Tim Priest was livid

Tell that to Clemson, tell that to South Carolina, tell that to every team that runs the GUN. Most teams that run the GUN do NOT go under center even when it is 3 and very short.

If we go under the center, fumble the ball or lose 5, I guarantee you all of you are complaining about that.

That ONE series is NOT what lost this game.

Runs the gun? This is the second thread where I've seen you say that. I think you're confusing the shotgun with an entire offensive philosophy. Every team runs plays out of the shotgun. Many of them also run plays under center.

Well, by goodness

I swear to you all, I will go under center and run the ball on 1st and goal. You might even see a bootleg

You might also see a screen to slow down the LB pass rush or some quick slants. You will probably see a few deep balls just to keep the CBs from sneaking up in run support.

A little I formation on 3rd and short. You might even see a pass to a TE in that same formation. Keep that DC on his toes

But more importantly, do you

a) Know what the clock is for? Extra credit if you know that it can be used to your advantage.

B) Know what a 2 point conversion is?

C) know that some players are better than others, and that it is an advantage to have the better ones in the game?

If so, we may have a permanent spot for you once we nudge the current resident out.

We weren't the only pissed off UT fans in Atlanta last night. I had to diffuse this one, pretty funny though.

Oh did I mention I hate Butch Jones?

vhe03k.jpg

Diffuse? What happened? Did you have to put him in a sleeper hold or what? Don't leave us hangin'.

We should have scored there. We didn't. But ...

- That did not prevent the team from coming back and tying the game late.

- That did not prevent the defense from stopping the hail mary pass.

- That did not prevent the defense from knocking the ball out at the last minute during that long run that would have been "game over".

- That did not prevent the defense from intercepting some UF passes to get us a chance.

- That did not prevent Dormady from throwing a beautiful pass to Wolf in the 4th quarter.

- That did not prevent Kelly from dropping a pass and having Tennessee have to settle for a tie rather than take the lead.

That series did NOT prohibit Tennessee from winning the game. Would it have helped? Maybe - maybe not. Truth is folks can play the what if all they want but for every "what if" that works in a teams favor there is a "what if" that doesn't.

We are not just talking arrmchair quartebacks here dude. We are talking prifessional sports writers too. Find JUST ONE national sports writer not affilaited with UT to defend the play calling on that series. We are a national JOKE today.

Not scoring a TD on that series was bad enough but what made it criminal was not even getting THREE POINTS on that posession. The entire third quarter was beyond mere ineptitude, it was clinical megalomaniac insanity.

Reactions: 1 person
No, always run 1st and 6 inch in that situation. If you don't get it, we are not going to complain about that play call ever. It's about the probability of success, run is much more successful in that situation. But if you try some pass play and it's intercepted, you are going to get roasted. In a similar situation against gt, they ran it in under center(I believe) with jk diving in for the td, run they exact play again every time.

Agree... pretty sure I never heard..." WTH is he thinking, running from the 1 yd line?"

Well, Chip Kelly ain't going under center so that eliminates him

I'm not a chip Kelly fan but he would coach circles around Butch. Plus it was very rare you seen his offense at the 1. They were breaking runs of 30-60 yds.I bet you Chip would have a play to get that 1 yd. Butch looks clueless standing on the sideline but put him in front of a microphone and he thinks he is the smartest person in the room.

Oh, then you missed the stiff arm to Jumper's face on the scoring drive at the end in which Jumper shudv stopped him on a 2 yard gain but he got stiff armed and the runner got another 5 yards

Is that the play where the gator shoved his fingers through the mask? Looked like he went for the eyes, very deliberately.

We are not just talking arrmchair quartebacks here dude. We are talking prifessional sports writers too. Find JUST ONE national sports writer not affilaited with UT to defend the play calling on that series. We are a national JOKE today.

Not scoring a TD on that series was bad enough but what made it criminal was not even getting THREE POINTS on that posession. The entire third quarter was beyond mere ineptitude, it was clinical megalomaniac insanity.

This times 1 million!

For those calling out "nega VOLS" and "armchair quarterbacks", Tim Priest is no armchair qb. He's a VFL and knows this game. He has waaay more football acumen than Lyle, by A LOT. Butch blew it. He has chance after chance to get it right and still chooses to suck at it.

God I hate defending this coaching staff so much but for F..ks sake some of you are complete morons.

Priest only called out Dormady for three terrible decisions.

His only comment negative toward the coaches was the "please go under center" comment.

I don't understand why we didn't run the damn ball either but CBJ didn't make those calls, Larry Scott did.

Aren't some of you being a hypocrite? Aren't you the same arm chair ADs and arm chair coaches who said Butch wouldn't let his coaches coach? Always meddling and over ruling them? Insisting things be done his way?

Make up your minds.

And no I don't think Butch Is a great coach but why do so many grasp at straws to make an argument to fire him?

God I hate defending this coaching staff so much but for F..ks sake some of you are complete morons.

Priest only called out Dormady for three terrible decisions.

His only comment negative toward the coaches was the "please go under center" comment.

I don't understand why we didn't run the damn ball either but CBJ didn't make those calls, Larry Scott did.

Aren't some of you being a hypocrite? Aren't you the same arm chair ADs and arm chair coaches who said Butch wouldn't let his coaches coach? Always meddling and over ruling them? Insisting things be done his way?

Make up your minds.

And no I don't think Butch Is a great coach but why do so many grasp at straws to make an argument to fire him?

Here's my take on it for whatever it's worth (not worth much, I know)

I don't give a damn who is calling the plays. I don't give a damn how much of a leash Butch gives his coaches. I don't give a damn how much he micromanages. I give a damn about winning games and us looking like we aren't completely lost out there.

Here's what I want from Butch Jones:

1.) A defense that doesn't look COMPLETELY lost on every play

2.) DBs that aren't always chasing WRs 5yds behind

3.) LBs that get into the backfield and hit low and hard

4.) WRs that actually know how to run routes

5.) QBs that can hit receivers in stride

6.) A coach who knows you go for 2 when you up are by 12 points.

7.) A coach who can sense when a defense is reeling and capitalize on it

8.) A coach who will put a QB under center and dive forward six inches

Reactions: 7 people
Here's my take on it for whatever it's worth (not worth much, I know)

I don't give a damn who is calling the plays. I don't give a damn how much of a leash Butch gives his coaches. I don't give a damn how much he micromanages. I give a damn about winning games and us looking like we aren't completely lost out there.

Here's what I want from Butch Jones:

1.) A defense that doesn't look COMPLETELY lost on every play

2.) DBs that aren't always chasing WRs 5yds behind

3.) LBs that get into the backfield and hit low and hard

4.) WRs that actually know how to run routes

5.) QBs that can hit receivers in stride

6.) A coach who knows you go for 2 when you up are by 12 points.

7.) A coach who can sense when a defense is reeling and capitalize on it

8.) A coach who will put a QB under center and dive forward six inches

Ding ding ding, we have a winner here folks!!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back