Theory For Recruiting Problems

It wasnt letting go fulmer. It wasnt the Dooley hire. Very often elite or upcoming coaches dont want to replace a legend with a ring. It was the kiffin disaster that haunts Tennessee like the headless horseman. Regardless of who Tennessee hire then, that coach needed to have Tennessee a top 8 team year in and out to keep Tennessee football going.
Fulmer's time had passed. Go look up his record vs saban, Meyer and rhict and you will see why he got canned. He wasnt just losing, he was often being blown out in those games.
By this point fulmer had proven he could do less with more and these 3 coaches were beating him.
I was always worried tennesse would lose to an okay team at some point every year they were pretty good because they usually did.
His style of football with good defenses and a good running game still worked although it needed an update. his bulldog coaching style had to create a not fun work environment for everyone from school to coaches to players to even media and those 3 3 or 4 things are what did him in. Just like spurrier at florida or jumbo at florida state, most coaches hit a wall at schools and it's time to move on.

Hoping saban walks away soon.

Wrong.

That was because we were trying to install a new offense with the wrong personnel. Everyone knows that. You can’t turn a ship around overnight.

That said we beat Georgia and Alabama his second to last year and lost to Florida by 1 point. We also beat 10th ranked Georgia his last year. His time had hardly run out.
I dont know where you get your info but fulmer never beat saban at bama. He lost in 2007 41-17, 2008 29-9. . Fulmer lost to the gators his last 2 games 59-20 and 30-6. Last 2 games vs Georgia he lost 35-14 and 26-14.

It happens. Look at spurrier and the mad hatter at lsu. They created elite programs but then they faded. It was time for them to go. Florida and lsu then hired a coach, I'm in the 2nd try for the gators, that brought that elite back. Meyer then also created an elite program before it to faded and it was time for him to go. The same cycle hit fulmer. The interesting part its that nobody really seem to interested with hiring him. All the other coaches I listed went on to coach sonewhere else.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I dont know where you get your info but fulmer never beat saban at bama. He lost in 2007 41-17, 2008 29-9. . Fulmer lost to the gators his last 2 games 59-20 and 30-6. Last 2 games vs Georgia he lost 35-14 and 26-14.
And the last coaches did any better???

And the last coaches did any better???
That is two separate issues. Fulmer needing to go and finding a replacement that didn't suck or leave the team at the altar is 2 different things.
Oh and fulmer was feeling the heat from not only going 26-20 in his last 4 years but also his last year he had 8 players arrested or disciplined by the school in 2007-8. 13 points against northern Illinois at home.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
User error. I misread.

VN Store

Back