tiger High, stuck with Pastner, looking at AD

Cal actually understood the benefit of playing Tennessee and Ole Miss, though, and he wasn't scared of losing recruits. Cal also didn't recruit a lot of the Memphis kids, only a select few.

Explain this then...

"After starting on a sour note, the rivalry grew more intense as Calipari and Pearl traded jabs, Cal reportedly upset Pearl was recruiting on his turf in Memphis while*Pearl felt Calipari didn’t respect Tennessee’s program."

"Pearl wanted*to show Memphis that Tennessee is a*nationally relevant program after*Calipari complained*that because the game wasn’t on national TV, future games with Tennessee*didn’t need to be on Memphis’ schedule."

"He was trying to take over the state, and I wasn’t going to let him,’’*Calipari said. “I conceded the rest of the state other than Memphis.*I’m not recruiting Knoxville, you’re recruiting Memphis; that’s why I didn’t want to play him in a home-and-home. What good does it do for me to go to Knoxville, other than to play in front of 22,000 people in Orange? …I can’t stand the color.”

Cal wanted to end the series back when he was the UM coach, and it was over recruiting territory and the significance he saw in the rivalry.

Last edited:
Cal actually understood the benefit of playing Tennessee and Ole Miss, though, and he wasn't scared of losing recruits. Cal also didn't recruit a lot of the Memphis kids, only a select few.

If Cal had to play UT, he only wanted to play it at a neutral site. He didn't want to play a home and home.

Yes, I believe it was USCw that was also pursuing him. Truth is, he should have never made to that extension as one poster said above. There were many teams in the country that could have gone undefeated in the old conference usa, but the inflated regular season record glosses over the fact that he got bounced in the round of 32, with really good talent. Some people say that the talent turned out to be a bust, but that is either because Paster can't evaluate or he can't develop. So its still on him.

I am not suggesting that Pastner is a good coach, but you are not being impartial if you think a coach who goes 31-5 with a top 5 recruiting class doesn't deserve an extension. That would be done at every school. An extension was fine. The only issue was the no buyout or offset as part of the extension.

I still laugh at the Memphis fans thinking we were wanting Pastner in our coaching search

Reactions: 1 person
If Cal had to play UT, he only wanted to play it at a neutral site. He didn't want to play a home and home.

It was funny too. He wanted to play the game in Nashville. That game would have been anything but neutral.

I am not suggesting that Pastner is a good coach, but you are not being impartial if you think a coach who goes 31-5 with a top 5 recruiting class doesn't deserve an extension. That would be done at every school. An extension was fine. The only issue was the no buyout or offset as part of the extension.

It was fools gold. Just like the miracle run by Cuonzo to the sweet 16. Difference is that Memphis is locked into Pastner for $10 million and UT got a million bucks for Cuonzo to coach elsewhere because our AD didn't bend over for an agent wanting a raise and extension for his client.

Facts are Memphis DOES need a UT, Ark or to a lesser degree an Ole Miss to help sell season tickets. Their attendance has fallen off significantly because:
1) their team has fallen off and
2) Houston, UConn, SMU etc don't excite the Memphians like a big game with local rivals. I realize those teams would probably smoke Tennessee right now but they don't raise the fan interest meter in the River City...

Its a shame that egos in college sports results in stupid things. Memphis needs a regular game in football and basketball vs Tennessee. Tennessee needs it. Still the highest rated regular season game on ESPN, I believe, is Memphis vs Tennessee of 06.....I think both programs, right now need that swag again....badly

As far as Memphis final fours, how many were played with either ineligible players or resulted in sanctions? I believe all three. Maybe not the first (although I though Kenon got them in trouble) but I know the Keith Lee team and Derrick Rose teams were dirty.

Facts are Memphis DOES need a UT, Ark or to a lesser degree an Ole Miss to help sell season tickets. Their attendance has fallen off significantly because:
1) their team has fallen off and
2) Houston, UConn, SMU etc don't excite the Memphians like a big game with local rivals. I realize those teams would probably smoke Tennessee right now but they don't raise the fan interest meter in the River City...

