The Alabama Dilemma ( for Vol fans)

I'll be honest...I haven't been a Tennessee fan long enough to truly have a hate like none other for Alabama. I'm sick of them rolling over everybody in the division, but at the same time, for the health of our program, it would do us no good if Clemson won the National Championship. Due to proximity they tend to be in many of the same recruiting battles with us for certain players and it is no secret that they won a majority of those battles.

Truth is, I believe Clemson is good simply because of Deshaun Watson. Once he leaves for the NFL, their team will take a back seat a bit in the ACC and NC conversation. Yet, if they win, then good chances are that they tighten their grip recruiting wise and solidify themselves as an elite program.

With most looooooong time older fans (myself included) it's personal. We were taught to hate bama as we were learning to walk.

Reactions: 2 people
The recruiting success Clemson is having over UT isn't going away anytime soon, win or lose this game.

I don't get into coaching debates on here. I support the university and team. I will say that if things don't work out with CBJ, Dabo would be my first call if I was AD. Call me crazy, but I have thought that since his first year as HC.

I grew up hating BAMA when UF wasn't relevant. I still hate BAMA more. The only time I struggle with rooting against BAMA is when they play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State or Notre Dame. My dislike for those teams and the B1G goes way back as well. Norte Dame is Norte Dame. Their biggest contribution to college football is being easy to hate by anyone that didn't attend the university.

Go Tigers!!

Yes BOT you telling someone how to be a true fan means a lot. Don't you guys get tired of telling people how to be something?

Yes. It is very tiring. Too often if somebody doesn't tell some folks what to do, they go thru life doing it wrong the whole time.

As a Vol fan it is suppose to come natural to want bama to lose. This isn't a new concept this has been going on for a while now.

There maybe an occasion when bama can win a game and it's a direct helps to us. Seems back in 2007 they beat Fl and that sent us to the SECCG but that was a rare.

It is safe to raise our little Vol children with the standard that the Vols are to win and the yucky bammers are to lose. So as they grow into their fandom they have a natural inclination to want bama to lose. If an exception arises we can deal with that on a case by case basis.

Again I will agree with you it gets very tiring. The need to have to remind adults of this so often is frustrating since little children can pick up on this by the age of 3 or 4.

Maybe one day all the Vol fans across the land will come together and realize yes we do want bama to lose.

I don't know how they get the little children in bama land with their one little tooth(it's cute as a baby, not so much as an adult) to pull for the tide. It's just wrong.

Beat bama!

Last edited:
I'd love to see Bama lose every game for the rest of my life. As a coach, I greatly respect Saban, but if Bama never wins again that's cool by me.

Rooting for Bama because they are in the SEC is like rooting for the devil because he's in the bible....Go Clemson

The wallowing in self-pity has reached new heights this year. This must be the 47th we would beat Bama if Sabin wasn't there style thread this year alone.

Mods can you not create the he man SEC haters thread and merge all of these complaint fests?

Go SEC. Win every bowl games you can.

Nothing personal but why not have the mods create a we love the SEC, especially Bammer thread instead? The number of posts would be quite small given the responses we've seen.

Last edited:
I'll be honest...I haven't been a Tennessee fan long enough to truly have a hate like none other for Alabama. I'm sick of them rolling over everybody in the division, but at the same time, for the health of our program, it would do us no good if Clemson won the National Championship. Due to proximity they tend to be in many of the same recruiting battles with us for certain players and it is no secret that they won a majority of those battles.

Truth is, I believe Clemson is good simply because of Deshaun Watson. Once he leaves for the NFL, their team will take a back seat a bit in the ACC and NC conversation. Yet, if they win, then good chances are that they tighten their grip recruiting wise and solidify themselves as an elite program.

If Jones and company can't keep elite players in state, then there are bigger problems with recruiting than Clemson winning tomorrow night.

And Bama is likely going after the exact same players so I don't buy the proximity argument.

Reactions: 1 person
That was an easy one

Can't stand Bama

even worse how many faux fans they have (people who didn't go to Bama and aren't from there), but wear Bama gear-

bet they weren't wearing Bama gear when Mike Shula was coaching, if they even know who he is...

If Jones and company can't keep elite players in state, then there are bigger problems with recruiting than Clemson winning tomorrow night.

And Bama is likely going after the exact same players so I don't buy the proximity argument.

