The 2023-2024 Carolina/Duke basketball thread.the"will Duke get a higher seed than 5?" Edition.

Mitchell was my guy who i said was the key to Duke being able to reach their ceiling. Unfortunately, MM just didn’t have the consistency each week to make that jump, despite getting to the Elite 8. His limitations on offense kept Duke from being what it could’ve been. I hope he does well wherever he decides to go, unless it is a rival or UConn or UK.
Hot biased take here, but I think the offense going through Flip was what hurt Mitchell the most. It was about going inside to Flip, then either he did something or found the hole outside. I think Mitchell could be great in a true PG oriented offense. And he’s good defensively. Read into that what you will based on another key transfer portal entry yesterday

Hot biased take here, but I think the offense going through Flip was what hurt Mitchell the most. It was about going inside to Flip, then either he did something or found the hole outside. I think Mitchell could be great in a true PG oriented offense. And he’s good defensively. Read into that what you will based on another key transfer portal entry yesterday
You could definitely be right, but I also think his inability to shoot the ball consistently was a major liability. At times you saw teams put their 5 on him and let them drop into the paint and double on Filipowski. I think it would’ve been different had Duke had a true Center this season and Mitchell wouldn’t have played at the 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: volfanbill
I thought you guys might find this interesting, if you don't already know about it. It's an article tracing the use of the term "blue blood" in the context of college basketball by means of searching all uses of the term in the the newspapers.com database. The term is said to have begun as a term for a great player, moves to a phrase to describe ranked teams (rankings being at that time a new way to rate schools and sell newspapers, frankly, but not without their use). These various newspaper rankings began as regional rankings. As the rankings became more national, the term was adapted to describe teams that recurred in the rankings. And finally, it became a term for long-term top (and thus prestigious) programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDU VOL#14
You could definitely be right, but I also think his inability to shoot the ball consistently was a major liability. At times you saw teams put their 5 on him and let them drop into the paint and double on Filipowski. I think it would’ve been different had Duke had a true Center this season and Mitchell wouldn’t have played at the 4.
Flip is a “new money” swing 4/5. Mitchell isn’t. The way Duke ran the ball through Flip definitely clogged the paint up and hurt Mitchell offensively imo. Mitchell was good in transition and defensively imo. Again, read into that what you will for a certain team that likes to play hard defensively and get into transition.

Reactions: Orange.
Roach leaving Duke. Thoughts? Declaring for the NBA draft while retaining eligility AND entering the transfer portal suggests to me that he just wants out one way or another. I get the feeling that all is not well in Scheyerville.

Last edited:
Roach leaving Duke. Thoughts? Declaring for the NBA draft while retaining eligility AND entering the transfer portal suggests to me that he just wants out one way or another. I get the feeling that all is not well in Scheyerville.
I wouldn’t read too much into that. He’s played 4 years, been a captain for 2 I think. I’ve never heard anything about him being anything other than a team guy. I’m really hoping that Sean Stewart and TJ Power comes back now that Proctor and Foster are returning. It sounds like they’re trying to make moves in the portal as well. I think Duke will be just fine next season.

nm. I see some posts on transfers that I guess I missed.

Last edited:
Have to break down that Final 4 barrier. Unbelievable how we’ve never gotten there.
I think if we'd been in the west regional or gotten fair calls against Edey the ogre, we would have made it this year. That close, imo. The west would have been our first 1 seed, in addition. I thought @volfanbill's remark about wanting to see how an Edey game would be called against a blue blood was right on.

Anyway, I know all this sounds strange in the greater context of this thread. But as the kids used to say, it is what it is.

I wouldn’t read too much into that. He’s played 4 years, been a captain for 2 I think. I’ve never heard anything about him being anything other than a team guy. I’m really hoping that Sean Stewart and TJ Power comes back now that Proctor and Foster are returning. It sounds like they’re trying to make moves in the portal as well. I think Duke will be just fine next season.
It seemed obvious going into the tournament that Roach was gone. He even participated in Senior Night. I’m more surprised with Blakes leaving than Mitchell’s. Not to sound disrespectful to players infinitely better than I ever dreamed of, but Schutt and Reaves leaving is completely insignificant. I had high hopes for Power to be a great role player and think Stewart has tons of potential. Guess they want more for themselves, and I can’t fault them for that, though selfishly I’m disappointed.

It seemed obvious going into the tournament that Roach was gone. He even participated in Senior Night. I’m more surprised with Blakes leaving than Mitchell’s. Not to sound disrespectful to players infinitely better than I ever dreamed of, but Schutt and Reaves leaving is completely insignificant. I had high hopes for Power to be a great role player and think Stewart has tons of potential. Guess they want more for themselves, and I can’t fault them for that, though selfishly I’m disappointed.
I had heard that Blakes was gone back in February, but it is disappointing that Stewart and Power left. Roach just got his bag from Baylor today. Got his Chip and Joanna 💰💰💰

Reactions: volfanbill
I had heard that Blakes was gone back in February, but it is disappointing that Stewart and Power left. Roach just got his bag from Baylor today. Got his Chip and Joanna 💰💰💰
If Baylor gets Aidoo as well, I might need a health and wellness check or two…

VN Store

Back