The Stop Being Negative Thread (merged)

Fair weather explicitly implies we’re experiencing fair weather. We’ve been in a perpetual torrential downpour with severe flooding for way too long. Where’s this fair weather you speak of? Give me some mediocre weather and I’ll be happy!

Was going to start an entirely new thread, but, ill post my sarcastic comment aiming to make fun of others...

I cant help but sit here and think that after the first game of the season, with new offense, 14 players of which have never played a down in CFB, new coach, youngest team in the SEC that it's time for a change. I've seen just about enough. Basically i'm unfairly comparing a brand new scheme, coaching staff, and new O (led by a greenhorn QB) who played it's first game against a ranked opponent, on the road, at night in feomt of a national audience to a fully tenured. washed up used car salesman who made his fortune sellung us a bill of good's, last team. IOW, we screwed.

The sky is blue, it's sunny and i'm wearing orange shades. y'all need to chill. Pruitt got this. Butch left us in bad shape.

Reactions: TrueVolsGBOInsider
The fair weather fans are gone man. They've been gone for a decade. The only ones left are the people motion sick from the train of incompetence we are on, and the ones that find pleasure in calling those people fair weather fans.
We aren’t on a train of incompetence. Get up to date.

Fair weather explicitly implies we’re experiencing fair weather. We’ve been in a perpetual torrential downpour with severe flooding for way too long. Where’s this fair weather you speak of? Give me some mediocre weather and I’ll be happy!

Good point. I should of done a better job conveying the point I was trying to get across.

Nobody’s ok with losing that game yesterday. Where I take offense is when folks get on here and bash the absolute sh$@ out of
these kids after one game. If you weren’t making bold declarations About the team or certain players in extremly negative ways then the post doesn’t apply to you. There are some things you just don’t say and some people crossed that line frequently yesterday and this morning and that’s the whole issue. These kids and coaches and their families are putting in a lot of working and making sacrifices that most of us never see or hear about. Just show a teaspoon of respect for them that is all I’m saying man. No need to degrade them in the manner some did.

I worked my ass off to keep a long family tradition of UT grads going. I went to school and graduated with a support network nowhere close to what those 'kids' get. To this day I keep pride in my alma mater and always do my best to reflect well on Tennessee in my work.

I will absolutely criticize these players, who are given all the tools and support in the world to excel, when they don't give effort. There was NO heart on at least half the team yesterday. The damned sign over the locker room door says 'I will give my all for Tennessee today' for a reason.

Reactions: MAUSERWERKE
They are not adults? You keep calling them kids

Just because they can buy tobacco doesn’t mean their adults. Now that’s just my opinion. We have some adults on our team, but the majority of them I would categorize as kids who still have to grow up some to mature into an adult.

I worked my ass off to keep a long family tradition of UT grads going. I went to school and graduated with a support network nowhere close to what those 'kids' get. To this day I keep pride in my alma mater and always do my best to reflect well on Tennessee in my work.

I will absolutely criticize these players, who are given all the tools and support in the world to excel, when they don't give effort. There was NO heart on at least half the team yesterday. The damned sign over the locker room door says 'I will give my all for Tennessee today' for a reason.

Criticize till your hearts content buddy, but there is such a thing as taking it to far. All I’m saying is ; In my ron burgundy voice- stay classy Vol nation.

True fan post too early in the season

People don't like to pay out the butt to watch your favorite team get their butt handed to them

Being upset with the level of play doesn't make a person any less of a fan. Fortunately, you don't get to choose whether people can be a fan or not

True fan post too early in the season

People don't like to pay out the butt to watch your favorite team get their butt handed to them

Being upset with the level of play doesn't make a person any less of a fan. Fortunately, you don't get to choose whether people can be a fan or not

You miss the entire point of the post, go back to your coffin cause it’s daytime, and then come back tonight and we can talk during your working hours.

