Timeline from Currie (per recruit)

Patterson didn’t defend too well last Saturday against Oklahoma and Baker Mayfield. Of course only Iowa State and Texas have done much defending them. Mute point as Patterson isn’t coming here I don’t think.

The level of recruits that TCU gets VS Oklahoma is night and day. Patterson will NEVER win a championship at TCU because they cannot attract the kind of athletes an Oklahoma or Alabama gets.

Reactions: 1 person
So a kid 2,000 miles away is more loyal to the school than a kid 20 miles down the road? Amazing.

It is, but I don't blame these kids. The vast majority of these recruits, especially the highly touted ones, commit more to a coach and not a school. Especially when the school in question (Tennessee) hasn't been relevant on the national stage in their lifetime.

Cade Mays is the #1 recruit in the state, one of the most highly recruited guys in the country, and wants to go to a school where he thinks he is going to be coached up the most and play in a bunch of high-profile games. If he went to Tennessee and had a great college career he'd still get drafted high, but he wants to go to a school where his odds of that are better and the situation is more certain. That sucks that any 5-star doesn't want to come to Tennessee anymore, especially a born and raised Knoxville kid whose dad played for UT, but I understand his decision. I highly doubt that was an easy decision for him or his family.

Do you think most of these Alabama commits are going to Alabama out of their loyalty to the school or because they think being coached by Saban is a ticket straight to the NFL? If Saban retired, do you think that might change the equation in their minds? I bet it would for more than a few.

John Currie: Adrian, I'd like you to meet your new Head Coach.

John Gruden: Hi Adrian, I'm Coach Gruden. Welcome to VolNation. Let's go kick some SEC @$$.

Adrian Martinez: This is off 'da chain...where do I sign?

Adrian Martinez: But, wait, you don't look and sound like Coach Gruden.

Les Miles: Of course not kid, I was just foolin with ya, I'm Les Miles, and I tell ya nothin taste better than TN grass. Come get you some.

John Currie: Adrian, I'd like you to meet your new Head Coach.

John Gruden: Hi Adrian, I'm Coach Gruden. Welcome to VolNation. Let's go kick some SEC @$$.

Adrian Martinez: This is off 'da chain...where do I sign?

Martinez: Hey my dad used to talk about you when you were coaching. I think I was 3 yrs old then. Did you really coach ?

I think we will have a new coach in place around SEC Championship weekend. That will also give the new coach and his staff a couple weeks before early NSD.
I say announce Head Coach Jon Gruden 60 minutes prior to kick off pf SECCG

Adrian Martinez: But, wait, you don't look and sound like Coach Gruden.

Les Miles: Of course not kid, I was just foolin with ya, I'm Les Miles, and I tell ya nothin taste better than TN grass. Come get you some.

Hey! Quit picking on the Mad Hater. Our new slogan here could be "Do More with Les"

Reactions: 2 people
Kiffin is the Bad Boy of Football. But he would make it exciting.

It's funny though. Kiffin is offered the HC job at USC, his alma mater, takes it .. and he has no integrity.

Currie is offered the AD job at UT, his alma mater, and takes it ... and he has integrity.

All depends on how you look at it.

I suppose you forgot HOW your boy Lane left us stranded in the middle of the night right before signing day.

He's a punk, and I hope he loses every game he plays.

So a kid 2,000 miles away is more loyal to the school than a kid 20 miles down the road? Amazing.

You really going to blame Mays for considering what school is the best for himself and his potential multi-million dollar future? He literally has his pick of anywhere, and we are currently in disarray. Judgemental much?

Why would Gruden be top target? He hasn't coached in years and openly said he wanted an NFL gig and even the NFL doesn't take him seriously as a coach. He was fired after all.

He won a super bowl for crying out loud, lots of super bowl winning coaches have been fired from their jobs; Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and Tony Dungy to name a few. Also, Dick Vermeil was gone from coaching for 15 years before he came back and led the Rams to a super bowl, so the idea that Gruden couldn't be successful after a decade is just dumb.

Frost would be a great pick, but I think he's headed to FLA. Mullen isn't going anywhere. He makes the same money in Starkville without the pressure.

Frost would be a great pick, however he's not going to UF, Mullen or Kelly will end up there I'm fairly certain.

UT needs an offensive-minded coach, one who knows the SEC, can recruit and develop talent and compete.

Are you saying that Jon Gruden, a former quarterbacks coach, who runs an annual coaching camp, doesn't understand offense and can't develop talent? Ok.

Of all the coaches out there, the one that fits UT best is ... Lane Kiffin.

Never going to happen and if it did happen I would lose every ounce of respect I have for this football program. It doesn't matter if he'd be a good fit, that is completely irrelevant, the history there is more than enough to disqualify him. Hiring Kiffin would be a great way to piss off the fan base and for some of them, it would be enough to go find someone else to cheer for.

UCF finishes the season on November 24. I am not sure Scott Frost would skip out on the bowl game, but he could accept our offer and still coach their bowl game.

Think Scott Frost to Tennessee. John Currie's few days is two weeks until UCF regular season is over. The person is going to be a leader (offensive leader-UCF explosive offense). Why is Currie so intent on keeping his best 2018 qb recruit in the fold?

“I can tell from what he told my father and I, he’s working really really hard,” Martinez continued. “He said it’s going to take awhile, it won’t be hours until a decision will be made, but it will be days. There’s a lot of work that has to go into this decision. It’s going to be a leader and someone that’s going to get this program back where it needs to be. He really reassured us that he’s going to get it done soon.

Thought Florida's first choice for head coach according to the odds was Scott Frost. Seems like Florida's search has turned to Chip Kelly for some reason. Either, Frost has interest in Tennessee or he is committed on going to Nebraska.

Think Gruden ship has sailed. Don't think Currie would look at Chip Kelly because of show clause. Currie is committed to doing things by the book and staying out of trouble with the NCAA. Don't think Currie would poach another sec team of their coach-Mullen.

I think we have our new coach closer to November 20 than December 20

I agree and most had hoped that Currie was not sitting around scratching his arse while the dumpster was burning. I think by him personally calling recruits and their parents he has an ace up his sleeve. My thought with all the smoke that Gruuuuuuueeeedddeeennnn may have indicated he would give it a shot. Many good reasons to do so and money not just the big one. He will never spend all he has now so he may give it a whirl. I would take it in a heartbeat and announce as soon as possible. I would bet also any recruit who has decommitted will be right back if given the chance.JMHO as always! :shaking2:

VN Store

Back