The Gun is Loaded But Unfired

Pruitt should absolutely get an automatic pass for 2018. Here is why. If he were walking into a sitaution like Kifby Smart did at Georgia, then I would agree with you. Smart walked into a well stocked roster full of elite, well coached up players. Georgia had literally none of the problems we have.

Pruitt has NONE of what Smart had. I mean the guy fired 99% of Butch's staff. Think about that for a second. How many guys did Smart fire? Pruitt has to change the entire mindset, culture and mentality of this team. Our Vols are weak, slow, undisciplined, vastly underdeveloped and just bad. New offensive and defensive schemes. All of this takes time to put in place to become effective.

I think 6 wins is realistic expectations.

Well said!

Reactions: 2 people
How do you know they are capable ?

Pruitt hasn't led a major program before.

Sure, he's seen it done but so had Dooley. Butch had a dang good resume before he got here. We know how well those 2 did with our program.

The great coaches have to be great managers and coaches. We will see how things unfold in time.

OMG, please never put Pruitt and Dooley in the same sentence. I'm sure you've researched each of their coaching experiences right?

Reactions: 3 people
How do you know they are capable ?

Pruitt hasn't led a major program before.

Sure, he's seen it done but so had Dooley. Butch had a dang good resume before he got here. We know how well those 2 did with our program.

The great coaches have to be great managers and coaches. We will see how things unfold in time.
The one thing Coach P has that many others thrust into his position do/did not have, whether many on here like or believe it or not, is Phil Fulmer. I personally think that will be a great source of experience in the form of management for him to tap in to.

Expectations are extremely low. Not without reason for being so. But I’m not one to collapse in tears. I believe in my Volunteers. They will do better than most folks dream. I declare them to be a stealth team. Winning games they have no business winning. And that is just the beginning. Sure, that will be a surprise to say the least. But boy oh boy when they win the SEC-East. That will be as far as they go. They will play in major bowl, though. Stealth Vols is what the media will call them. There, you have it, I’ve gone out on a limb. An orange fire is lit and burning hot. Volnation, stealth Vols is what we got. Get ready for a season you never expected. For a team generally unrespected.[

Expectations are extremely low? Have you read the numerous other delusional posters like you on here, making unrealistic predictions? They MAY win 6 games. That's realism.

I am willing to put money on us being better than 6-6

Expectations are extremely low. Not without reason for being so. But I’m not one to collapse in tears. I believe in my Volunteers. They will do better than most folks dream. I declare them to be a stealth team. Winning games they have no business winning. And that is just the beginning. Sure, that will be a surprise to say the least. But boy oh boy when they win the SEC-East. That will be as far as they go. They will play in major bowl, though. Stealth Vols is what the media will call them. There, you have it, I’ve gone out on a limb. An orange fire is lit and burning hot. Volnation, stealth Vols is what we got. Get ready for a season you never expected. For a team generally unrespected.

NOT BAD! But it doesn't quite meter out. Put a word in take a word out here and there-----WA LA!

Let's face it - we are going to have "B" players on the field playing against mostly "A" Teams this Fall. However, we have all witnessed "B" teams that are well coached and prepared surprise the enemy. We will be under the radar come September and there is no denying this but, couldn't the same be said of the team the year after Peyton left town??

Let's face it - we are going to have "B" players on the field playing against mostly "A" Teams this Fall. However, we have all witnessed "B" teams that are well coached and prepared surprise the enemy. We will be under the radar come September and there is no denying this but, couldn't the same be said of the team the year after Peyton left town??

Your memory of the '98 team roster has faded. We were loaded, especially on defense. How many of that team went on to the NFL?
Can't compare that roster to the present roster.:eek:lol:

Reactions: 3 people
Seeing the awards on the SEC network recently (can’t remember what they called them) for people who made ridiculous preseason predictions that DID NOT COME CLOSE made me realize that predictions are for the emotionally attached fanatic (not you of course cause I appreciate your fervor). So I don’t usually make predictions and from now own I certainly won’t. Having said that I won’t be surprised with an 8-4 to a 5-7 season. I really won’t. And I hereby promise not to react like a sniffling, whining uninformed “fan” either way...emotionalism over a sport is borderline unmanly and completely unattractive. I agree with what the GREAT Reggie White once said...”Cry over a football game?”...NEVER!!!!!

I liked the smoky grays for special occasions but prefer to see the bright orange & white regularly--the brighter the orange, the better. Lol. Let's'em know we're coming!

Agree.
One home game per year go all orange.
One home game per year go smoky gray.
One home game per year fans checkerboard Neyland.
One road game per year wear orange pants.

