The "0-9 Rule"

TommyJoe

You've probably never heard of the 0-9 rule because I am the creator of it. Even though I feel certain that Heupel will easily pass the 0-9 rule, and I think that we finally have found the long term solution with him, still, the 0-9 rule should apply. Here is the 0-9 rule:

After 3 years, if your combined record against: (in alphabetical order here) Florida, Georgia and Alabama is 0-9 then you have to go. At present Heupel is 0-3. 1-8 you keep your spot. 0-9 over any three year span, you're gone.

There was a day once upon a time that I would have never dreamed that my personal requirements for keeping a head coach would be so low. But, it is what it is. The 0-9 rule should be our minimum requirement at this time.

Might as well call it the 0-3 rule because we’re not beating Georgia or Alabama for a long time, nor is it reasonable to expect CJH to do so.

If he’s 0-3 against the Gators, then maybe he’s not the guy, a lot of it will depend on his overall record and bowl games.

Florida always has our number, no matter how bad they are.

Last edited:
You've probably never heard of the 0-9 rule because I am the creator of it. Even though I feel certain that Heupel will easily pass the 0-9 rule, and I think that we finally have found the long term solution with him, still, the 0-9 rule should apply. Here is the 0-9 rule:

After 3 years, if your combined record against: (in alphabetical order here) Florida, Georgia and Alabama is 0-9 then you have to go. At present Heupel is 0-3. 1-8 you keep your spot. 0-9 over any three year span, you're gone.

There was a day once upon a time that I would have never dreamed that my personal requirements for keeping a head coach would be so low. But, it is what it is. The 0-9 rule should be our minimum requirement at this time.

Does A no longer kick off the alphabet?

That rule was before Bama and Georgia became elite. Both of those teams are on a different level and their recruiting has been insane.

To put the talent difference in perspective we could compare top 100 players signed this year:

Bama-15/100
Georgia-11/100
UT-0/100

So they both brought in double digits of the highest ranked recruits in the country. We landed 0.

Might as well call it the 0-3 rule because we’re not beating Georgia or Alabama for a long time, nor is it reasonable to expect CJH to do so.

If he’s 0-3 against the Gators, then maybe he’s not the guy, a lot of it will depend on his overall record and bowl games.

Florida always as our number, no matter how bad they are.
I agree. Florida at present is a different animal, it's psychological with them. However, it's objectively unreasonable to EXPECT us to beat Alabama or Georgia any time in the near future. People who don't follow recruiting don't realize how badly we've been lapped by those 2. For example, this cycle Bama signed 15 national top 100 players. UGA signed 11. We signed zero. Every recruiting class still on campus at the 3 schools going back 5 years is similarly slanted in their favor. The portal is not going to even that out. They do as well or better than we do there also anyway. Heupel does not need to be judged by his performance against those two schools. It's just not realistic, especially as long as Pruitt's parting gift of the NCAA investigation is still hanging over our heads.

Last edited:

Florida always as our number, no matter how bad they are.

Us vs the Gators transcends all understanding and completely nullifies any coach’s ability to coach a game. I’m sure even Heupel was baffled to see his offense, which at that point had put up 38, 34, and 56, and the week after Florida would put up 62 in SEC play, somehow only muster up 14 points.

I’m sure someone had warned him about the curse, but after watching his dynamic playmakers in his brilliant offense fumble the ball, drop passes that hit them right in the numbers, get sacked 4 times, and get blown up in the backfield 7 times, he probably started believing it was real.

I mean Tillman had 3 catches for 10 yards. Tillman.

It’s really beyond comprehension. We scored more points against Georgia than Florida.

Us vs the Gators transcends all understanding and completely nullifies any coach’s ability to coach a game. I’m sure even Heupel was baffled to see his offense, which at that point had put up 38, 34, and 56, and the week after Florida would put up 62 in SEC play, somehow only muster up 14 points.

I’m sure someone had warned him about the curse, but after watching his dynamic playmakers in his brilliant offense fumble the ball, drop passes that hit them right in the numbers, get sacked 4 times, and get blown up in the backfield 7 times, he probably started believing it was real.

It’s really beyond comprehension. We scored more points against Georgia than Florida.
At that particular time we really weren't that good yet. Hooker had just gotten his starting job and was getting his feet wet with the offense.

Florida had just narrowly lost to Bama and they were all in with Mullen and Emory Jones had a ton of confidence because he wasn't worried about losing his starting job and we know how much our defense struggled.

I think Heupel doesn't care about curses. We are going to try and punch them in the mouth next year.

