The Official Queens @ #1 Tennessee Game Thread (Tues. May 7th 6PM EST SECNET+)

Don't think either whistler is gone. There was an internet hoax that one had passed away.

Whenever they whistle, we chant "LET'S GO VOLS!"
Pretty sure the "originated" Whistler ( obnoxious LOUD one who also starts cheers) is gone. Wife attends all games in Nashville & says that two other whistlers aren't the same nor as LOUD. Sweep/flush the commode-doors.

Queens was founded as an all women’s school as the sister school to Davison Which was an all men’s school.
I often heard the stories at Davidson that Lefty Driesell drove recruits to the Queens campus and told em thAt this is where they would be playing.

My freshman roommate, who was in Lefty's last signing class, claimed that was the truth

Queens Royals
(12-36) Overall (8-16) ASUN

View attachment 638794
@
Tennessee Volunteers
(39-9) Overall (17-7) SEC
View attachment 638795

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Top-ranked Tennessee hosts Queens University of Charlotte on Tuesday evening at Lindsey Nelson Stadium for its lone home game this week before hitting the road for another conference road series this weekend. The Volunteers rose to No. 1 in all major polls this week after a series win on the road at Florida over the weekend, capping the series with a dominant 16-3 run-rule victory over the Gators in Saturday's rubber game.

BROADCAST INFO

Tuesday's game will be streamed live on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app as Zack Nelson (PxP) and Caylan Arnold (analyst) will be on the call.

Fans can also listen to John Wilkerson and Vine Ferrara call the action on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990). A free audio stream will also be available on UTSports.com, the Tennessee Athletics App and the Varsity App.

SERIES HISTORY

Overall: First Meeting
in Knoxville: N/A
in Charlotte: N/A
at Neutral Sites: N/A
Last Meeting: N/A

NOTABLE

Another Strong Week for Pitching Staff
UT's pitching staff is coming off another impressive weekend where it allowed just seven earned runs at Florida to help lead the Vols to their fourth consecutive series win in Gainesville. Over the past two series, Tennessee's pitchers have posted a 2.12 ERA and 53 strikeouts compared to just 11 walks in 51.0 innings of work.

Vols Rise to No. 1
The Vols rose to No. 1 in all of the major polls this week, marking their first No. 1 ranking since June 6, 2022, when Tennessee was the unanimous top ranked team in the country for the 10th week during that season. The Big Orange have now been ranked No. 1 in at least one poll during 13 different weeks in program history, all of which have occurred during the Tony Vitello era (2018-present).

Moore Making a Case for SEC Player of the Year
Christian Moore is having an SEC Player of the Year caliber season for the Orange and White. The junior second baseman leads the league with a .430 batting average and 46 hits in conference play while ranking second in slugging percentage (.907), home runs (15) and total bases (97) and third in RBIs (32).

Moore was named the NCBWA National Player of the Month for April after leading the team in numerous offensive categories, including batting average (.452), runs (20), hits (28), doubles (five), home runs (10), RBIs (27), total bases (63), slugging percentage (1.016) and on-base percentage (.507). The junior second baseman also led the SEC in hits, while ranking second in RBIs and slugging percentage to help lead Tennessee to a stellar 13-3 record for the month with series wins over Auburn, No. 25 LSU, No. 3 Kentucky and Missouri.

Moore hit his team-leading 21st home run in last Saturday's series-clinching win at Florida and is now three away from tying the single-season program record of 24 set by Sonny Cortez in 1998.

OPPONENT SCOUT

Queens Royals (12-36, 8-16 ASUN)
  • Head Coach: Jake Hendrick (1st season)
  • 2023 Record: 17-38 (9-21 ASUN)
  • 2023 Postseason: N/A
  • 2024 ASUN Preseason Poll: 10th
  • Preseason All-Conference Selections (0)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Batting Avg: Dillon Lewis (.376)
    • Runs: Dillon Lewis (54)
    • Hits: Dillon Lewis (74)
    • Home Runs: Dillon Lewis (18)
    • RBI: Dillon Lewis (57)
    • Stolen Bases: Dillon Lewis (18)
    • Wins: Landry Jurecka / Joseph Rodriguez (3)
    • Saves: Three tied (1)1
    • ERA (min. 20 IP): Joey Ruller (4.71)
    • WHIP (min. 20 IP): Joey Ruller (1.67)
    • Innings Pitched: Landry Jurecka (63.2)
    • Strikeouts: Landry Jurecka (66)

