The Official Illinois @ Tennessee Series Thread (Fri. 3/8 6PM EST) (Sat. 3/9 1PM EST) (Sun. 3/10 1PM EST) (All games on SEC NET+)

Ok, I'm scared to ask but I'm going to ask anyway. For someone new to the baseball game threads this season, where did the term "dong" for a HR originate?

"Here in this baseball dictionary, you can see the term was first recorded in 1987 as a Seattle Mariner's term. Then, it was called a "Dome dong," a home run hit inside a dome. Later, you can see that in the 90's "dong" began to exist on its own and be a simple term for all home runs."

https://www.reddit.com/r/KCRoyals/c...is baseball dictionary,term for all home runs.

Bargo - BB (full count).

Curley - Backwards K.

Chapman - BB (full count).

*Runners on 2B and 1B with 1 out*

Moore - Grounder to SS. Fielder's choice to 2B forced out.

*Runners on the corners with 2 outs*

Burke - RBI double! It was a shallow fly ball into no man's land on the 3B line. Rain helped the fielders struggle getting to it. Bargo scores from 3B.

*Runners on 3B and 2B with 2 outs*

Moore scores from 3B on a wild pitch! Burke advances to 3B.

Amick - BB (full count).

*Runners on the corners with 2 outs*

Burke scores from 3B on a wild pitch! Amick advances to 2B.

Tears - BB (full count).

*Runners on 2B and 1B with 2 outs*

*Illinois starter is getting pulled after 66 pitches and 2 K's.*

VOLS lead 5-0. Bottom of 2nd. Vols score 3 in the inning thus far.

Illinois starter's day is done after 66 pitches and 2 K's. Illinois reliever #1 to the mound.

*Runners on 2B and 1B with 2 outs*

Runners advance to 3B and 2B on a wild pitch.

Dreiling - 3-Run DONG to straight CF!!! Amick scores from 3B and Tears scores from 2B.

Peebles - Error on 1B. Safe at 1B.

Bargo - K.

VOLS lead 8-0. End of 2nd. Vols score 6 in the inning thus far.

Illinois reliever #1 is at 12 pitches and 1 K.

Nightmare for ILLIONOIS
giphy.gif

Reactions: Volstylexx
Lily Dong! 3 run homer!
….love those overhead curvy numbers… 😉
My gf, her friend and about 9 other people in my apartment are very confused by the Lily part.

Add in my me and my 3 apartment mates and our living room is SRO and now we have Lily Dong convo. haha and loving it. You guys are making more and more UT fans by the min here in the A-T-L

Also... it's an international crowd that don't know baseball, so you're making new fans of the sport on top of that.... JS

Ah. Thanks! Makes sense now. I was afraid of the answers I might get.
There was a broadcast mlb crew that was credited for first use….Chicago Cubs? I ferget.

Now, that overhead curvy number thingie? A Lily? That’s yours truly and local to the Volnation BaseVol Game Threads. 😈

My gf, her friend and about 9 other people in my apartment are very confused by the Lily part.

Add in my me and my 3 apartment mates and our living room is SRO and now we have Lily Dong convo. haha and loving it. You guys are making more and more UT fans by the min here in the A-T-L

Also... it's an international crowd that don't know baseball, so you're making new fans of the sport on top of that.... JS

wow. sounds like a good showing. You have your sp's on saturday??

Ground out to SS. Curley is skipping a lot of balls to 1B.

Ground out to SS. He did not skip that one lol

Ground out to SS. Curley skipped it again.

VOLS lead 8-0. Middle of 3rd.

Beam is at 36 pitches and 2 K's.

NICE! that's how you do it.

ICYMI, apparently skipping a wet ball across the ground is the preferred way to get the out versus airing it out. Thanks, @taylorvol
Yep. On the list of things that are possible: throwing a ball higher than your first baseman can leap.

Not on that list: throwing a ball lower than your first baseman can reach.

VN Store

Back