The Official #5 Tennessee @ Georgia Game Thread, 12:00 PM ET, ESPN2

Last year, the only year they sold out, they had four home losses, including to Arkansas and Memphis. They've yet to face the meat of the SEC this year. Whatever feeling the fans have, the opposing team is this far unaffected.
Auburn didn’t have a good team last year. Who has a more hostile arena?

Auburn didn’t have a good team last year. Who has a more hostile arena?
In all seriousness, you can compare Bruce at Tennessee vs Bruce at Auburn to see who has the better home arena (Bruce vs Barnes isn't fair because the Vols have a significantly better record under Barnes than they did under Bruce). TBA is clearly the more intimidating arena, if opponents' performance is the measure.

In all seriousness, you can compare Bruce at Tennessee vs Bruce at Auburn to see who has the better home arena (Bruce vs Barnes isn't fair because the Vols have a significantly better record under Barnes than they did under Bruce). TBA is clearly the more intimidating arena, if opponents' performance is the measure.
Sure if you’ve never been to both, I could see how one could come to that conclusion. TBA would be more intimidating based on pure size and amount of people, but when it comes to noise and crowd engagement, it’s not on the same level. We might as well act like Rupp Arena and the Dean Dome are some of the most intimidating places to play and ignore what we actually see.

Last edited:
Sure if you’ve never been to both, I could see how one could come to that conclusion. TBA would be more intimidating based on pure size and amount of people, but when it comes to noise and crowd engagement, it’s not on the same level. We might as well act like Rupp Arena and the Dean Dome are some of the most intimidating places to play and ignore what we actually see.
What you're saying is that it's entirely subjective, and that you are personally more intimidated at Auburn's arena. Which is fine, you can have that opinion. There's just not an objective measure to suggest that I have to agree, or you would have already offered it. Teams don't underperform while visiting Auburn's arena, so I don't think they're being intimidated by it, as much as the atmosphere may appeal to true Auburn fans.

What you're saying is that it's entirely subjective, and that you are personally more intimidated at Auburn's arena. Which is fine, you can have that opinion. There's just not an objective measure to suggest that I have to agree, or you would have already offered it. Teams don't underperform while visiting Auburn's arena, so I don't think they're being intimidated by it, as much as the atmosphere may appeal to true Auburn fans.
Except the only ones who would qualify TBA more intimidating/hostile than Neville today, would be Tennessee homers.

Students surrounding and close to the floor is objectively better than our setup, which is what this was originally about. Even if you held the orange tinted glasses opinion that TBA is more intimidating, moving to a similar setup would only help make it even more intimidating.

Except the only ones who would qualify TBA more intimidating/hostile than Neville today, would be Tennessee homers.

Students surrounding and close to the floor is objectively better than our setup, which is what this was originally about. Even if you held the orange tinted glasses opinion that TBA is more intimidating, moving to a similar setup would only help make it even more intimidating.
If it's objectively better, you can pull up a measurement beyond opinion to show what exactly is better about it. If it's just your opinion, that's fine, you don't have to argue yourself into a corner because you lack confidence in your opinion. Do you really like Auburn's arena? Just say you like it because you like it, you don't need another reason (pretty sure you don't have one).

If it's objectively better, you can pull up a measurement beyond opinion to show what exactly is better about it. If it's just your opinion, that's fine, you don't have to argue yourself into a corner because you lack confidence in your opinion. Do you really like Auburn's arena? Just say you like it because you like it, you don't need another reason (pretty sure you don't have one).
It’s not an opinion. More students closer to the floor is objectively better. Now you’re just being obtuse. Let’s just move all the lower bowl students to the upper bowl since it’s not better and sell their seats for more money.

It’s not an opinion. More students closer to the floor is objectively better. Now you’re just being obtuse. Let’s just move all the lower bowl students to the upper bowl since it’s not better and sell their seats for more money.
Can you explain what is improved? If you don’t have numbers, it’s not objective.