IMO it's almost a must win. If we can't beat them next year I don't see us ever beating them with Heupel and yeah...it'll really suck.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
If White had that rule he would be changing coaches every 3-4 yrs and I'm pretty certain he would not want to do that plus our program would be a disaster with the constant coaching changes. As has been said above, its unrealistic to expect a TN coach to beat AL right now, GA maybe once in 5 yrs and FL I just don't understand the hex they have on us.

The one thing this program is in bad bad need of right now is coaching stability.

That rule was before Bama and Georgia became elite. Both of those teams are on a different level and their recruiting has been insane.

To put the talent difference in perspective we could compare top 100 players signed this year:

Bama-15/100
Georgia-11/100
UT-0/100

So they both brought in double digits of the highest ranked recruits in the country. We landed 0.

If we don't improve recruiting in the next class we'll be 0 for a bunch against them for awhile.

Ah yes this is exactly what the university needs. This rule will fix everything. Regardless of the situation or circumstances, 3 years is all a head coach gets. Heupel facing unprecedented circumstances that NO TN HC has EVER faced? Doesn’t matter. Scholarship reductions that were not his fault? Doesn’t matter.

I am so glad that posters on VN aren’t athletic directors.

We played Bama to a standstill through 3 quarters this past season. And UGA lost to South Carolina at home just 2 years ago. While we shouldn't expect to beat UGA or Bama, it certainly isn't some impossible task.

BruisedOrange's Orange Eyeshade Razor: Certitude is just another fantasy world. Rules and numbers do not equate reality.

1643909493885.jpeg

Reactions: BreatheUT
We played Bama to a standstill through 3 quarters this past season. And UGA lost to South Carolina at home just 2 years ago. While we shouldn't expect to beat UGA or Bama, it certainly isn't some impossible task.

What happened in the fourth quarter?

I mean, I guess nothing is impossible, but I’m still not scheduling my day around watching Tennessee get boat raced again next season by Alabama and Georgia.

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
Georgia won National championship--11 top 100 player
Alabama 2nd --15 top 100 players
Tenn --0000000 top 100 players

Superbowl winner picks last in draft
Runnerup picks next to last Herein lies the problem with power 5 and for that matter all of college football.

Runnerup picks next to last Herein lies the problem with power 5 and for that matter all of college football.
Bingo

The biggest problem with the program still today is that UT hired a weak, mealy mouthed bean counter (Mike Hamilton) as the Athletic Director and he listened to the lowest common denominator of the fan base in making his decisions regarding firing and hiring coaches. The program has never recovered from that. Some folks would be better off just staying off message boards and sports talk.

I respectfully disagree. Our "uniqueness" give all three fits. There will be more video next year for them to study, but our lack of depth is what sank us in the 4th quarter against Bama and UGA this year. If any of those teams don't properly prepare we stand a chance.

Having watched this annual debacle for years, one of the shinning differences is (and has always been) their corner and safety play. They jam/interfere with UT receivers at will. Rarely, if ever, get called. Meanwhile, UT's corners are 5 yards off the receivers allowing them to get separation. It's insane.

Reactions: Samthebam
I respectfully disagree. Our "uniqueness" give all three fits. There will be more video next year for them to study, but our lack of depth is what sank us in the 4th quarter against Bama and UGA this year. If any of those teams don't properly prepare we stand a chance.
Depth comes from recruiting, quality depth especially, so recruiting is still the problem. And depth was more so the issue against Bama than Georgia this year, we were down two touchdowns at halftime versus UGA. We had two drives to start the game against UGA and after that they shut us down until garbage time. It's just unfortunate that two of the best teams in CFB year in and year out are permanently on our schedule, the good thing is that when we are finally able to start competing consistently with them, we'll be able to compete with anybody.

Last edited:
Ah yes this is exactly what the university needs. This rule will fix everything. Regardless of the situation or circumstances, 3 years is all a head coach gets. Heupel facing unprecedented circumstances that NO TN HC has EVER faced? Doesn’t matter. Scholarship reductions that were not his fault? Doesn’t matter.

I am so glad that posters on VN aren’t athletic directors.

Not to mention the AD would never be able to attract any kind of decent HC nor could he hire any good assistants with that kind of criteria based on the talent gap between TN and AL/GA.

Unfortunately for us, no one's ever going to tell kids where they have to go college. We're going to have to get back in this with elbow grease. Going to have to build up to it. Majors didn't instantly make us a juggernaught. We became respectable, year in, year out, and finally when some other teams fell on hard times with bad coaches, we stepped into the power vacuum. That's what we'll have to do again.

You think it’s more fair to force great players to bad schools? Fair to whom exactly?

Not the players.

VN Store

Back