The Official #21 Tennessee vs. #17 Iowa Citrus Bowl Game Thread, 1:00 PM ET, ABC

If you want your backup to throw the ball, you put him in with 6 minutes to go in the game or somesuch. We had a 35--0 lead with, what, half of the 4th quarter to go? Instead, Heup puts his backup in the game with 2/3 minutes to go in a blowout--and he's got him throwing the ball deep in their territory with 40 seconds on the clock. That's just disrespectful, period. You don't do it. It's not a huge deal, but Heupel has done this a few times and he really should stop. If you want to give your backup real game reps and running our full scheme, then put him in earlier, that's all.
I must disagree. I wanted to see 42 points. It's like boxing. Get the KO, not the TKO. Throttle your opponent. NEVER let up.

If you want your backup to throw the ball, you put him in with 6 minutes to go in the game or somesuch. We had a 35--0 lead with, what, half of the 4th quarter to go? Instead, Heup puts his backup in the game with 2/3 minutes to go in a blowout--and he's got him throwing the ball deep in their territory with 40 seconds on the clock. That's just disrespectful, period. You don't do it. It's not a huge deal, but Heupel has done this a few times and he really should stop. If you want to give your backup real game reps and running our full scheme, then put him in earlier, that's all.
This is football, not the Girl Scouts. Huepel wanted to get Nico a lot of reps going into next season.

Trust me ... no one is crying ... just lamenting the death of sportmanship.
Meh. Revisionist history at best.

Kneeling wasn't even a big thing until the 70s. Sure, coaches ran up the gut with a big lead to minimize injuries because in the old days people could and would take scalps when losing big.

But, sure, keep telling us about sportsmanship in the old days.

Reactions: loservol
While I don't disagree with you, you might want dismount your high horse. Folks say the same about the SEC being all Bama and GA (sometimes Bam and LSU). Neigh!!!
Not trying to be on a high horse. Simply saying SEC athletes from top to bottom tend to be pretty good.

I agree that Bama and UGA are the elite of the SEC. I would offer, however, that the drop off in athleticism is far less in the SEC.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Great game. Wish I could have seen more of it. comcast dropped internet/cable right as they were doing the Kinnick Wave and didn't come back on until 2nd quarter of bamich game.

I think I have it saved.

Heupel is pretty classless in end of game situations. He's done this multiple times.
I've not been a huge fan of a couple of games but multiple times now they get inside the 5 and let the clock run out. There was still a lot of time left on the previous drive and they DIDNT score on the last drive so they didn't run it up.

What a great day and great game that was. Nico and our defense balled out. Sampson is explosive but man he really needs to learn how to block better. Gonna get Nico killed in SEC play like that.

Momentum into the 2024 season feels good :)

Early on there were questions. Couldn’t stop their offense until their qb threw the pick. It is what it is.
You better go defend your house cause you are not going to be able to defend a shot of early game negativism since it supported an ANTI something VOL agenda. That defensive stand was great and that backup in there due to the mass exodus from that room had obviously been coached up by our DC and staff. Go join or like the over the top multiple classless attacks on CJH end game calls for being classless. The new age LOMs are having to dig deep for material.

VN Store

Back