The Official Tennessee Orange and White Game Thread, 4:05pm ET, SEC Network (ALT)

Why not? I don't think Richmond is coming in here with expectations of standing on the sidelines, and I don't think Butch and staff made Richmond such a priority in stealing him from Ole Miss right before signing day. Nobody expected Jashon to start last year as a true freshman on the O-line, and he wasn't nearly as high rated and sought after a Richmond. All Jashon did was go on and win Freshman All-American honors.

I'm not guaranteeing Richmond starts from day 1, but to scratch the notion it's a possibility is crazy. If memory serves me right, there was a VFL playing in the NFL that was at Neyland today that started at OT as a true freshman in James. Bottom line, if Richmond comes in and grasps the systems and competes hard during fall camp, I wouldn't doubt he wins the starting nod at LT. There's a reason many elite programs wanted this guy, and we're damn lucky he's a Vol.

Who will he start over? A freshman starting at OG is a lot easier than a freshman starting at OT or C. He has huge upside and is a great prospect for us, I'm really glad he's a Vol but he won't start at OT to start the season.

So what I took from the 4 minute highlight reel is that Hurd has bulked up and appears faster and Jennings can haul ass.

That's the circle of life drill? Not what I thought it was. We had what was called bull in the ring. A single guy surrounded by 5 guys. Each was given a number. Guy in the ring would break down and get ready. Coach would call out a number and that player would go after the bull. Then another number and the bull had to quickly rotate and be ready to meet the next challenger....and it never was #2! Usually the next guy was coming from your six or the side. As the drill progressed, the count sped up and eventually you'd have more than one challenger going after the bull at one time. Yeah the bull usually lost, but the challenge came from how he carried himself and how hard he'd fight and keep fighting. Still I like the drill. Man on man. Can't get more basic than that.

That version of that drill has been banned at a lot of schools, iirc.

"3rd Down for What" has got to go... Or at least be shortened. Hopefully it is leaving with the Adidas uniforms. It has become cringe worthy.

VN Store

Back