Been Vol fan since 1977 so I am not a fair weather. I have enough college sports to know that a team can turn it around in a short time
I saw Saban take Ship as team and make them National Champs in 2 seasons
I saw Pearl take a Buzz team and get them to the #1 team in the country in a short period of time
This thing can turn around at anytime

I’m actually a little optimistic after the game. I saw a team that was more physical than they’ve been in years. The game wasn’t pretty but was worried following the delay the team would come out a little flat.

Offensively we saw some bright spots to build on. JG showed good toughness and kept his composure after getting smacked a few times early. Jordan ran the ball well and was finishing runs. The O-line needs to gain some cohesion and that will come with time. Would like to have seen the TEs involved a little more.

Defensively we had a rough day. A new scheme with a young secondary against a Heisman candidate QB and some solid receivers was a bad matchup for us from the onset. You either bring pressure and leave the young DBs on islands or leave more guys in coverage and give Grier time to throw. Was a pick your poison matchup. If anything for those young DBs I’d rather them learn it now and get the film on how to improve before they get to SEC play. I highly doubt they will see another passing attack that will have a QB making some of the throws Grier made yesterday. It’s not all doom and gloom because they can be coached showing what they did wrong against a veteran WVU that featured a great QB making throws that great QBs make. Those young DBs will be better for it. Consider it growing pains.

Florida game should be a better gauge of what our team is and how well we finish.

I’ve held my tongue since the ending of our game yesterday, but I can’t do that anymore after seeing what alot of people are saying this morning. Shame on all of you who are saying we are an FCs team and we have no talent and we suck. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU. We played the best passing attack in the nation and we started 3 freshman on defense. What did you all expect. IMO WVU has a legitimate shot at winning 10+ games this year, their passing attack and offensive line are extremly
Talented and they block well for Grier. Hell, will Grier makes NFL throws like it’s second nature to him. As far as the VOLS , I thought we lacked an identity in offense. I think T. Helton should of stuck with the I formation lead blocker runs, because it was workiin. But he didn’t and that made me scratch my head. My hope is that we use that a lot more go My forward because Tim Jordan is a game changer when he has a lead blocker in front of him. Offensive line was shaky but they got better as the game went on. I do think their much better than what they showed yesterday though. I think our wide receivers are gonna be ok this year, on 3rd downs they came up
Big for us and I think that’s a sign of good things to come. JG- I thought he played within the game plan, and he did it pretty well actually. He was extremly accurate and decisive, and he continues to show toughness after taking big hits. He took care of the football as well and that’s the biggest takeaway I got from his performance.

Defensive line- we’ve got to find players who can get to the qb, the guys were getting a push everytime almost but they had trouble getting off their blocks so that’s something they need to work on as well. Depth is another issue we need to iron out in the next two games before Florida game. My hope is that Harris, Emerson, and Gooden can make big strides the next few weeks cause we’re gonna need them to win in the sec. overall- Out defensive line just needs to find the nastiness inside of themselves and coach needs to find a way to get that to show on the field.

Linebackers- I thought our LB’s did some good things but they were a step late on several plays as well. As for Taylor and Kongbo, they have to get involved in the game or just let J. Allen and Peterson try their hand at it, because our OLb’s were pitiful yesterday. If Peterson can play then I think we see him early this year, Pruitt needs a spark in the pass rushing game, hopefully Peterson can be that guy. DK jr played pretty well but his rust did show at times but that is understandable. I feel good about DK, DB, and QS though going forward. My hope is that they can start to be leaders on the defense because we need an alpha dog to step up and lead our defense.

Secondary- honestly, this is probably a bad game to judge our DB’s on, at least out
Young guys. I wasn’t pleased with Buchanan in the least bit though, he needs to be better. As a whole, our secondary needs to work on tackling. We have to be able to tackle in space if we’re gonna be a decent team this year. Flowers, Taylor, and Thompson haven’t figured out how to get their head around on passes yet so that’s something they need to work on, I think they did a good job of staying in position on d but they need to learn how to use their hands to keep guys from creating separation against them. Overall- I think week in and week out these young cbs get better. Come Florida game we should see a massive difference in the secondary.

