The Byrd Decision - Offense or Defense?

With as many WRs as we run in and out, could he not play both ways? 10-20 plays per game on offense and full time on defense?

I was discussing this with a friend of mine (Miami fan) and he made a good point. He asked how many times Byrd caught a pass last year (15 times). Can you get that production out of one of the other young receivers? Probably so. Now, are those 15 catches better than having a lightning fast shut-down corner (his natural position in high school). I say move him to defense!!

So last season at WR Tyler averaged 1.2 catches per game, 13.9 yards per catch, with no TDs. Now, maybe the threat of his speed opened things up for other route runners. Only the coaches would know that.

His 8 rushing attempts produced a long of 22, but he otherwise averaged only about 5 yards per carry. Again, the threat of jet sweeps and reverses is necessary for our the success of our offense.

But our defense gave up 18.3 completions per game, and our CBs came up with only two interceptions all last season. A shutdown corner truly effects every play on defense.

I think the old coaching adage is still true--put your best athletes on defense. And if Tyler's earnings future lies on that side of the ball, I think a public, educational institution has an ethical obligation to prepare him for it.

Reactions: 1 person
So last season at WR Tyler averaged 1.2 catches per game, 13.9 yards per catch, with no TDs. Now, maybe the threat of his speed opened things up for other route runners. Only the coaches would know that.

His 8 rushing attempts produced a long of 22, but he otherwise averaged only about 5 yards per carry. Again, the threat of jet sweeps and reverses is necessary for our the success of our offense.

But our defense gave up 18.3 completions per game, and our CBs came up with only two interceptions all last season. A shutdown corner truly effects every play on defense.

I think the old coaching adage is still true--put your best athletes on defense. And if Tyler's earnings future lies on that side of the ball, I think a public, educational institution has an ethical obligation to prepare him for it.

good points. hard to argue that. i think when all is said and done, i'm moving toward his primary role being on defense, with maybe 5-10 snaps a game on offense...he's a pretty dynamic athlete, and can have an effect probably wherever we line him up.

Reactions: 1 person
Has anyone heard if he will definitely stay on offense?
I think the common wisdom is that Malones departure means he can't move to defense.
But, I still wonder if the new secondary coach and Coach Shoop will try to lobby CBJ to give Byrd a DB tryout in the Spring.
Is there any remote chance that he could play both ways, maybe 75% of his snaps on offense and 25% on defense or vice versa?

Warrior and Kelly with grey coming in makes us deep at safety, so unless you're talking about him competing at corner (where we're desperate) I disagree. We're way too thin at WR.

VN Store

Back