Its a shame that egos in college sports results in stupid things. Memphis needs a regular game in football and basketball vs Tennessee. Tennessee needs it. Still the highest rated regular season game on ESPN, I believe, is Memphis vs Tennessee of 06.....I think both programs, right now need that swag again....badly

As far as Memphis final fours, how many were played with either ineligible players or resulted in sanctions? I believe all three. Maybe not the first (although I though Kenon got them in trouble) but I know the Keith Lee team and Derrick Rose teams were dirty.

That 73 Memphis Team led by Finch, Kenon and Robinson was legit. That may be one of the best Tiger teams to hit the floor. Nothing dirty about Larry Kenon during his 1 year at Memphis and his Coach Gene Bartow went on to coach at UCLA later on. I wouldn't call Keith Lee (team) dirty by no means. He played all 4 years in Memphis when he could have gone Pro early. Dana Kirk on the other hand may have allegedly done some things. And Derrick Rose test scores, well that was in Chicago so none of know who really showed up to take that test.

That 73 Memphis Team led by Finch, Kenon and Robinson was legit. That may be one of the best Tiger teams to hit the floor. Nothing dirty about Larry Kenon during his 1 year at Memphis and his Coach Gene Bartow went on to coach at UCLA later on. I wouldn't call Keith Lee (team) dirty by no means. He played all 4 years in Memphis when he could have gone Pro early. Dana Kirk on the other hand may have allegedly done some things. And Derrick Rose test scores, well that was in Chicago so none of know who really showed up to take that test.

Was Gunn on that 73 team? Same one that lost to UCLA in the finals?

Actually the Keith Lee team might have been the dirtiest....and Lee was at the center of it...

Actually the Keith Lee team might have been the dirtiest....and Lee was at the center of it...

I don't recall ever hearing this. Is there a link? Maybe you're talking about Big Bone Ft Keith Lee and Dirty Dredz

It was fools gold. Just like the miracle run by Cuonzo to the sweet 16. Difference is that Memphis is locked into Pastner for $10 million and UT got a million bucks for Cuonzo to coach elsewhere because our AD didn't bend over for an agent wanting a raise and extension for his client.

The difference is that it was Pastner's third straight trip to the NCAAT. Cuonzo hadn't been to one. Again, I am not suggesting that Pastner is a very good coach. But, based on those circumstances at that point (3rd straight NCAAT, 31-5, top 5 recruiting class, perfect APR), you aren't being objective if you say an extension was not warranted. Don't use what you know now. The only thing that was silly was guaranteeing the entire contract. Every other school in this country would have extended him and given him some kind of raise. The only thing that should be discussed is that clause in the contract.

It's a complete nightmare scenario. He racked up a pretty decent record and made the tournament 3 times in a row, so allowing him to walk to another job seemed unthinkable at the time. Giving him a contract with no buyout was so unbelievably stupid I can hardly wrap my head around it.

I knew Memphis was in for a ride after the 2014 season, their first season in the AAC. That was Pastner's deepest, most talented team by far, and he (finally) racked off some wins against ranked teams. But the losses were ugly. Really ugly. Especially the AAC tournament loss to UConn in front of a packed FedEx Forum. And so a team that could have easily been a 2 or a 3 seed limped into the tournament as an 8 seed and was promptly pimp slapped by Virginia. The team looked clueless.

I knew the UofM had made a huge mistake, but I didn't realize how big.

The program lost Avery Woodson too, it's best outside shooter.

We don't have room, and we don't need another guard. But, Woodson would be a nice addition to our team, who will probably struggle next year from outside.

Another transfer - Randall Broddie. Kid was supposedly a decent shooter and never saw the floor.

There should be some kind of language in his contract about fielding an actual team. With 10 open scholarships and only 1 high school recruit along with a JUCO, Memphis could be walk-on U next year.

508MIKEY Dana Kirk RIP did some underhanded stuff while at the helm in Memphis, no different than Pearl. Some coaches get caught, some don't.

VN Store

Back