Expectations are extremely low. Not without reason for being so. But I’m not one to collapse in tears. I believe in my Volunteers. They will do better than most folks dream. I declare them to be a stealth team. Winning games they have no business winning. And that is just the beginning. Sure, that will be a surprise to say the least. But boy oh boy when they win the SEC-East. That will be as far as they go. They will play in major bowl, though. Stealth Vols is what the media will call them. There, you have it, I’ve gone out on a limb. An orange fire is lit and burning hot. Volnation, stealth Vols is what we got. Get ready for a season you never expected. For a team generally unrespected.

I believe what you say however. When we get excited about our improvement O would say that all the other teams are improving also
Are we just keeping pace with the other teams or are we closing the gap?

Expectations are extremely low. Not without reason for being so. But I’m not one to collapse in tears. I believe in my Volunteers. They will do better than most folks dream. I declare them to be a stealth team. Winning games they have no business winning. And that is just the beginning. Sure, that will be a surprise to say the least. But boy oh boy when they win the SEC-East. That will be as far as they go. They will play in major bowl, though. Stealth Vols is what the media will call them. There, you have it, I’ve gone out on a limb. An orange fire is lit and burning hot. Volnation, stealth Vols is what we got. Get ready for a season you never expected. For a team generally unrespected.[

Expectations are extremely low? Have you read the numerous other delusional posters like you on here, making unrealistic predictions? They MAY win 6 games. That's realism.

Need OLs to start winning big games. Wouldn't get expectations up. Couple of posters are warning that situation does not look good, because it doesn't.

Reactions: 1 person
He would have to go 0-12 for the administration to raise one eyebrow at his job performance. He is entrenched for a while unless something unseemly surfaces. Also, anyone crying tears over prospective losing seasons to come needs to get a grip. It's where the program is for the present and we must all look for small signs of improvement as each week plays out.

Reactions: 2 people
Need OLs to start winning big games. Wouldn't get expectations up. Couple of posters are warning that situation does not look good, because it doesn't.

I believe for every drop of rain that falls
A flower grows
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night
A candle glows
I believe for everyone who goes astray
Someone will come to show the way
I believe, I believe

And I just believe in our Vols.
I will believe until my time comes I've faded away.
And oh, goodness knows, what else can I say?
With an orange heart, I know no other way,
than to just keep on believing.

I believe for every drop of rain that falls
A flower grows
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night
A candle glows
I believe for everyone who goes astray
Someone will come to show the way
I believe, I believe

And I just believe in our Vols.
I will believe until my time comes I've faded away.
And oh, goodness knows, what else can I say?
With an orange heart, I know no other way,
than to just keep on believing.

I’ve seen it with my own eyes. It’s easy for me to believe.

I’m not sure who all this will quote, or who else believes that this year’s team may bounce back stronger than many expect.

Bring on WV. I believe we scuff them up.

I think we have potential to be good next year.. maybe an 8-win season. Look at the returning and incoming talent at RB, WR, LB, and S. Let’s hope the light comes on for our OL & DL.. if it does, it’ll make all the difference.

I think we have potential to be good next year.. maybe an 8-win season. Look at the returning and incoming talent at RB, WR, LB, and S. Let’s hope the light comes on for our OL & DL.. if it does, it’ll make all the difference.

You forgot our pivotal position.

QB...

The one thing Coach P has that many others thrust into his position do/did not have, whether many on here like or believe it or not, is Phil Fulmer. I personally think that will be a great source of experience in the form of management for him to tap in to.

Wasn’t Fulmer fired as UT’s HC?

Your memory of the '98 team roster has faded. We were loaded, especially on defense. How many of that team went on to the NFL?
Can't compare that roster to the present roster.:eek:lol:

While we may have been loaded, it really was not until the year was over before we knew that. A number of players stepped up that year (and out of the shadow of PM) including Tee Martin - who was an unknown quantity going into the season.

As I recall, nobody was suggesting that UT was preseason Top 10 and going to win the SEC East and or NC. If I am wrong, I will sit corrected.

Go Vols

Don't show your bitterness. Maybe Smart can get y'all back to the playoff with his own recruits.

Just a dumb statement ... he has recruited at a higher level than Richt and I liked Richt .. but the three year run Kirby is on right now (2017, 2018, 2019) on recruiting is unprecedented.

Just a dumb statement ... he has recruited at a higher level than Richt and I liked Richt .. but the three year run Kirby is on right now (2017, 2018, 2019) on recruiting is unprecedented.

You're right. I doubt if he gets y'all back to the playoffs anytime soon.

VN Store

Back