The Official Tennessee @ Florida Series Thread (Fri. May 3rd Game 1 3PM EST, Game 2 after SECNET+) (Sat. May 4th 6:30PM EST SECNET+)

I can go back and watch it on ESPN+, it's just more fun to watch as it's going on and you don't know what's going to happen.
Oh I definitely like watching it live, but OP missed the game and I wanted to remind them that all is not lost.

Also, I love the tension of watching live sports, not knowing the outcome etc. This particular Vols team I believe become most dangerous after they've seen a pitcher twice, which translates to the 5th/6th inning because we're really good at hitting against opposing bullpens. Versus Florida, I think their coach Sully got all he could out of Jac Caglianone before taking him off the mound because he knew what he was up against with our pitching and hitting.

I couldn’t even remotely join the forum during the game. I knew the NegaVols would be running down the coaches, taking cheap shots at the players, and then scatter like rats once UT began winning. It’s sad but so unfortunately predictable…

As I come across nega vols over the years, I change a setting on their profile to ignore and can't even read what they post. It's one of my favorite features of this site tbh.

I think the 2022 team is the best I'll ever see, but like you said, time will tell. Very soon we'll be able to compare regular season stats between 2022 and 2024.
That 2022 team had an era over 1.0 point lower! This team could very well be better due to even better chemistry and resiliency. The 2022 team just blew up opponents, team after team. They didn't have to learn how to win the tough games, which is also to their credit. It just happened to cost them in those fateful Supers.

I’m sure the posts during game went crazy when Villeneuve pinch hit for Backus. My theory is CTV removed Backus from the game for his mental lapse by not backing up Amick’s wild throw to 1B. Similarly, Backus got removed earlier in the season for lobbing a ball in from RF and it allowed a runner to score. Backus has to take advantage of his opportunities, and can’t afford these mental lapses. I'm pulling for Backus but just explaining the likely reason for his early departure last night.

EDIT: The lob throw earlier in the season was Chapman—not Backus.

Last edited:
I’m sure the posts during game went crazy when Villeneuve pinch hit for Backus. My theory is CTV removed Backus from the game for his mental lapse by not backing up Amick’s wild throw to 1B. Similarly, Backus got removed earlier in the season for lobbing a ball in from RF and it allowed a runner to score. Backus has to take advantage of his opportunities, and can’t afford these mental lapses. I'm pulling for Backus but just explaining the likely reason for his early departure last night.
I think Chapman was removed earlier in the season for allowing a guy to score on a shallow pop up to right field , I agree the lack of urgency from Backus in that wild throw led to him being taken out

What about Burke’s mental lapse running through a stop sign the other night? That was just as bad, if not worse. Luckily we ended up pulling away and winning that game but that’s inexcusable. I don’t care who the player is. You are not above the team and that was a selfish act. I’m sure Tony has/will address it but man that would be infuriating to me if I were a coach.

Time will soon tell, but so far that team in 2022 was the best baseball team that I have ever seen Tennessee field.

I think the 2022 team is the best I'll ever see, but like you said, time will tell. Very soon we'll be able to compare regular season stats between 2022 and 2024.

That 2022 team had an era over 1.0 point lower! This team could very well be better due to even better chemistry and resiliency. The 2022 team just blew up opponents, team after team. They didn't have to learn how to win the tough games, which is also to their credit. It just happened to cost them in those fateful Supers.
This year’s offense has better numbers than the 2022 team. The pitching is what has separated these teams though. Pitching has really picked up over the Missouri and Florida series but prior to that it was not up to the standard that had been set. Now we have had some unfortunate circumstances with the Burns transfer and the Russell injury so I think if those things never happened and both those guys are on the staff healthy we would be having a completely different discussion. As it stands, that 2022 team was on another level due to the pitching dominance, but this year’s team has the edge offensively.

Reactions: Drewbydoo

VN Store

Back