The Endzone Garden Thread

Good Lord, how big do you think our basement is?!

It's this (ooo, look, tomatoes in the pic; yeah right):
View attachment 631908
All kidding aside, it's a really good setup, allowing control of air temp, soil temp, and humidity, and it frees up the horizontal space in the kitchen and sunroom for things other than a dozen 1020's. I'll pop up some pics at some point this weekend.

- the door closes with zippers from the top and bottom.
My step son had one of these in his garage from work. His was heavy with a relatively sturdy frame. It was a pill to erect and disassemble.

Reactions: VolNExile
Despite my early start, a number of my plants are still puny. I will attend to preparing the garden patch and begin planting next week.

When I was a lad whose years were counted in single digits, grass seed was sold with white clover included. All lawns in my neighborhood had white clover every spring. It was pretty, withstood mowing, and reseeded itself every year. Most importantly, it fixed nitrogen into the soil to keep lawns healthy and green. Then, chemical companies bought up most of the seed companies, and the practice stopped. The chemical companies wanted consumers to buy their products to keep monoculture lawns green and “free of weeds.” Clover was considered “a weed.”

My natural lawn has a healthy amount of white clover, even though the new neighborhood behind my property treat the lawns with chemicals to keep them monocultures (their lawn maintenance is controlled by the HOA). Runoff dumps some of these chemicals into storm water management systems despite the county’s program to reduce unwanted materials introduction into storm water systems. My property is a refuge for wild creatures. I have lizards and tree frogs and the last remaining lightning bugs. Pesticide-free mosquito traps help to keep the nasties numbers low. I spend less and do less to pollute our water resources. Yes, there are some other weeds in my yard. They get mowed and hold soil to prevent erosion. I do have to weed my garden patches, but I’m content to eat my organic vegetables.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Despite my early start, a number of my plants are still puny. I will attend to preparing the garden patch and begin planting next week.
Same. Coming along, but my tomatoes though growing and healthy are a bit small at this point considering when I started them and they stayed on a heat mat, with a grow light, in front of a west window. Garden getting tilled this evening. Will begin planting some things.

Reactions: Tin Man
You would not guess that I weeded my vegetable garden patch two weeks ago, it’s so full of weeds, now. I’m buying wheat straw before prepping it just before planting. To keep the weeds from forming seeds, I whack them down regularly.

You would not guess that I weeded my vegetable garden patch two weeks ago, it’s so full of weeds, now. I’m buying wheat straw before prepping it just before planting. To keep the weeds from forming seeds, I whack them down regularly.
I've been harvesting wheat for two years now. Luckily, it's easily recognizable and very easy to pull up.

Reactions: Tin Man
So a neighbor asked me to expand his master bathroom into attic space. We looked at it. Had it drawn up then something came up and we paused the project for a couple years. When the time came we demolished the existing bathroom and started taking down the wall between the bathroom and attic. Light came out of the hole we created so I looked in and there was a grow room with about 5 plants in there. I told everyone to go home and I waited on the homeowner. When he came home I explained that we were done in the bathroom and would be back tomorrow after he had time to “clean up”. If he needed any extra time it was no big deal. He said it should not take him much time to move “the stuff”. I said no problem and not to worry, I was the only one who looked in the attic. He said “why is that an issue?” I said “I don’t judge, just trying to be discrete”. He stopped reading his mail and said “wtf are you trying to tell me?” I know him pretty well so I said the grow room, you need to move the grow room “. In complete shock he said “grow room!??, what do you mean……grow……you mean weed?!?!?……why…..that mother ****er!!!”

His adult son still lived there at that time.
Needless to say all evidence was gone the next day.

So a neighbor asked me to expand his master bathroom into attic space. We looked at it. Had it drawn up then something came up and we paused the project for a couple years. When the time came we demolished the existing bathroom and started taking down the wall between the bathroom and attic. Light came out of the hole we created so I looked in and there was a grow room with about 5 plants in there. I told everyone to go home and I waited on the homeowner. When he came home I explained that we were done in the bathroom and would be back tomorrow after he had time to “clean up”. If he needed any extra time it was no big deal. He said it should not take him much time to move “the stuff”. I said no problem and not to worry, I was the only one who looked in the attic. He said “why is that an issue?” I said “I don’t judge, just trying to be discrete”. He stopped reading his mail and said “wtf are you trying to tell me?” I know him pretty well so I said the grow room, you need to move the grow room “. In complete shock he said “grow room!??, what do you mean……grow……you mean weed?!?!?……why…..that mother ****er!!!”

His adult son still lived there at that time.
Needless to say all evidence was gone the next day.
Instant classic and a riot. That could not have been made up any better.

VN Store

Back