens in Rupp. They will be fine. I’d say practice probably won’t be much fun at all. Just regroup and get it done. I don’t expect to see that many missed layups again.

Our crowd has no idea how to get in to the game. Sitting here watching the Ole Miss game. What a rowdy place. I know the shape of the gym and where fans are positioned in the stands has something to do with it, but on TV anyway we don't sound loud at all.
The team has to make a FG and give the fans something to cheer about. We had a stretch of going 1-13 from the field in the 2nd half and were missing free throws too. The fans were ready to explode as they usually do. Its mot like the opposing team scored 90 points either. But the team didn't give anything to build momentum off of on offense.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Yes. We know Tennessee missed shots they should have made. More concerning were the 5 phantom fouls in the second half (3 in 30 seconds). Each set of phantom fouls came as soon as Tennessee went on a run.
This. I’m not talking bad calls that one could at least argue. They hit us with about 5-8 complete non existent fouls that gifted SC 8+ charity points.

Reactions: amaralfan1
Remember his 1st game? Whatever happened to that guy? I don't think he's capable of doing that again
He shot 57% and hit 50% of his 3’s?!? He’s doesn’t get 4 or 5 plays a game ran for him like in the past. He also had 3 Rbs 3 ast 2 stls and helped hold Meechie to 2 or 3 points. This makes no since.
Where the heck were ZZ and Aidoo? They were horrible. Missed FT’s kept us from pulling ahead.

Reactions: walkenvol
This team is much more equipped to make a deep run. We have quality wins against Illinois and Wisconsin. Just an off night and missed layups didn't help. We will be fine

Reactions: Namorto1
Officiating does not affect the outcome of a game as much as people like to believe. For about half the game against Vandy it did. But it evened out down the stretch. Tonight had nothing to do with officiating. We shot 36% from the field, 23% from 3 and 60% .....60% from the free throw line. That's terrible. And not gonna win you many, if any games against decent teams.
SC hit 8 field goals in the second half. Phantom fouls killed Tennessee momentum twice in the half and handed the Gamecocks a bevy of free throws. And were not even getting into the non-calls that let Mack look like Zach Edey.

The team has to make a FG and give the fans something to cheer about. We had a stretch of going 1-13 from the field in the 2nd half and were missing free throws too. The fans were ready to explode as they usually do. Its mot like the opposing team scored 90 points either. But the team didn't give anything to build momentum off of on offense.
Oh I agree we didn't give em anything to cheer about. But we are not loud from the jump either like these other places are. Need the football to come out In us.

Fast forward to March. This is the exact game we'll play against a different opponent to lose in the 2nd round. I've seen this movie far too many times.

A whole bunch of upperclassmen that didn’t show up. I’m not sure what you do with JJJ…

Not sure what Barnes will do, but I think at this point you gotta give a chunk of his minutes to Mashack and Gainey. I know some on here will say JJJ does things that don’t show up in the stat sheet, but is that the kind of player who needs to be playing the majority of the game?

Tough situation for Barnes to navigate. I know he and JJJ are tight, but you can’t continue to keep a guy in the lineup who is effectively giving you nothing offensively.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
It's a chicken/egg thing. TBA rarely gets up for a mid-week game as a double-digit favorite. The crowd expected to get the win and sat silent until the last 2 minutes. Inexcusable.

This game underscores the question many of us have had. If DK has an off night, is anyone else going to be there to pick up the slack? Feels weird saying DK was off after scoring 31 on 24 shots, but I think we’d all agree this wasn’t his best performance. He got hot late, but for the longest time he was pretty shaky in the second half. He really needed a Robin tonight and there was no Robin, only Batman. Sometimes Batman can’t do it alone.

If this team doesn’t find a consistent Robin, maybe a couple of Robins, the ceiling will be however far DK can take us. Hard to expect one guy, even someone as good as DK, to take us very far with no consistent sidekicks.
It’s very apparent that this team cannot win if DK isn’t playing all world for the whole game. James is giving us nothing. Gainey is inconsistent as ever. Aidoo had an off game but he has been playing great. We aren’t getting hardly anything from the bench. ZZ is a great defender but his offense is hit and miss.

SC was physical and really made it tough for us in the paint. This underscores a problem Barnes has had forever. He can recruit great and has done well in the portal. But he cannot for some reason find a game changing big man. DJ has got to be frustrated. This is an unacceptable loss. We were 14 pt home favorites against an unranked team and they came in and shoved the game in our face.

VN Store

Back