The proximity NB argument is bogus simply because both schools are on our border with maybe one to two hours driving difference.

Last edited:
Who the H-E-double-hockey-sticks cares if UT finishes "3-4 spots higher in the polls"? That is meaningless. There is no dilemma. I will never understand the "pull-for-the-SEC" crowd. It doesn't matter. We play who we play. Alabama must die.

This. I never have understood all the SEC solidarity crap. I don't spend 364 days a year hating "those people" only to hope they win ANOTHER NC just because they are in the SEC. Makes no sense.

Roll tears roll..I hope i see a lot of tears from Bama fans come Monday night. They need to fall for the sake of the sport. They're stinking it up for everyone except Bama and their fans..

This. I never have understood all the SEC solidarity crap. I don't spend 364 days a year hating "those people" only to hope they win ANOTHER NC just because they are in the SEC. Makes no sense.
It has never made any sense to cheer for teams you compete for recruits and wins against. SEC pride is for frontrunner fans..

I think the question posed by the OP centered on cheering for Bammer, not the whole SEC. I bet if Texas A&M or LSU were playing tomorrow, you would see quite a few more folks on this board cheering against Clemson. That said, I don't see these games so much as a conference pride thing. Football is entertainment like all popular team sports. Frankly, most people get tired of seeing the same team(s) win every year. How many people hope New England wins another Super Bowl this season? Probably a very small number unless you live up there. Bammer has won this thing a lot the past 6 years or so. A huge majority of fans inside and outside SEC country are over it. Stack on top of that the fact that for a lot of us, Bammer is our bitter rival. I don't like Clemson at all, but I loathe Bammer.

Clemson 52-0, Saban being so mad he pisses his pants and AJ McCarron's wife admitting to her affair with Brent Musburger won't be enough embarrassment to bama fans for me. They need their ass beat

Facts are however is Tennessee competes as much with Clemson for recruits as they do bama

OP,

Who remembers who finished 19th last season....NO ONE!

Call me fickle. I did want Washington to beat Bama because I lived there for a couple of decades and was a Husky fan. But now that it's Bama-Clemson, it seems like my SEC pride kicks back in and I want to see Bama represent all of the SEC well.

Does may hatred for the Tide matter more than UT finishing the year 3-4 spots higher in the polls? is it better for Bama to suffer an ignominious defeat and be able to watch their fans suffer a little of what they dish out to all us underlings ? Or, should I be a loyal SEC promoter , cause whats good for Bama is good for the SEC and by extension UT? If Clemson wins, the CBS and ESPN talking heads will have a field day -" cause they knew all along the SEC aint what it used to be " Maybe the BIG Ten boosters will keep quiet because of the pathetic showing by Ohio State. Michigan , Iowa ,etc.etc. but the ACC pimps will be in hog heaven. What say you- Vol Nation?

I always want Alabama to lose, except against Florida (and that purely for division champ reasons). I would even root for Notre Dame against them. If we don't finish #1 in the polls, then the rest don't really matter. Finishing 18th or 21st is irrelevant. It's just there so everyone who doesn't win the title feels a little better. A Top 20 finish is like a nice, shiny participation trophy. Only fitting if Bama loses anyway, the SEC is way down this year from top to bottom otherwise. It was so bad there were at least 2 Big 10 teams that would have posted .500 records this year in the SEC.

I think the question posed by the OP centered on cheering for Bammer, not the whole SEC. I bet if Texas A&M or LSU were playing tomorrow, you would see quite a few more folks on this board cheering against Clemson. That said, I don't see these games so much as a conference pride thing. Football is entertainment like all popular team sports. Frankly, most people get tired of seeing the same team(s) win every year. How many people hope New England wins another Super Bowl this season? Probably a very small number unless you live up there. Bammer has won this thing a lot the past 6 years or so. A huge majority of fans inside and outside SEC country are over it. Stack on top of that the fact that for a lot of us, Bammer is our bitter rival. I don't like Clemson at all, but I loathe Bammer.

Hate to quote myself, but I'll be shameful here. The analogy to the New England Patriots can be extended to this. If the Pats are in the Superbowl, I wonder how many Bills, Jets, or Dolphis fans will be cheering on Bill and Tom to win one for the AFC East? On the other hand, if by some miracle the Dolphins are in the Superbowl, I can see some Bills, Jets, and maybe even Pats fans cheering on Miami.

VN Store

Back