Can you explain what is improved? If you don’t have numbers, it’s not objective.
Yes, sound level on the court. Increased visual distraction. Feel free to go out and measure it yourself after you move the students to the upper bowl. If you need a lesson on how sound waves travel, feel free to do that as well.

This doesn’t even consider the impact they have on surrounding fans.

End of discussion.

Yes, sound level on the court. Increased visual distraction. Feel free to go out and measure it yourself after you move the students to the upper bowl.

This doesn’t even consider the impact they have on surrounding fans.

End of discussion.
What are those numbers, exactly? How does that impact the other fans?

I said, if you read my post, that doesn’t consider the impact it has on surrounding fans, as that isn’t something you can measure.

But feel free to deflect.
You were comparing Auburn's atmosphere with Cameron Indoor Stadium. That might be the goal, but that's now where you're at right now.

For what it's worth, SEC Media Days did ask the players themselves once what was the toughest place to play. 28 players were asked -- I imagine all they could find -- and though Auburn rated highly, the toughest was Thompson Boling Arena: Thompson-Boling Arena voted SEC's toughest place to play

I haven't been able to find anything about it for succeeding years.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You were comparing Auburn's atmosphere with Cameron Indoor Stadium. That might be the goal, but that's now where you're at right now.

For what it's worth, SEC Media Days did ask the players themselves once what was the toughest place to play. 28 players were asked -- I imagine all they could find -- and though Auburn rated highly, the toughest was Thompson Boling Arena: Thompson-Boling Arena voted SEC's toughest place to play

I haven't been able to find anything about it for succeeding years.
You first paragraph makes no sense. And I don’t really care about something from 2019. In 4 short years a lot has changed. But even then I would never have Rupp/TBA above Bud Walton. Schedules also aren’t equal so who knows how many times each played in every venue.

Back to the original point, if you’re arguing against the laws of physics, then what are we really doing here? Sound waves get smaller the further they travel from the source.

So putting more students around the court is always going to make it louder on the court, so yes it makes sense to do so to create a better home court advantage. They don’t put students in those configurations for the fun of it.

Last edited:
You first paragraph makes no sense. And I don’t really care about something from 2019. In 4 short years a lot has changed. But even then I would never have Rupp/TBA above Bud Walton. Schedules also aren’t equal so who knows how many times each played in every venue.

Back to the original point, if you’re arguing against the laws of physics, then what are we really doing here? Sound waves get smaller the further they travel from the source.

So putting more students around the court is always going to make it louder on the court, so yes it makes sense to do so to create a better home court advantage. They don’t put students in those configurations for the fun of it.
Last year, the only sellout, doesn't count because the team sucked. When the team went to the Final Four in 2019, it doesn't count because you don't want it to? Are you basing your entire opinion of your venue on your out of conference opponents from this year?

All of our opponents comment on the difficulty of playing in our arena (in the post game interviews), we have one of the better home records in college basketball, opposing players when asked called out the venue as the toughest in the SEC. Does that point to the need to make a change that will alienate the top donors and might not pay off (seeing Auburn as an example) for fifteen years?

Last year, the only sellout, doesn't count because the team sucked. When the team went to the Final Four in 2019, it doesn't count because you don't want it to? Are you basing your entire opinion of your venue on your out of conference opponents from this year?

All of our opponents comment on the difficulty of playing in our arena (in the post game interviews), we have one of the better home records in college basketball, opposing players when asked called out the venue as the toughest in the SEC. Does that point to the need to make a change that will alienate the top donors and might not pay off (seeing Auburn as an example) for fifteen years?
Goalposts moved.

What's the whole point of arguing about it unless you want something changed? If you just want to talk about how much you enjoy Auburn games there are entire message boards dedicated to it.
You can’t let go can you? The goalposts would be in Texas a week from now if I didn’t disengage from this.

You can’t let go can you? The goalposts would be in Texas a week from now if I didn’t disengage from this.
The whole point you're trying to make is that you like something because you like it, not because you have any sort of argument in its favor.

VN Store

Back