The harsh reality

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
There were way too many people that bought in to the pre-season hype. The Vols were the media darlings and the more and more it kept happening, the hype train kept getting bigger. This team was in no way going to be an SEC contender this year. Plenty had said that 2016 would be the year, including Butch himself.

The harsh reality is that a majority got it in their head that we were guaranteed Atlanta in December and we were all of a sudden the Alpha Male of the conference. That's a joke and it always was. The media is terrible at predictions anyways, after all, Auburn is supposedly going to win the national title at the years end.

Everything will be okay, Tennessee isn't just what the media made y'all think they had miraculously become coming off an 7-6 season.

Reactions: 2 people
The harsh reality is we have coaches who don't know how to coach up players and who go for a one point conversion when you're up by 12.

Reactions: 5 people
The harsh reality is we have coaches who don't know how to coach up players and who go for a one point conversion when you're up by 12.

You wanna blame a head coach for defensive players not wrapping up, or receivers dropping wide open passes. Please, give me a ****ing break.

Reactions: 3 people
Sorry, I love Tennessee, not Botch Jones. He and the entire administration should be shown the door asap.

The media didn't blow three games in which they had a two TD lead, Butch did.

Reactions: 1 person
You wanna blame a head coach for defensive players not wrapping up, or receivers dropping wide open passes. Please, give me a ****ing break.

It may come as a news flash to you but, the coaches are responsible for player development. You see the product on the field.

There were way too many people that bought in to the pre-season hype. The Vols were the media darlings and the more and more it kept happening, the hype train kept getting bigger. This team was in no way going to be an SEC contender this year. Plenty had said that 2016 would be the year, including Butch himself.

The harsh reality is that a majority got it in their head that we were guaranteed Atlanta in December and we were all of a sudden the Alpha Male of the conference. That's a joke and it always was. The media is terrible at predictions anyways, after all, Auburn is supposedly going to win the national title at the years end.

Everything will be okay, Tennessee isn't just what the media made y'all think they had miraculously become coming off an 7-6 season.

So by your logic we go into 2016 with a piss poor 2015 and upset a ton of people on the schedule.
It is pretty rare that a team comes out of nowhere in the SEC and suddenly competes. It usually involves winning a few games, probably some you were not expected to win, in the previous season to get to the point where one can say "2016is the year"
These seasons look exactly like the Dooley years. It won't be better til it is better. There is no reason to think 2016 will be "the" year.

Coach Mathews agrees for whatever that's worth.

Positives from Doug:
Fewer Penalties
Fewer Turnovers
Great Kick Return and Coverage
We're getting better and are a better team than last year.

We've had a 13 point lead in every game this year and have choked it away in 3 of them - that's on the coaches.

Yes, we want to blame coaches for kids not learning how to wrap up and receivers learning to catch it.

The harsh reality is losing games in the 4th quarter the way we have does not create confidence in the process. Is there any confidence in the locker room that they can win a meaningful game?

I don't blame just the coaches.....like I said in another post earlier the whole organization sucks right now. We have a crap AD who hired a mid major coach who brought his friends in to coach who can't develop 4 and 5 star recruits....therefore we will continue to lose to anyone who is above mid major coaching level.

If you think we'll be any better next year, I have some investments I'd like to talk to you about.

It may come as a news flash to you but, the coaches are responsible for player development. You see the product on the field.

This may come as a news flash to you, but when I played football all of my life, the coaches could coach all they wanted to, but when it was game time, it was up to our play to win the game, not the coaches.

The harsh reality is that Lyle sucks as a game day coach and you bought into his hype.

This is not the place for him to learn on the job and he needs to GTFO.

Never believed the hype... Until you beat any than matters consistently.. You are irrelevant

Did I say head coach? I don't believe so. If DI SEC players don't know how to tackle five games in, I have to say the coaches deserve their share of the results we see on field.

This may come as a news flash to you, but when I played football all of my life, the coaches could coach all they wanted to, but when it was game time, it was up to our play to win the game, not the coaches.

Coaches are responsible for the product THEY put on the field. Jones and his staff aren't getting it done. It's time to cut bait.

Totally false. Nobody thought we were guaranteed a trip anywhere, that's horsecrap. Many to most, me included, accurately said this team should compete for the SEC, should push Georgia, would most likely finish 2nd behind Georgia given the rest of the mess in the SEC East.

Most everybody on here looked at the talent on the roster, the shortcomings of the rest of the SECe and Conference in general and the schedule we play....and said 8-4 or 9-3 is the realistic target. Virtually nobody said "oh yeah, we're definitely headed to Atlanta to play Alabama"....you're pedaling some type of revisionist history here and it ain't flying.

Totally false. Nobody thought we were guaranteed a trip anywhere, that's horsecrap. Many to most, me included, accurately said this team should compete for the SEC, should push Georgia, would most likely finish 2nd behind Georgia given the rest of the mess in the SEC East.

Most everybody on here looked at the talent on the roster, the shortcomings of the rest of the SECe and Conference in general and the schedule we play....and said 8-4 or 9-3 is the realistic target. Virtually nobody said "oh yeah, we're definitely headed to Atlanta to play Alabama"....you're pedaling some type of revisionist history here and it ain't flying.

This. Before the season everyone thought the Sec East was a mess. The one team who looked good on paper had a new QB and a history of choking

Uh, well....if he doesn't then I will.
Thats called PLAYER DEVELOPMENT!
It's also known as being "coached up", or "fundamentally sound coaching". See, believe it or not, those are the areas that coaching DOES impact greatly. How old are you? Do you remember teams like Nebraska lining up and telling you what they were going to run? Heck man, all of the true greats focused on coachingup fundamentally sound teams and scheme be damned. The General, the Bear......I could go on.

Last edited:
Not bashing, but what happen to Dobbs? his passing mechanics have completely went south, under thrown, over thrown and the WRs dropping the balls. I know Azzani is coaching both the QB and WRs, so what happen? Also, our DL is too young, that was apparent to one of the best OL in the SEC, key injuries have placed this team 2 years back.

Not sure if Deborg is the answer, but Fla found a winner.

Everyone needs to relax. Many things have gone awry so far this season, beginning with some questionable coaching decisions in key situations, but I'm not as upset about this loss as the other two. This was a game Arkansas won, not a game we lost (see OU & UF).

We saw a more balanced approach to this game, which we were begging for. Dobbs' passing will get better as he gets more opportunities (bc that's usually how it works, practice makes perfect). Hopefully, our defensive front will become more disruptive as the season goes along, because they're the biggest disappointment so far, in my opinion.

VN Store

Back