Overall- Stop throwing in the towel fans. This team deserves our support. To all of you who are mad and saying negative things -stfu, your not a player so you have no idea how bad these young men want to win, and your not the one putting in work day in and day out for 9 months straight so dont bash these young men. WVU is a good team and they honestly could win 10 or 11 games this year if Grier stays healthy. If marquis Osborne doesn’t have a stupid offsides penalty then this game could of possible been 33-21 or 33-17 depending on if we get a score after that missed field goal. If that game ends 33-21 then the narrative is complete different. And for all of you who say this team is no better than last year, you are a fool and you know nothing about football. This team is better in 100 different ways from last years team, it’s one game and we have 11 more to go. When adversity hits you see the true content of someone’s character, a large amount of you on here who talk bad about UT are weenies who Lack character. Grow up and realize rome wasn’t built in a day. The VOLS will be fine, and for all you fair weather fans. Don’t let the door hit you on your way out cause we don’t need you as fans.

I didn't take the time to read your rant. All I can say is that if they are still a vols fan after the last decade than they are not a fair weather fan. I completely understand some people's optimism but also the negative comments. I am also tired of losing. Only stat that matters.

I’ve held my tongue since the ending of our game yesterday, but I can’t do that anymore after seeing what alot of people are saying this morning. Shame on all of you who are saying we are an FCs team and we have no talent and we suck. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU. We played the best passing attack in the nation and we started 3 freshman on defense. What did you all expect. IMO WVU has a legitimate shot at winning 10+ games this year, their passing attack and offensive line are extremly
Talented and they block well for Grier. Hell, will Grier makes NFL throws like it’s second nature to him. As far as the VOLS , I thought we lacked an identity in offense. I think T. Helton should of stuck with the I formation lead blocker runs, because it was workiin. But he didn’t and that made me scratch my head. My hope is that we use that a lot more go My forward because Tim Jordan is a game changer when he has a lead blocker in front of him. Offensive line was shaky but they got better as the game went on. I do think their much better than what they showed yesterday though. I think our wide receivers are gonna be ok this year, on 3rd downs they came up
Big for us and I think that’s a sign of good things to come. JG- I thought he played within the game plan, and he did it pretty well actually. He was extremly accurate and decisive, and he continues to show toughness after taking big hits. He took care of the football as well and that’s the biggest takeaway I got from his performance.

Defensive line- we’ve got to find players who can get to the qb, the guys were getting a push everytime almost but they had trouble getting off their blocks so that’s something they need to work on as well. Depth is another issue we need to iron out in the next two games before Florida game. My hope is that Harris, Emerson, and Gooden can make big strides the next few weeks cause we’re gonna need them to win in the sec. overall- Out defensive line just needs to find the nastiness inside of themselves and coach needs to find a way to get that to show on the field.

Linebackers- I thought our LB’s did some good things but they were a step late on several plays as well. As for Taylor and Kongbo, they have to get involved in the game or just let J. Allen and Peterson try their hand at it, because our OLb’s were pitiful yesterday. If Peterson can play then I think we see him early this year, Pruitt needs a spark in the pass rushing game, hopefully Peterson can be that guy. DK jr played pretty well but his rust did show at times but that is understandable. I feel good about DK, DB, and QS though going forward. My hope is that they can start to be leaders on the defense because we need an alpha dog to step up and lead our defense.

Secondary- honestly, this is probably a bad game to judge our DB’s on, at least out
Young guys. I wasn’t pleased with Buchanan in the least bit though, he needs to be better. As a whole, our secondary needs to work on tackling. We have to be able to tackle in space if we’re gonna be a decent team this year. Flowers, Taylor, and Thompson haven’t figured out how to get their head around on passes yet so that’s something they need to work on, I think they did a good job of staying in position on d but they need to learn how to use their hands to keep guys from creating separation against them. Overall- I think week in and week out these young cbs get better. Come Florida game we should see a massive difference in the secondary.

