Thoughts on the first two games

NighthawkVol

I was going to post in the game thread, but that thread is so chock full of drive-by posters who have no clue about college baseball ("this team is awful!", "we ain't gon' have uh winnin' recurd!", "why ain Vitello got them boys ready?!"), I really didn't want to invite their comments.

Just a few observations:

-I'm surprised we haven't seen Kavares Tears yet. Hopefully, he gets a chance to play today, perhaps in the DH role. Does anyone know how good he is defensively at 1B? I know he plays OF and 1B, but haven't heard his defensive reputation. It occurs to me that if he is solid as a defensive 1B, maybe Burke should DH with Tears at 1B....or at least try it.

-I know this is the part of the season to try on different hats for different guys. But I think it's pretty obvious that Dickey is not a RF and certainly not a CF. I was surprised that he was being pegged there and his play has validated my concern. He can't cover enough ground to play CF and really doesn't have the arm or glove to play RF. You put your worst defensive OF in LF and that's where he should be. Further, you have a guy with all kinds of speed and a great arm in Booker. Why is he in LF? There's your CF. I really wish Dickey was a good defensive Catcher. That would plug a hole in the lineup and get a better OF in the lineup...someone like Drieling, perhaps.

-Will there be a Colby Backus sighting today?

-Burns' pickoff move has improved. I thought he got a guy last night, but he was called safe. His biggest thing is consistency. He'll make 8 incredible pitches in a row, then throw a couple of fastballs that are completely flat or a slider that doesn't slide...and it leads to a rough inning. When he has good stuff (which is usually), he somehow manages to hit a patch where his stuff leaves him for a bit before returning. Maybe he's overthrowing. Not sure.

-I'd like to see Stark get a full game behind the plate. He gives us a big bat at Catcher. I wanna see how solid he is behind the plate for a full game.

-The pitching hasn't been bad. Lindsey struggled some, but TV let him work through it and he did. That's experience that will pay off down the road. I expect both Dollander and Burns will be more dominant as the season goes on, but they're easing in. Kirby has looked really good both days. I heard his mama coached him well. :p Halvorsen getting extended work Friday was a great sign.

-It's obvious that we're experiencing growing pains from breaking in an entirely new lineup. They look uncomfortable right now. Out of sync. Mental errors come along with that and we've seen those in all areas of the game. But these two games aren't all that important in the grand scheme. This part of the season is about getting things figured out, from a coaching standpoint and from individual players' standpoint. They will. They're talented. They might even win some games this year.

-Logan Chambers is getting some good swings on the ball. He'll be a productive hitter this year, I think. Just looks more confident at the plate and better in his approach than last year.

-Jake Kendro getting an at-bat Friday surprised me. Maybe he'll be a top infield reserve. Backup 3B maybe? Or is that Payne? Regardless, I haven't heard much chatter about him, but love seeing freshmen get a chance early because that means he's done something to impress.

-Today, I'm looking forward to seeing Merritt, Tears, Sewell, Evans, Beam. I'd also like to see what this Bimbi talk is all about.

I was going to post in the game thread, but that thread is so chock full of drive-by posters who have no clue about college baseball ("this team is awful!", "we ain't gon' have uh winnin' recurd!", "why ain Vitello got them boys ready?!"), I really didn't want to invite their comments.

Just a few observations:

-I'm surprised we haven't seen Kavares Tears yet. Hopefully, he gets a chance to play today, perhaps in the DH role. Does anyone know how good he is defensively at 1B? I know he plays OF and 1B, but haven't heard his defensive reputation. It occurs to me that if he is solid as a defensive 1B, maybe Burke should DH with Tears at 1B....or at least try it.

-I know this is the part of the season to try on different hats for different guys. But I think it's pretty obvious that Dickey is not a RF and certainly not a CF. I was surprised that he was being pegged there and his play has validated my concern. He can't cover enough ground to play CF and really doesn't have the arm or glove to play RF. You put your worst defensive OF in LF and that's where he should be. Further, you have a guy with all kinds of speed and a great arm in Booker. Why is he in LF? There's your CF. I really wish Dickey was a good defensive Catcher. That would plug a hole in the lineup and get a better OF in the lineup...someone like Drieling, perhaps.

