The Big Question

Funny thing is the only ones keeping this non issue alive are the pearl clutchers over JA asking the most routine question imaginable. I guarantee if he hadn't asked it Cora would have. The AD made the headline of the hire this honking hot new system. Ya'll thought no one would ask about it? Adams said he thought her answer was great. I get there is reflexive Adams hate, it's his brand and he loves it, but carrying on about this is kinda crazy to me.

Funny thing is the only ones keeping this non issue alive are the pearl clutchers over JA asking the most routine question imaginable. I guarantee if he hadn't asked it Cora would have. The AD made the headline of the hire this honking hot new system. Ya'll thought no one would ask about it? Adams said he thought her answer was great. I get there is reflexive Adams hate, it's his brand and he loves it, but carrying on about this is kinda crazy to me.

Carrying on about CKC failing in all aspects before she’s coached a game is crazy to me. Guess we all have our stuff that bugs us.

I could see from her eyes in that moment that Kim Caldwell has the competitive fire. From her track record, it looks like she is able to get the players to buy in and bring that fire to a relentless style of basketball. Aggressive full court basketball is the best basketball! I'm excited.

Lots of respect for the previous two LV coaches--they were heavily in Pat's shadow because of their history and honored themselves with how deeply they cared and worked.

Last edited:
It’s just Majors, not John Majors or Johnny Majors.

Seems John asked a question the board is intrigued with. I look forward to your rebuttals to all those who had the same thoughts.

1. Adams is a pompous ass. I honestly wish he'd go back to Baton Rouge and cover his alma mater. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even like UT.
2. It was a stupid question. Of course the new coach thinks she can succeed here, or she wouldn't have taken the job.

Caldwell is 217 and 31 as a head coach. If Adams had asked about recruiting, that would have been far more salient. There's no way to know the answer on that front though, but it is the biggest unknown and a huge challenge.

Plus, I don't think John Adams even goes to Lady Vols games, so I know he hasn't watched a second of Marshall tape. They were not especially talented and still won. From what I've seen, Caldwell's teams turn people over and then they score. In my experience that has worked from Red Auerbach to present pretty well.

Reactions: MT_Vol
It also allowed CKC to have her “star moment” in an otherwise bland presser.

Standard question that’s being questioned by many here. Seems valid
Imo that’s a question for a different day bc I truly don’t believe she has the time or want to sit down and explain the Xs Os to everyone and y she thinks it works..

Timeline? Sure!

“Do u think it will work yes or no” Rhetorical and stupid as her answer sharp

Just not for a meet the coach interview. Would’ve loved a question about her titles… her resume… what she thinks she brings personally… I don’t think any reporter did a good job tbh.

You aren’t successful if you haven’t anticipated failure. And CKC has been successful.

And it’s never Adams’ questions: It’s his tone and attitude that are offensive.

You aren’t successful if you haven’t anticipated failure. And CKC has been successful.

And it’s never Adams’ questions: It’s his tone and attitude that are offensive.
The questions were stupid tho even the recruiting ones

Caldwell is 217 and 31 as a head coach. If Adams had asked about recruiting, that would have been far more salient. There's no way to know the answer on that front though, but it is the biggest unknown and a huge challenge.

Plus, I don't think John Adams even goes to Lady Vols games, so I know he hasn't watched a second of Marshall tape. They were not especially talented and still won. From what I've seen, Caldwell's teams turn people over and then they score. In my experience that has worked from Red Auerbach to present pretty well.
The record you cite was at a very different level. That's what Adams' questions was about, whether her system would translate at this level. That seems legit to me bc only Arkansas has tried that system in SEC WBB in recent memory and it hasn't gone well.

Imo that’s a question for a different day bc I truly don’t believe she has the time or want to sit down and explain the Xs Os to everyone and y she thinks it works..

Timeline? Sure!

“Do u think it will work yes or no” Rhetorical and stupid as her answer sharp

Just not for a meet the coach interview. Would’ve loved a question about her titles… her resume… what she thinks she brings personally… I don’t think any reporter did a good job tbh.

That was my issue with Adams question. It was not the question but time and place of it. Adams knew he was only going to get a basic nothing response coach speak answer to that question in that situation, so why ask it. Not sure of his motive there.

Reactions: VolFuture
DW had just made the new system the headline of the hire during his remarks. They've quickly made it the brand on social media. I don't see how the reporters don't ask about it.
Don't disagree with you just saying she was not going to give much of answer to it and why would she. What could she say other than I'm confident my system will carry over. She had her boss standing right there. IMO she gave the only correct answer she could in that moment. Just think it was a question for another time.

The record you cite was at a very different level. That's what Adams' questions was about, whether her system would translate at this level. That seems legit to me bc only Arkansas has tried that system in SEC WBB in recent memory and it hasn't gone well.
The only thing that’s similar about CKC’s approach to Arkansas’s is the quick offense, find and take the first good shot available. Arkansas does not go for the offensive rebound (283rd in the NCAA vs. 7th for Marshall) nor do they force turnovers (228th vs. 3rd). We’ll see, but CKC’s system sounds more well rounded than Neighbors’s system of just hoisting up a 3 then running back on defense.

The only thing that’s similar about CKC’s approach to Arkansas’s is the quick offense, find and take the first good shot available. Arkansas does not go for the offensive rebound (283rd in the NCAA vs. 7th for Marshall) nor do they force turnovers (228th vs. 3rd). We’ll see, but CKC’s system sounds more well rounded than Neighbors’s system of just hoisting up a 3 then running back on defense.
Exactly this is my problem with @glv98

U clearly don’t understand or intend to… to get to know her system. I heard John Adam’s compare her to that too and was like? Did u look at the metrics??? Asking what the system is FIRST wouldve been a better question

Reactions: Rifleman
John Adams will be fine and dandy. I doubt that he'll harbor a grudge. He probably didn't even take it as personal as some might hope. I wouldn't have. And, FWIW, I think Coach Kim will do well for The Lady Vols. Let's just hope that her "Plan A" is as good as John Elway's.

Cheers.
Harboring a grudge is literally the John Adams way. He is a columnist whose job it is to stir the pot, because that’s what maximizes clicks.

Exactly this is my problem with @glv98

U clearly don’t understand or intend to… to get to know her system. I heard John Adam’s compare her to that too and was like? Did u look at the metrics??? Asking what the system is FIRST wouldve been a better question
I don't mind understanding her system at all. Arky was all I could think of to the time, and I knew it was only on offense. Ohio St runs something similar to the D, right? But no one does both and that's kind of the point. It just seems like if it works on this level someone other than Nolan RIchardson in the 90s would run it. But someone's got to be first, we'll see. Maybe CKC is just way ahead of Dawn Staley and the others.

VN Store

Back