The Official #6 [2] Tennessee vs. #11 [3] Creighton Game Thread, 10:09 PM ET, TBS/truTV

Loyer is really the one that killed us in Maui. Had like 28 points I think. We have to disrupt their guards just like we did tonight and make it more difficult to get the ball into Edey. Jay Wright noted they almost always enter it from the wing on the right side and he said TN has the ability to disrupt that.
Wright said Purdue NEVER enters the ball to Edey from the right side - always the left side or the center

What a terrific defensive game from the team but especially JJJ, ZZ, and Shak! They made life miserable for Creighton who hit 4 or 5 highly difficult shots just to keep game in reach. Add Santi to that group and I believe we may have 4 of the top defensive players at their positions in the country.
Also, even tho it wasn’t many minutes, the freshman did their jobs. MAN I bet Dillione and Carr HAD to be nervous when they heard their names called!
Just a fantastic team win!

Underrated play of the game: Cameron Carr's 3pt in the first half

Nope, the foul call on JJJ for demolishing their little white PG on that first half screen. That set the tone (along with Mashack) and their picks were much less committed after that.

We made Creighton feel how much more physically dominant we were just like we did to Duke last year and they backed down. Other than some crazy 3's and their lack of fouling kept it close.

Also, I told y'all that Barnes would adjust and shut down Creighton's pick and roll to a wide open big. Didn't happen once in second half and their skinny big had to work his ass off on offense for position against Awaka and JJJ. Elite defense, defensive coaching and athletes to play it. We have multiple guys (4-5) who are among the best in the country on D.

Barnes also utilized Gainey well on offense and he was a menace on D in the first half.

They’ve kept him pretty isolated all week, and has a mask on him til tonight. Hopefully we’ll dodge it.
They’ve got smart people handling that stuff, so I don’t guess they need my help. I’m guessing he’s past it but still very weak, which is normal for the flu. It’s a beast to get over.

What a terrific defensive game from the team but especially JJJ, ZZ, and Shak! They made life miserable for Creighton who hit 4 or 5 highly difficult shots just to keep game in reach. Add Santi to that group and I believe we may have 4 of the top defensive players at their positions in the country.
Also, even tho it wasn’t many minutes, the freshman did their jobs. MAN I bet Dillione and Carr HAD to be nervous when they heard their names called!
I don't think Carr was nervous. He probably said finally this guy gives me a shot to shine.

Reactions: gainesvol82
JJJ was sooooo good. He hit some huge shots in the 1H and played lock down defense in both halves. Cannot be overstated what he did for this team tonight.

I’m with you, we always seemed to get F’d playing them in any sport. I hate them as much as Bama.

I’m not going to give them that level of respect overall lol. I respect their basketball program, but football is only a slight annoyance. They beat us in controversial fashion, but I think many Vol fans were surprised that team even made a bowl game. Purdue was a much better team than us and we gave them hell for 60 minutes and more. Purdue isn’t in the same stratosphere as a football program compared to Tennessee. Doubt even Purdue fans would argue that.

Reactions: 08Vol
A little late to the party…good ole Rocky Top! So happy for this group of guys and Coach Barnes. Purdue will be a tough matchup obviously with Edey. Will take a really good offensive outing because you know Purdue is efficient offensively and get a ton of free throw attempts. For now, though, this Elite Eight feeling is soooo good.

You just can’t resist taking a cheap shot at Barnes.
How is that a cheap shot, the kid has the utmost confidence in himself. I just was saying I don’t think the kid was nervous. How many guys come off the bench as freshman in a crucial game and take the first shot they get. Your reaching big time with this one.

VN Store

Back