-Burns' pickoff move has improved. I thought he got a guy last night, but he was called safe. His biggest thing is consistency. He'll make 8 incredible pitches in a row, then throw a couple of fastballs that are completely flat or a slider that doesn't slide...and it leads to a rough inning. When he has good stuff (which is usually), he somehow manages to hit a patch where his stuff leaves him for a bit before returning. Maybe he's overthrowing. Not sure.

-I'd like to see Stark get a full game behind the plate. He gives us a big bat at Catcher. I wanna see how solid he is behind the plate for a full game.

-The pitching hasn't been bad. Lindsey struggled some, but TV let him work through it and he did. That's experience that will pay off down the road. I expect both Dollander and Burns will be more dominant as the season goes on, but they're easing in. Kirby has looked really good both days. I heard his mama coached him well. :p Halvorsen getting extended work Friday was a great sign.

-It's obvious that we're experiencing growing pains from breaking in an entirely new lineup. They look uncomfortable right now. Out of sync. Mental errors come along with that and we've seen those in all areas of the game. But these two games aren't all that important in the grand scheme. This part of the season is about getting things figured out, from a coaching standpoint and from individual players' standpoint. They will. They're talented. They might even win some games this year.

-Logan Chambers is getting some good swings on the ball. He'll be a productive hitter this year, I think. Just looks more confident at the plate and better in his approach than last year.

-Jake Kendro getting an at-bat Friday surprised me. Maybe he'll be a top infield reserve. Backup 3B maybe? Or is that Payne? Regardless, I haven't heard much chatter about him, but love seeing freshmen get a chance early because that means he's done something to impress.

-Today, I'm looking forward to seeing Merritt, Tears, Sewell, Evans, Beam. I'd also like to see what this Bimbi talk is all about.
Great analysis, and I share most if not all of your thoughts.

We've got to get the defense sorted. Last year's loss to ND was in part due to the fact they were flawless defensively are we weren't.

I'd like to see what Tears offers defensively at 1B, too. I'm concerned about our defensive presence at that position.

I too think Dickey really needs to play LF. Really wish he could catch, but I guess that's not going to happen.

On Backus...no, he didn't make the travel roster for some reason.

Last edited:
I’m not overly concerned, but I am slightly concerned. I think it’s pretty clear that our pitching will be fine. Rust is expected for Burns and Dollander and their “rust” still led to no more than 2 ER each. That’s a perfectly fine outing. In fact it’s a solid outing.

I think right now this team is mostly just suffering from an identity crisis. Teams are chirping at us and circling their game with us and acting like we’re their World Series after how last year went…except we’re not that team. It’s pretty much an entirely different team. These guys will need to learn to adjust, but ultimately they just need to figure out who THEY are.

I’m interested to see what this team looks like with Ahuna and Merritt back. I don’t think two players will completely change the offense, other guys still need to step up. Top of the order and our infield will figure things out, but as expected it’s kind of a mess in the outfield right now. I would like to see Dreiling get a start today. Booker also needs to flash something.

I’m not overly concerned, but I am slightly concerned. I think it’s pretty clear that our pitching will be fine. Rust is expected for Burns and Dollander and their “rust” still led to no more than 2 ER each. That’s a perfectly fine outing. In fact it’s a solid outing.

I think right now this team is mostly just suffering from an identity crisis. Teams are chirping at us and circling their game with us and acting like we’re their World Series after how last year went…except we’re not that team. It’s pretty much an entirely different team. These guys will need to learn to adjust, but ultimately they just need to figure out who THEY are.

I’m interested to see what this team looks like with Ahuna and Merritt back. I don’t think two players will completely change the offense, other guys still need to step up. Top of the order and our infield will figure things out, but as expected it’s kind of a mess in the outfield right now. I would like to see Dreiling get a start today. Booker also needs to flash something.
On another note, while Dickey is a great hitter, he isn't very patient at the plate. Seems like he usually swings at either or both the first two pitches.

I'd like to see our leadoff hitter work the count a little, like leadoff hitters are supposed to do.

Taking a BB isn't a bad thing.

On another note, while Dickey is a great hitter, he isn't very patient at the plate. Seems like he usually swings at either or both the first two pitches.

