Texas A&M Mess and the Transfer Portal

My point is that these NIL deals aren't going to restrict player mobility much, if at all.

I think for a player thinking logically, it will restrict them. If they're getting 250k a year at Texas A&m, why would they go somewhere else and only get 100k, or less?

(Just to clarify, I do not know the nature of any of the deals)

I think several high level players were dismissed from the team. Appears they were the most blatant offenders, smoking in the locker room, not sure if it was cigs or pot. If they seek to transfer to Tennessee, I'm not sure Josh would take them, and if he did, he'd have stringent requirements. And a lease so short, it'd be a collar.

Jimbo won 83 games in 8 years at FSU. Makes you wonder what the deal is at A&M.
Bad culture? Crazy boosters meddling? He's 57, he didn't just suddenly forget how to coach.

Whatever the reason, the wheels have certainly fallen off.
His competition level went from below par to elite. The level of coaching to win in the ACC is nothing compared to the SEC West.

Quinn Ewers is a good example. Depends on the NIL deal and length. He wanted to go to Texas but he took the Ohio St million. Then after one yet went back to Texas where he wanted to be all along. Some deals may require so many games played at X university or maybe so much per season and if it’s a huge amount some players may be smart enough that they won’t get that much money elsewhere and stay put. I have a feeling that’s what several of Texas A&M players may run into. Yes got large chunks of cash to go there and transferring it may not be worth the risk money wise of losing it or getting significant less on NIL elsewhere.

I'm not sure how the NIL works as far as pay before signing or enrolling. I do, however, have an excellent contact with an insider view. This person told me each A/M FB player gets 50k per year...
Now, I'm unsure about the distribution process.... but I feel there will be some to leave and we could easily reap benefits here...

I think the problem is that the players probably starting comparing their NIL salaries with each other and the crap hit the fan.

In addition, some just decided to lay down and draw a salary without having to do the extra work to earn it.

Other players saw it and packed it in.

This is the kind of crap that happens when you don't balance out NIL with the players.

IOW, they bought a Coach, they bought players, and had no performance standards for each.
Texas A&M $$$$ are crazy and they could afford it but they are paying for it.

Bad culture? Crazy boosters meddling? He's 57, he didn't just suddenly forget how to coach.

I remember Fulmer saying this very thing.

The chemistry of a team is CRUCIAL to success. We hear coaches say these things a lot and we generally attribute it to “coach speak”. But it’s CLEARLY the most important issue (along with talent levels of course) when assembling an elite team. Certainly teams can be loaded with talented athletes and STILL have a congruent locker room but A&M has an interesting dynamic going on there. I’m just not convinced Jimbo has the moral and discerning character to “fix” what ails him. My nephew is a tenured professor at A&M and is greatly concerned for the health and wellbeing of the program going forward.

Texas A&M players possible departure to Tennessee....open the door and file in by fiddy.. we'll utilize those 4 and 5 stars here on Rocky Top

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga

Jimbo Fisher is a slightly less moronic version of the Trumpet Humper that Tennessee used to employ that is now wallowing in losses at Arkansas State. Fisher rode the coattails of Bobby Bowden and the cache of FSU in a pretty weak ACC his first few years there. Miami at the time was way down and Clemson had not risen up to the top yet during his first few years. Fisher rode Jameis Winston to the National Title. Slowly the team started slipping and recruiting classes were slipping a bit also. His recruiting rankings started slipping and they were surpassed quickly in the ACC by Clemson and by 2017 FSU had a 3-5 conference record and finished 7-6. Fisher was 5-6 then leaves the team and they won their last two games after he left.

Fisher was just smart enough to try to stay slightly ahead of his curve to seek out greener pastures. Much like the purple faced idiot that was just smart enough to follow Brian Kelly around and win with his teams and bolt before things went sideways. It took him being at Tennessee long enough to expose what a complete and utter fraud he really was. Fisher won't be at A&M past next season IMO. And good ol' Coach Lyle is probably getting fired from Arkansas State.

NIL deals are not team specific. We don’t know to what extent they can tailor the language to handcuff them to a school, but at least explicitly stated by the ncaa, the nil deals cannot beholden said player to a specific school.

