'24 TN WR Amari Jefferson (Alabama commit)

People are so quick to cut a kid off based on their own loyalties.

Did everyone forget he was committed to Tony Vitello for quite a while?

I don't think he hates Tennessee, I think he had a coach that's won 6 NC make him a top priority. That guy's gone now, so the question is where is he going to be the best fit as a player, a student, and a person.
Yep. Pisses me off as well when fans get in the way of their own team with this crap. Let the head coach decided if the team is better without him or not, STFU on social media and message boards if your feelings are hurt bc a guy picked a school that wasn’t yours.

In a vacuum, anyone would, I'd think.

But, hypothetically, what if Jefferson would commit today, but if we wouldn't take him on the spot, instead hopingvfor a chan e at Williams, Jefferson would eliminate us altogether? IOW, you can have Jefferson now, or a chance (unknown how much or little) at Williams later...which option are you taking?

I'd take Jefferson on the spot in that circumstance.
If it's a luxury, like this, and not a need...im holding out for the better player. A need, I'm with you...take the commitment you can get...especially someone like Jefferson; while not as skilled as Williams, still pretty damn good.

It goes both ways. I might be more forgiving but being from the area makes it sting a bit. Especially at a school like Baylor or McCallie where we have missed on kids in the last few years.
I disagree.

If you have the chance to be a major baseball prospect instead of a football prospect, the math at the top end always favors baseball. In both longevity, and amount, he would absolutely make more money in baseball. He knows it, his family knows it, Vitello knows it, Heupel knows it as well.

If he can become a top football prospect like a Russel Wilson, or Patrick Mahomes, then the money left on the table doesn't matter as much. It's about going where your heart is at that point.

Unfortunately, being a WR and becoming a top end prospect is extremely hard in football. If I'm Amari I'm second guessing myself every night, and then you have some guy that won 6 NC tell you that you are priority #1 for him because he believes he can make your dreams come true.

What fans think doesn't matter, what matters is this might be the worst decision he's ever made and he needs to hedge his bets as much as possible.

Reactions: volsofsteele
I disagree.

If you have the chance to be a major baseball prospect instead of a football prospect, the math at the top end always favors baseball. In both longevity, and amount, he would absolutely make more money in baseball. He knows it, his family knows it, Vitello knows it, Heupel knows it as well.

If he can become a top football prospect like a Russel Wilson, or Patrick Mahomes, then the money left on the table doesn't matter as much. It's about going where your heart is at that point.

Unfortunately, being a WR and becoming a top end prospect is extremely hard in football. If I'm Amari I'm second guessing myself every night, and then you have some guy that won 6 NC tell you that you are priority #1 for him because he believes he can make your dreams come true.

What fans think doesn't matter, what matters is this might be the worst decision he's ever made and he needs to hedge his bets as much as possible.
That’s assuming he makes it to the big leagues. He could also spend most of his prime traveling on a bus from town to town playing AA baseball

That’s assuming he makes it to the big leagues. He could also spend most of his prime traveling on a bus from town to town playing AA baseball
A lot depends on the round that you are drafted in the MLB and your signing bonus. That initial signing bonus is all you're going to get. If you are not a top 5 round draft pick the odds are going to be heavily stacked against you on getting to the bigs. The average career for a baseball player is 2.7 years. Let's say that you are a top of the 5th round draft pick which is a Top 200 prospect and you get a signing bonus of around $500k that is pretty much all you get until you make it to the bigs. A 5th round prospect would more than likely be kept around 4-5 yrs to develop. This puts your yearly earnings at $100k-$125k + annual salary which is basically a bag of chips and a bottle of water. If you don't make it to the MLB you have made little to nothing over the 5 years and the reality is that a very high percentage don't make it.

You could go the football route, take a bit of a beating and become a 7th round draft pick making league minimum of $750k/yr. then bounce between a rostered player and a practice squad player at $216k per year. If you play one year in the NFL at $750k then 4 years as a practice squad player at $216k/yr. you have grossed $1.64M then fizzle out. You best the 5th round MLB draft pick by well over $1M in gross earnings and can say that you played in the NFL.

It really helps the NFL that there is no minor league system.

Met him last night. Impressive young man. My son was able to get him to ground out to second and shut Baylor out for 4 innings. Did tell him I wish he was a Vol and he smiled and laughed. Wished him well and you could tell he’s a good kid.
well, yeah, except for that whole Alabama thing................................

Nah, I'll just let you bathe in ignorance. No need to discuss something when petty insults are obviously going to come from one side. It's a waste of time

I wouldn’t want to try explaining such a dumb stance either.

“I want guys who want to be here! So if he decides he wants to be here…I don’t want him!”

VN Store

Back