I'd like to see our leadoff hitter work the count a little, like leadoff hitters are supposed to do.

That’s because he’s getting fastballs the first pitch. That’s his style, he stated that in an interview. Will Ahuna be lead off, maybe.

The good thing about the team hitting is there hasn’t been a lot of strikeouts. There’s a few positions up for grabs. I think you’ll see Stark be the everyday catcher. I think RF is an open spot as Dickey will go to LF.

The role of the lead-off hitter has changed some. A lot of teams put their best hitter there to get them more AB’s and don’t worry about working counts as much. They just want to max out plate appearances.

Just a few observations:

Excellent comments, thanks for posting! I worry that this team will struggle a bit with handling the shadow of what last year’s team accomplished and the expectations for what is essentially an entirely new group of guys. Tough way to start the season in this tournament, but we’ll work through it.

I’m confused on the Dickey not catching piece simply from the fact that in every preseason interview CTV has done, he’s said how hard he’s worked at that spot to not only turn himself into a serviceable every day catcher in this league but positioned himself as a big leaguer behind the plate. That’s some massive talk to then roll him out in CF on day 1. My personal opinion is, the pitching is good enough that you can sacrifice some defense at catcher for offense, ala Russell last year. I appreciate Chuck and his work ethic and sticking around but if his bat doesn’t improve, we can’t play 8 on 9 all season at the plate. He’s shown some signs so far and as others have said looks more confident, at minimum, but we’ll see if he continues to progress.

It’s early but I’m not sure I trust BB defensively at 1B. I remember watching some of his perfect game fielding highlights before he arrived and saying to myself I hope this kid can hit (which obviously he’s proven he can). I feel like the throws are going to have to be on point to him and he’s not gonna bail guys out like we got used to Luc doing.

Excellent comments, thanks for posting! I worry that this team will struggle a bit with handling the shadow of what last year’s team accomplished and the expectations for what is essentially an entirely new group of guys. Tough way to start the season in this tournament, but we’ll work through it.

Let’s see if we can take care of business against the lesser opponents coming up.

I will post in here but can't do the other one. I want to scream just reading it.
Just some answers:
I don't think Backus travelled. I heard a mutual friend with parents say on Facebook that he was not there. I have not asked Kirby.

Burns always had a good move to first but did not change his pitch motion. One particular person says I have said they don't throw over but that is not what I said. They don't change their pitching motion with runners on base. FA is fine with throwing over but don't change your pitching motion.

I've never heard much talk about KT's ability to play first. He lacks speed for OF but has a crazy good arm. I think we will see Merritt in the OF somewhere today and maybe Dreiling. Dreiling has a great bat and great speed but lacks strong arm. I think he will get a shot in OF in midweek if not today.

Charlie has become a great defensive catcher and has a great arm. Hopefully the bat comes around. I do not know enough about Cal's ability to play catcher to comment. Plus you also know that the pitchers love Charlie because he was the bullpen catcher last year and stepped up at the end. I don't think Jared became the catcher they needed him to be even with the hard work. I'm guessing they are trying to find a place to get his bat in the lineup.

Everybody is talking about how bad Lindsey pitched but remember he had no earned runs and should have gotten out of it with none except for errors or misplayed balls.

I kept telling ya'll there were some that were being talked about that people were thinking they would see that they would not because of various reasons and I still will not elaborate.

My take away after 2 games. I never expected this to be last year's team. Too many new fielders and hitters. None got enough at bats to know what they would do. Talent does not always equal results. I think our pitching will keep us in games but we will not be able to make errors and have to score a few runs. We have a 2.00 era after 2 games which equates to 2 earned runs per game and you should win if you are giving up 2 runs per game. I'm guessing we are top 10 in the nation with that era right now. Ultimately, you can't judge good or bad after 2 games or even after 2 weeks. I'm reminded that the teams that win the Natty are never the best in the nation but the ones who get hot at the right time. All of this does not matter until SEC play. Maybe it will drive some of the drivebys and the ones who are just coming over from basketball or football. I'm on Tennessee Basevols on Facebook and people who claim to be UT fans are trashing the players and coaches as on here. I don't understand how you can claim to be a fan and trash the players and coaches. I know some of you will not say you are trashing just your opinions but when all you say is critical then that is trashing. When you are calling out individual players or coaches you are trashing. JMO

