The Official #6 [2] Tennessee vs. #3 [1] Purdue Game Thread, 2:20 PM ET, ESPN

3 post below you'll see zeigler 3-12. black and white tells the story. our point guard should've passed off to better shooters
Zeigler was showing classic signs of fatigue early in the game, and as to be expected, he never recovered from it. His shots were falling short, he missed too many free throws, and he wasn’t near as tenacious on defense as usual. Once fatigue sets in, it is extremely hard to shake.

To be honest the past two games just left me not wanting to watch college basketball anymore. When there is zero accountability for game being called consistently it just ruins it.

Gonna miss ya'.

The better team didn’t win today, but the team that has the coach that complains more did. The team that the NCAA wanted in the final 4 is there, but the better team is heading home to Knoxville.
So we lost to a team that is worse than us?

heh

Tough loss. I really hate it that it ended that way for SV and JJJ. Both played their hearts out and gave so much all year. You know SV wanted to be in there so bad but was obviously running on fumes. Also hate it for ZZ. He’s played so well all year and May have been worn down some. Just a tough day to have a bad shooting day. I also thought the game plan early was pretty good. First few possessions we had Aidoo come out and screen for ZZ drawing Lurch away from the basket. Only problem was, he stopped ZZ who passed to Aidoo for short jumpers when Lurch just backed off under the rim. Aidoo‘s first shot went about 5 feet. Only problem as he was about 6 feet from the basket, so it was an airball. We’ve seen him make those this year but today wasn’t his day. If he makes a few of those easy 6-8 footers it would have changed the way Lurch had to guard. After that he just backed up and stood under the rim, guarding nobody and getting every rebound. I also noticed Purdue sent all 5 to the defensive glass which is part of the reason they out rebounded us so bad. Barnes‘ teams are known for defense and rebounding. Rebounding wasn’t there today. Our leading rebounder today was Zeigler with 4. Hard to believe.

Reactions: VaBornVol
Knecht can't do it by himself against a team like Purdue.
Apparently everyone else on the team thought so. I saw several players down the stretch pass up good looks just to try to get the ball in Knecht’s hands. I guess it absolves them of putting the loss on their shoulders.

Mannnnnn I get so worried he's gonna retire every year.

I hope he coaches another 4-5 years.

He’s at the point of his career where retirement is always a possibility. Wouldn’t be shocked if in a few days we find out that he’s coached his last game. Also wouldn’t be surprised if he comes back for ZZ’s final go around.

i think i spread the blame around to more than the coach. you just want to protect them because you pull for them. open your eyes and watch the game
Reality is you just want to blame and not look at the success they have had. No one likes negative and miserable people hanging around. Bye bye.

Reactions: sami
2 points is an all time performance?

We were outmanned with Estrella in the game. He gave a valiant effort on defense but he was ineffective rebounding and didn't provide a scoring punch. He was better than Aidoo which is not saying much. We needed someone to be a scoring threat and Awaka just wasn't on the floor long enough.

i went back and reread it. your exact words stated that aidoo wasn't good on opposing bigs but our "best" and i disagree based on what i saw today. awaka played edey better for the short time either was in the game,imo.

Best rim defender and help defender. Not best defender of opposing big men. It's clear as day. You need help, bro.

Reactions: gainesvol82
He’s at the point of his career where retirement is always a possibility. Wouldn’t be shocked if in a few days we find out that he’s coached his last game. Also wouldn’t be surprised if he comes back for ZZ’s final go around.
See that’s what I keep going back and fourth with. Comes back for ZZ’s final year or just go ahead and retire.

He’s done enough for this program, but selfishly I want him here for a few more years.

See that’s what I keep going back and fourth with. Comes back for ZZ’s final year or just go ahead and retire.

He’s done enough for this program, but selfishly I want him here for a few more years.

My gut says that RB’s final game will be ZZ’s final game, but that’s just a gut feeling.

Reactions: gainesvol82
We had 2 players, they had 5. Overall, they were the better team.
No. Purdue was just as reliant on Edey and Loyer .... as Tennessee was on Knecht and Zeigler. Both teams were very much two man shows on offense today. The difference was, what a rebounding force Edey was, and how much he was able to get to the free throw line.

Also, the game was tied at 56 with 7 minutes to play. We were in a good spot, without even having to play our best game to be there.

He did play well but there was little skill involved. If I were scoring 6-foot jump hooks elbowing 5' 8" guys camped in the paint on a 9' goal, I don't think anybody would consider me very skilled but you win on a technicality because there is some skill involved. Edey is a very good college player. I don't consider him to be a skilled hooper. You can be the Vol fan who breathlessly argues that he is. Have at it.
If frogs had wings then they wouldn’t hit their backsides either. And you can be the Vols fan who breathlessly cant give a kid his due. Have at it. He’s playing the game the way he’s successful and until someone changes that or the refs start calling it both ways. Seems smart to me. Unlike myself who is producing stats and not opinions like yourself this is where it changes. But fortunes are for discussion, disagreements and this one especially, opinions.

VN Store

Back