Tony Basilio Tweet

Ah yes, the same gospel source that's been trying to convince us Holly is a good coach and making excuses on her behalf for years. Come to think of it, you fall in that camp as well...

LOL. I see no lies here.

WTBS, this is more of a fact-based discussion, not opinion. For how wrong he was about Holly, I'm sure he's correct regarding Westbrook.

It’s now “tomorrow” and I want my damn feast! Fire her now Fulmer! What in God’s creation are you waiting for!?!
It’s just pure agony...... I keep checking my phone to see if she’s been fired yet....I don’t know that I can stand to wait any longer!!!!

Reactions: Volstylexx
Chris Low from espn was on air last night talking about how It’s spring football and absolutely no one is talking about football in Knoxville.

Why? Basketball. The poster was spot on- basketball has equaled popularity of football in Knoxville the past 2 years. Fulmer has also shown incredible interest in boosting all TN sports, not just football. In fact, he put football renovations on hold and moved ahead with massive improvements to baseball facilities. Volleyball for a new training center and a new head coach. Football may still, and will always be the cash cow of the athletic department- but it is no longer the sole focus of attention.

This may not be a bad thing while we are still in the process of rebuilding some form of respectability within the conference. It also somewhat takes the “instant success” pressure off of Jeremy Pruitt while the rebuild takes place.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Wouldn't the salary for three assistants be a wash. It's not like they aren't paying three now so don't think that part is that large of a factor.

It’s not really a wash at all, because Holly and her assistant comprise one of the lowest paid staffs in the conference. They were ninth in the conference last season, not sure where the numbers stacked up this year, but nobody got a significant raise.

DP, since UT has over a Billion Dollar in endowments, can any of that money be used for athletics?

Endowments have many uses, such as scholarships and college improvements...Isn't improving the coaching situation a college improvement?

I’m not familiar with Tennessee having a billion-dollar endowment, but whatever endowment exists is for the academic side only. The finances of the athletics department are completely separate. The academic side does not and will not fund any athletics programs.

I hope whomever the new coach is keeps Sharronna Reaves don't really want Dean to stay and don't care either way with Gordon. Reaves is a top recruiter who got Horston to commit and sign with Tennessee. Hopefully the next coach finds her a valuable asset to the program.

Gordon was more influential with Horson than Reaves was.

It’s just pure agony...... I keep checking my phone to see if she’s been fired yet....I don’t know that I can stand to wait any longer!!!!

I would not expect an announcement as long as the men’s basketball team is still alive in the NCAA tournament. Coach Fulmer was scheduled to travel with the men’s team to the regional today, so I certainly wouldn’t expect anything this week.

Certainly things could change, but if a change is made, you’re not likely to hire a replacement until after the coaches convention at the women’s final four anyway, so I don’t think you’re losing anything by waiting.

I would not expect an announcement as long as the men’s basketball team is still alive in the NCAA tournament. Coach Fulmer was scheduled to travel with the men’s team to the regional today, so I certainly wouldn’t expect anything this week.

Certainly things could change, but if a change is made, you’re not likely to hire a replacement until after the coaches convention at the women’s final four anyway, so I don’t think you’re losing anything by waiting.

Wow ... stop holding out on us DP 😩 what are you hearing through the grapevine ?

I promise I won’t hold you to it 😂

Reactions: WeAreTheRealUT.
Chris Low from espn was on air last night talking about how It’s spring football and absolutely no one is talking about football in Knoxville.

Why? Basketball. The poster was spot on- basketball has equaled popularity of football in Knoxville the past 2 years. Fulmer has also shown incredible interest in boosting all TN sports, not just football. In fact, he put football renovations on hold and moved ahead with massive improvements to baseball facilities. Volleyball for a new training center and a new head coach. Football may still, and will always be the cash cow of the athletic department- but it is no longer the sole focus of attention.

The only thing that matters is MONEY. Football is, and always will be, the number one focus of the University of Tennessee athletics.

The men's basketball team is in the Sweet Sixteen, so there is a lot of interest.

Putting money into the other UT sports equals less interest in football? That is silly. UT has always spent money on the other sports, including softball and swimming, for instance. This is nothing new.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
I was listening and I generally like TB but two pieces of info do not line up. He said UT wouldn’t break the bank with the hire but that Jeff Walz is the big prize. Both of those statements can’t be true. Now perhaps he meant to say they won’t spend unless it’s Jeff Walz but on their face those two statements don’t wash. You would have to back the truck up for Walz.

The only thing that matters is MONEY. Football is, and always will be, the number one focus of the University of Tennessee athletics.

The men's basketball team is in the Sweet Sixteen, so there is a lot of interest.

Putting money into the other UT sports equals less interest in football? That is silly. UT has always spent money on the other sports, including softball and swimming, for instance. This is nothing new.

I was listening and I generally like TB but two pieces of info do not line up. He said UT wouldn’t break the bank with the hire but that Jeff Walz is the big prize. Both of those statements can’t be true. Now perhaps he meant to say they won’t spend unless it’s Jeff Walz but on their face those two statements don’t wash. You would have to back the truck up for Walz.
I thought he meant that is the one coach they would throw the bank at, but he didn't think he would leave Louisville. He is already making bank there and he has built that program from the ground.

I want to believe Gene Henley but I do not

Hope it isn't Walz. He isn't always ethical in his recruiting.

And for those wanting Freese, she tampered with Gatewood and Candace after they were at Tennessee. Gatewood left the team at Christmas break and transferred, devastating her teammates and ruining a good season. We don't need coaches like that!!!

It’s not really a wash at all, because Holly and her assistant comprise one of the lowest paid staffs in the conference. They were ninth in the conference last season, not sure where the numbers stacked up this year, but nobody got a significant raise.
I understand what you are saying but wouldn't it depend on who is hired? If a up and coming coach is hired I doubt that coaches assistants would make more than the staff we have now. That's why I think it would be a wash. I don't see a high profile coach being hired so I don't expect the assistants to cost more than what we currently have. Time will tell. In all honesty I don't expect a change to be made unless an assistant is sacrificed. I see a couple of players bugging out and think that will pointed to as the source of the problem once again as we have seen in the recent past. If that happens, then next year will be a wash and repeat.

The only way you wouldn't break the bank is hiring Walz and keep the assistants currently on staff here. There is a less than 1% chance of that happening.

Reactions: WVU05UT09

VN Store

Back