Overall- Stop throwing in the towel fans. This team deserves our support. To all of you who are mad and saying negative things -stfu, your not a player so you have no idea how bad these young men want to win, and your not the one putting in work day in and day out for 9 months straight so dont bash these young men. WVU is a good team and they honestly could win 10 or 11 games this year if Grier stays healthy. If marquis Osborne doesn’t have a stupid offsides penalty then this game could of possible been 33-21 or 33-17 depending on if we get a score after that missed field goal. If that game ends 33-21 then the narrative is complete different. And for all of you who say this team is no better than last year, you are a fool and you know nothing about football. This team is better in 100 different ways from last years team, it’s one game and we have 11 more to go. When adversity hits you see the true content of someone’s character, a large amount of you on here who talk bad about UT are weenies who Lack character. Grow up and realize rome wasn’t built in a day. The VOLS will be fine, and for all you fair weather fans. Don’t let the door hit you on your way out cause we don’t need you as fans.

Just let you know what you already probably know but some folks aren't interested in level headed unemotional responses to the game yesterday. I consider myself a student of the game (probably more than I should be because its usually lost time) and I've been fortunate to spend quality time around people who have played and coached at the highest level which helps my approach to the game. ANYBODY who set themselves up thinking somehow we were going to come out and steam roll arguable the best QB in the country and receivers to go with it and time to throw and our offense still trying to find its identity and a playmaker or two etc etc etc deserves all the pain they are getting this morning...As the late, one of the greatest of all time, Reggie White said..."I NEVER CRY OVER A BALLGAME...EVER"...So be kind to your family this morning, cheer up... your life didn't depend on the outcome of the game (if it did then you've got tons of problems) and lets show just a speck, just a smidgen of maturity and see if this team can improve...my bet is they will ….SIGH SIGH SIGH SMH

See...here is the problem. Tim Jordan is not a "game changer". Jamal Lewis was a game changer. Travis Henry, Chuck Webb, Charlie Garner are game changers. At the end of the day we are undermanned (as difficult as that is for me to admit...I hate it). Tim Jordan is a very serviceable back but he is not a game changer. This is what happens when you've been fed a steady diet of sub-par SEC athletes over the years. Tim Jordan can be a good back for us, but he's not starting at most schools around the conference. We need Jimmy's and Joe's who can ball. We are slower than I thought going in to last night's game. Now, can we coach enough to hide some deficiencies? Yes. Can we win some games? Yes. Can we make a bowl? Yes. But those guys who used to play here who were real game changers are not playing here anymore and having a handful of them would have made last night a very different game. Go Vols.

We aren’t on a train of incompetence. Get up to date.
Why, because in the span of three hours all of Volnation waved a magic wand and changed "Didn't develop talent" into "We don't have talent"?

We played 3D chess against a ****** defense that barely knew how to play checkers, and then our DB coach pretending to be HC gave up 450 passing yards and 5 touchdowns.

But yeah. Keep telling yourself we are on the right track. As usual with UT fans, if you are perpetually failing, just keep moving the target until 5 wins feels like a great success. A few more losses and it will come out our players can't even tie their own shoes. But Pruitt will coach them up!

I'll try not to mention the misspelling of you're in the thread title.

Last edited:
Sometimes players for other teams will have more talent and/or experience than our guys. That’s fact. Maybe WV is for real. I think their strengths took advantage of our areas needing improvement.

It’s too early to blast our players about effort. WV hit us for some big plays early but we fought back.

I agree with the OP, IF there are any fair weather fans left, we have no use. I also agree that there aren’t any left due to already leaving.

If you are a Vol fan and feel a need to bad mouth the players for what ever reason then by all means proceed. All I ask is don’t be surprised when you get bashed by others. It’s really a bad look to bash the players. I’m sure many don’t care how bad they look. Why would they on an anonymous message board?

We all saw what happened yesterday and wanted better results. We got two warm up games to work some stuff out getting ready for Florida. As a team we need them to improve each week as players and coaches coming up with game plans.

I plan on watching and going to as many games as I can.

VN Store

Back