And I’m sure if the player is good enough, other teams will find someone willing to make it worth their while.
“Hi I’m Walter Nolen of the Tennessee Volunteers. On Saturdays I like to sack the quarterback just like Honda of Corpus Christi likes to sack the competition with our low prices . Bad credit or no credit you ride today with Corpus Christi Honda and tell them Walter sent you”

The best class ever signed last year, something like 8 5stars and 20 more 4stars, and they might not make a bowl game, and many of those players haven’t seen playing time. Jimbo Fisher is the biggest financial mistake of any program in the past decade, and despite the amount of money in Texas, his buyout is too big to let him go, whether they can afford it or not, whether he deserves it or not, because of the look it would have and because of the water on their face already. I guess they could turn it around and make a big leap next year but it would likely mean a lot of changes of which I’m not sure exactly what they’d need to be. Jimbo will certainly be working long nights this off-season, if he cares.

Many will test the portal. Many will head elsewhere. Will Tennessee be one of those who benefit? We certainly could use veteran help in the secondary, rb, te, offensive line, and lb units. I’m very interested to see what we do in the portal, as we didn’t do a whole lot last year - but those who came have been impactful. We’ve heard nothing, and yet are being told this year is supposed to be last year to the nth degree from a wild Wild West perspective. Coaches aren’t supposed to be contacting players at other schools (though we know some have *cough* Lincoln Riley *cough*). What about players? I wonder if coaches have targeted players on other teams and had current players peer recruit in advance of the portal opening. Should be interesting to watch. Here’s an article on TAMU situation for reference.

Paul Finebaum rips Jimbo Fisher, expects Texas A&M football recruiting challenges and player transfers

Mods: please move to recruiting if more relevant there. Seamed more of a general Tennessee football and ncaa discussion, but wasn’t sure where to put.
None of those freshman that haven't played would help us as "veteran help" instantly.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

Coaching in the ACC not as hard as coaching in the SEC

Quinn Ewers is a good example. Depends on the NIL deal and length. He wanted to go to Texas but he took the Ohio St million. Then after one yet went back to Texas where he wanted to be all along. Some deals may require so many games played at X university or maybe so much per season and if it’s a huge amount some players may be smart enough that they won’t get that much money elsewhere and stay put. I have a feeling that’s what several of Texas A&M players may run into. Yes got large chunks of cash to go there and transferring it may not be worth the risk money wise of losing it or getting significant less on NIL elsewhere.

If Ewers is getting paid anything, it’s too much. He looks terrible.

If I were writing the contract, it would require X number of appearances at the sponsoring business each semester. If the NIL participant (student) could not fulfill his job, he was released. Just like a Non-Athlete student getting a job at Calhoun's. If they cannot show up for work, they no longer work there.

If we take some of their 5 stars, we can have them still make their appearances in Texas, they'll just be dressed in Tennessee colors. Fulfill contract and recruit!

What a great country this is; Jimbo signs a 10 year 100M deal and then gets another couple of years for beating Alabama last year. He is owed 89M and ask yourself what has he ever done to deserve that kind of money. He had all the talent in the world at Florida State and won 1 National Championship. He is a lot like Fulmer, he won it on talent alone. His coaching ability and ability to change with the times will be his downfall. Only difference in Fulmer and Jimbo is Jimbo jumped ship at Florida State and Fulmer stayed until he was fired.

Jimbo has always been an unkept overrated coach that recruits good. He isn’t an X’s and O’s type coach. He does have a good agent though……Texas A & M will be paying for the contract to Jimbo for the next decade.

I think things are going PERFECT down there !

I would not change a thing! Do you agree Coach Lemonis?

-
giphy.gif

The problem with 5 stars and 4 stars is too often they read the bloated press releases about themselves. They have a discipline problem there at A/M. I'd rather have 2 and 3 stars who are eager to learn/win than 5 stars that you have to coddle and baby sit.

I don’t want the problem children of the Aggies, thank goodness our coaches look at all factors when recruiting players. Some folks on here would have us in the same shape Jimbo does. GBO!

FSU is in the ACC.
Texas A&M is in the SEC.
SEC>ACC.
Seriously? Never heard that before. J/k yes I'm familiar with the two conferences.

Once at FSU he beat the #2,#3,#7,#20 teams all in the same season.

Yes the SEC is harder, but that doesn't explain why a seasoned coach with lots of talent is losing like this.

Also, losing to App St has nothing to do with playing the SEC West.

There are about 7 games on their schedule that should have been layups this year.

I think for a player thinking logically, it will restrict them. If they're getting 250k a year at Texas A&m, why would they go somewhere else and only get 100k, or less?

(Just to clarify, I do not know the nature of any of the deals)
True, but if another school comes along and says, gee this guy is really good and could help our team, they could say, come to our school next year and get 500 K. The kid's either gone then or is re-negotiating his deal. I'm just saying if a kid sees greener pastures somewhere else (for whatever reason) his ability to move if he wants to is not likely to be restricted by these deals.

Reactions: 37620VOL

VN Store

Back