ON DECK

The Vols will make the short drive west to Nashville for another SEC East rivalry series at Vanderbilt this weekend. Friday's series opener is slated for a 7 p.m. ET first pitch on SEC Network+ while Saturday and Sunday's games will be televised on the SEC Network and ESPN2.
Updated GBO

Pretty sure the "originated" Whistler ( obnoxious LOUD one who also starts cheers) is gone. Wife attends all games in Nashville & says that two other whistlers aren't the same nor as LOUD. Sweep/flush the commode-doors.
That whistler should have been arrested every game for creating a public nuisance, if not also drunk and disorderly after they tested him. The wife (widow?) (or was he finally banned?) should demand that Vandy silence the imitation whistlers as an offense to the dead and a heinous public indecency.

That whistler should have been arrested every game for creating a public nuisance, if not also drunk and disorderly after they tested him. The wife (widow?) (or was he finally banned?) should demand that Vandy silence the imitation whistlers as an offense to the dead and a heinous public indecency.
He's just an arrogant vandie big contributor & general nuiseance. Wife tells me most vandie fansi dislike him. Besides his LOUD whilstling, he's got the loudest hand CLAP ever & his Black-Gold cheer is jus wretched awful. Folks at Hoover & Omaha hate tim. Sweep the commode-doors this coming weekend, VOLS! :cool:

It’s all part of the marketing. They’re attempting to blend the two as part of a rebrand to D1. I could show you more specifics but it doesn’t really matter. Vols by 15
Thanks for the info. Interesting.
Like... Royals / Lions = Tigers / Plainsmen / War Eagle?
Potentially sells more shirts n' caps.

Put 'em all together and you'd have a heck of a football helmet decal!
1715036074787.png
But something very Washington, DC about this...
I think it's when you describe it aloud: "7 lion and 1 lyre."

I seem to recall some teams last year cancelling late midweek games because they had calculated that because of strength of schedule or something, it would hurt them in the stats even if they won. But someone will know better.

Ah yes, the popular, new craze going around, spreading like Jerry Lee Lewis with his piano on fire! Midweek games DON’T matter? Interesting, I’ll hang up and listen.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Ah yes, the popular, new craze going around, spreading like Jerry Lee Lewis with his piano on fire! Midweek games DON’T matter? Interesting, I’ll hang up and listen.
If my memory is correct, what happened was that some dirtbag programs (I think in our league, I think) cancelled last year because they were afraid those midweek games would count.

By the way @knoxvol52, the take of our great 66 here last night was that he expected that midweek games in the next two weeks will or might well count in the rankings. iirc. And subject to 66's correction, if I am having a memory failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52
If my memory is correct, what happened was that some dirtbag programs (I think in our league, I think) cancelled last year because they were afraid those midweek games would count.

By the way @knoxvol52, the take of our great 66 here was that he expected that midweek games in the next two weeks will or might well count in the rankings. iirc. And subject to 66's correction, if I am having a memory failure.
According who you ask.

I have no comment.

Don't recall us having ever done this? Don't think CTV would do that to the fans or the opponent

For some reason I actually paid attention to the timeline in the email I got from UT and noticed that they have In & Out at a weird time. It’s always 40 minutes before game time, and tomorrow it’s…11 minutes before? Straight from I&O into the anthem? I’m pretty similar to Zander in my “routines” (I’m a lefty 🤷🏻‍♀️), so I sincerely hope this is a misprint. 😆IMG_1853.jpeg

By the way @knoxvol52, the take of our great 66 here last night was that he expected that midweek games in the next two weeks will or might well count in the rankings. iirc. And subject to 66's correction, if I am having a memory failure.

My point as it pertains to last week/weekend, is that in that instant, because the two teams ahead of us had worse weekends, the Lipscomb game ended up not mattering, had we too lost our weekend series to UF we would have stayed or dropped based on that midweek game, maybe Clemson jumps up-above us in that scenario? We would not be 1 this week.

Does anyone want to see what happens if we lose to Queens and drop one or two versus VU?

Saying midweek games don’t matter is like saying injuries to significant players at this stage doesn’t matter.

VN Store

Back