I’m confused on the Dickey not catching piece simply from the fact that in every preseason interview CTV has done, he’s said how hard he’s worked at that spot to not only turn himself into a serviceable every day catcher in this league but positioned himself as a big leaguer behind the plate. That’s some massive talk to then roll him out in CF on day 1. My personal opinion is, the pitching is good enough that you can sacrifice some defense at catcher for offense, ala Russell last year. I appreciate Chuck and his work ethic and sticking around but if his bat doesn’t improve, we can’t play 8 on 9 all season at the plate. He’s shown some signs so far and as others have said looks more confident at minimum but it remains to be seen.

It’s early but I’m not sure I trust BB defensively at 1B. I remember watching some of his perfect game fielding highlights before he arrived and saying to myself I hope this kid can hit (which obviously he’s proven he can). I feel like the throws are going to have to be on point to him and he’s not gonna bail guys out like we got used to Luc doing.

If those 2 hit like they’re capable of, I think it can change the offense from a pressure relief standpoint. May keep some of the guys in the lineup right now from pressing and feeling like they have to get a hit or the hit. I’m harping on Booker all weekend but going back to last year, every swing looks like he’s trying to launch one to outer space; just get the bat on the ball and let his speed go to work. We don’t need 5+ HR’s from him. Gilbert really changed his approach last year and the HR’s were down the fist half of the season but a .380 hitter with less HR’s is better for long term success than a .270 hitter with more HR’s. Booker needs to approach it similarly.

I’m confused on the Dickey not catching piece simply from the fact that in every preseason interview CTV has done, he’s said how hard he’s worked at that spot to not only turn himself into a serviceable every day catcher in this league but positioned himself as a big leaguer behind the plate. That’s some massive talk to then roll him out in CF on day 1. My personal opinion is, the pitching is good enough that you can sacrifice some defense at catcher for offense, ala Russell last year. I appreciate Chuck and his work ethic and sticking around but if his bat doesn’t improve, we can’t play 8 on 9 all season at the plate. He’s shown some signs so far and as others have said looks more confident at minimum but it remains to be seen.

If those 2 hit like they’re capable of, I think it can change the offense from a pressure relief standpoint. May keep some of the guys in the lineup right now from pressing and feeling like they have to get a hit or the hit. I’m harping on Booker all weekend but going back to last year, every swing looks like he’s trying to launch one to outer space; just get the bat on the ball and let his speed go to work. We don’t need 5+ HR’s from him. Gilbert really changed his approach last year and the HR’s were down the fist half of the season but a .380 hitter with less HR’s is better for long term success than a .270 hitter with more HR’s. Booker needs to approach it similarly.

I don’t think Dickey can stay healthy to catch. I’m not sure who the back up first baseman would be. Agree with Booker, just needs to put the ball in play.

I will post in here but can't do the other one. I want to scream just reading it.
Just some answers:
I don't think Backus travelled. I heard a mutual friend with parents say on Facebook that he was not there. I have not asked Kirby.

Burns always had a good move to first but did not change his pitch motion. One particular person says I have said they don't throw over but that is not what I said. They don't change their pitching motion with runners on base. FA is fine with throwing over but don't change your pitching motion.

I've never heard much talk about KT's ability to play first. He lacks speed for OF but has a crazy good arm. I think we will see Merritt in the OF somewhere today and maybe Dreiling. Dreiling has a great bat and great speed but lacks strong arm. I think he will get a shot in OF in midweek if not today.

Charlie has become a great defensive catcher and has a great arm. Hopefully the bat comes around. I do not know enough about Cal's ability to play catcher to comment. Plus you also know that the pitchers love Charlie because he was the bullpen catcher last year and stepped up at the end. I don't think Jared became the catcher they needed him to be even with the hard work. I'm guessing they are trying to find a place to get his bat in the lineup.

Everybody is talking about how bad Lindsey pitched but remember he had no earned runs and should have gotten out of it with none except for errors or misplayed balls.

I kept telling ya'll there were some that were being talked about that people were thinking they would see that they would not because of various reasons and I still will not elaborate.

My take away after 2 games. I never expected this to be last year's team. Too many new fielders and hitters. None got enough at bats to know what they would do. Talent does not always equal results. I think our pitching will keep us in games but we will not be able to make errors and have to score a few runs. We have a 2.00 era after 2 games which equates to 2 earned runs per game and you should win if you are giving up 2 runs per game. I'm guessing we are top 10 in the nation with that era right now. Ultimately, you can't judge good or bad after 2 games or even after 2 weeks. I'm reminded that the teams that win the Natty are never the best in the nation but the ones who get hot at the right time. All of this does not matter until SEC play. Maybe it will drive some of the drivebys and the ones who are just coming over from basketball or football. I'm on Tennessee Basevols on Facebook and people who claim to be UT fans are trashing the players and coaches as on here. I don't understand how you can claim to be a fan and trash the players and coaches. I know some of you will not say you are trashing just your opinions but when all you say is critical then that is trashing. When you are calling out individual players or coaches you are trashing. JMO

Thank you for your take on things, I agree with ya on about everything. As for the last part, I assure you, we’re working on it. As always, I appreciate your graciousness.

Just some answers:

Calling out players is ridiculous and shows low character and a lack of class. There’s just no reason for it yet some so called “fans” don’t seem to be able to help themselves. They do make it quite obvious that they don’t know baseball. To NEW fans, not knowing the intricacies of baseball is fine, just refrain from disparaging players and folks will be happy to help and answer questions.

Regarding this team, there are no veterans (ie experienced position players) except for the transfers (Denton, Merritt, and Ahuna). None of the other position players have a full season of playing experience. That’s why it’s going to take 6 weeks or more to figure out the right lineup. When all 9 hitters are new or entering as first time season starters, there will be early season struggles. These early season struggles will serve them well in late May and early June. Ideally, it would have been great to play a couple of weeks of non conference games before this AZ tournament.

Just some answers:

@preacherman20 on the JD at catcher piece, where did CTV’s talk about transforming himself into a formidable catcher come from? Is that just coach speak? He’s talked him up massively in that spot leading up to this weekend but obviously it hasn’t come to fruition in the first 2 games.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
@preacherman20 thanks for the analysis and perspective you bring. I really do not know how you do it, I would not be able to interact with fans if my son played. One of the reasons baseball has been fun is the smaller following/community etc. Go over to the basketball forum and see how the fans rip Rick Barnes, it is exhausting. A vocal minority of our (and any SEC team's) fans are idiots. Anyway we appreciate your analysis and inside glimpse at things.

My take on this weekend - yeah nobody wants to start 0-2, but good grief just look at our pitching staff and stop worrying and enjoy what we got.

Last edited:
@preacherman20 thanks for the analysis and perspective you bring. I really do not know how you do it, I would not be able to interact with fans if my son played. One of the reasons baseball has been fun is the smaller following/community etc. Go over to the basketball forum and see how the fans rip Rick Barnes, it is exhausting. A vocal minority of our (and any SEC team's) fans are idiots. Anyway we appreciate your analysis and inside glimpse at things.

Yeah nobody wants to start 0-2, but good grief just look at our pitching staff and stop worrying and enjoy what we got.
100% correct.
I feel so fortunate having @preacherman20 ’s perspective. He needs to be protected at all costs.

Thanks guys. I love the off-season and normal weekday talk on here. The game stuff is exhausting. I’ve kept myself from going on here during games. I do sometimes go back and read afterwards to see what people had to say and it is so frustrating. There are some aspects of coaches philosophies that you either agree with or disagree with, but I can promise they are not going to change whether that is Coach Vitello‘s philosophy of very little to no small ball which keeps TXBO happy or Anderson’s don’t change your pitching motion. I have learned that I will not always agree with the coaches philosophy. My oldest son, coaches, varsity basketball and middle son coaches, college softball and we do not agree on different aspects of the game, but that is the fun part of it. I tell my older son, all the time don’t ask my opinion on certain things because you know it will not line up with yours.

I want to win the last series of the year….not so much worried about the first series.
‘This team looks to have the talent to do just that.

The competition this weekend is much better than the casual baseball fan realizes. Glad we are challenging ourselves.

VN Store

Back