Trevor Noah understands Volunteer passion

It goes back further than 2016. "Comedians" have traded in laughs for applause. Sorry guys, I can applaud myself. Tell me something funny.

They can either be funny or they can keep their jobs. I can't blame them too much.

Trevor Noah is hit and miss comedy wise. It is hard to judge his comedy on "The Daily Show" because he replaced Jon Stewart, no one could live up to that standard, Stewart is quite simply the best. If you remove Trevor Noah from that standard he is a funny host.

This goofy little take is funny because it is spot on. He is poking fun at us, but in no way insulting us. This is a long, long way from some arrogant ESPN analyst describing Vols as being in a "trailer park frenzy". Some of y'all have a persecution complex about the national media covering the vols and some of those somehow tie that into an even deeper persecution complex over media coverage of conservatives. I assure you this was just a comedy host describing a passionate fanbase to a national audience that knows little to nothing about the fan base. It was spot on, and funny.

Same same.... but different.....
Everyone seems to somehow think the South Africans somehow have some relationship to the British when nothing could be further from the truth. They are actually related to the Dutch. The Boers and the the British fought a very bitter and bloody war around the turn of the (previous century). The only thing English about the South Africans is the language and that is more a result of who won the war than anything else.

Reactions: AllVolCincy
Everyone seems to somehow think the South Africans somehow have some relationship to the British when nothing could be further from the truth. They are actually related to the Dutch. The Boers and the the British fought a very bitter and bloody war around the turn of the (previous century). The only thing English about the South Africans is the language and that is more a result of who won the war than anything else.

Umm.... the British literally colonized South Africa.... and the UK has soldiers from South Africa because they are a Common Wealth country.....

So please go on. I mean... the Dutch colonized South Africa hundreds of years ago and South Africa was colonized by the British after that and then the British won.... and everything was based on the British lifestyle after that.

What your saying would be like me saying I am still Scottish even though My family moved to the United States hundreds of years ago....

Last edited:

I take this as a compliment. We are a passionate bunch of football fans that travel well, party well, spend loads of cash wherever we go and would likely do the same on the Sun if appropriate drinks and BBQ were available. So thanks for noting what a tremendous fan base UT has and nice job trying to imitate our distinctive and admired southern accents. Non-southerners wish they could speak as eloquently as we do. GBO!

Umm.... the British literally colonized South Africa.... and the UK has soldiers from South Africa because they are a Common Wealth country.....

So please go on. I mean... the Dutch colonized South Africa hundreds of years ago and South Africa was colonized by the British after that and then the British won.... and everything was based on the British lifestyle after that.

What your saying would be like me saying I am still Scottish even though My family moved to the United States hundreds of years ago....
I see your point 😊
But here is the analogy i would try to make instead, since the Scotts were mentioned. Go into the average pub in Aberdeen and ask a patron if he is English since they are part of the UK. Just because the English conquered your country doesn’t necessarily mean the locals are any happier about it even a long time later. Of course I am not speaking from personal knowledge of how the residents of the modern South Africa feel about their allegiance to the commonwealth. They may be fine with it now. I just know that there was some VERY VERY bad blood there in the time period I study most closely; pre WWI Europe. So I apologize in advance advance if I am way off base. It would surely not be the first time 😊

In the case of Trevor Noah, he was the son of a Swiss man and a black South African woman, meaning that his existence was technically illegal. The descendants of the Boers you mention were the primary members of the ruling party, which had banned interracial relationships. He tells stories in his books and stand-up about the various rules that governed their lives, probably the best way to learn about that dark period because he makes it actually amusing.

Anyway one of my favorite of his stand-up stories is his story about a visit to Zambia, a place that like Wyoming is modern and relatively wealthy, yet has almost no escalators.

Reactions: kcvols1
I love how UGA Wire posted about this and the caption is "Comedian Trevor Noah roasts Tennessee football."

il_570xN.2084760792_glwy.jpg

Reactions: StarRaider
I love how UGA Wire posted about this and the caption is "Comedian Trevor Noah roasts Tennessee football."

il_570xN.2084760792_glwy.jpg

Yeah, that's where I saw it. I decided to own it as a badge of honor. It speaks to the passion of our fan base, and I wasn't insulted by it

I see your point 😊
But here is the analogy i would try to make instead, since the Scotts were mentioned. Go into the average pub in Aberdeen and ask a patron if he is English since they are part of the UK. Just because the English conquered your country doesn’t necessarily mean the locals are any happier about it even a long time later. Of course I am not speaking from personal knowledge of how the residents of the modern South Africa feel about their allegiance to the commonwealth. They may be fine with it now. I just know that there was some VERY VERY bad blood there in the time period I study most closely; pre WWI Europe. So I apologize in advance advance if I am way off base. It would surely not be the first time 😊

Lol I understand your viewpoints and they are valid. But I know a few South Africans two through college and one through the military and I would say those 3 aligned themselves with the UK style of life. Now maybe they are outliers? I dunno.

Trevor Noah is hit and miss comedy wise. It is hard to judge his comedy on "The Daily Show" because he replaced Jon Stewart, no one could live up to that standard, Stewart is quite simply the best. If you remove Trevor Noah from that standard he is a funny host.

This goofy little take is funny because it is spot on. He is poking fun at us, but in no way insulting us. This is a long, long way from some arrogant ESPN analyst describing Vols as being in a "trailer park frenzy". Some of y'all have a persecution complex about the national media covering the vols and some of those somehow tie that into an even deeper persecution complex over media coverage of conservatives. I assure you this was just a comedy host describing a passionate fanbase to a national audience that knows little to nothing about the fan base. It was spot on, and funny.

Perfect analysis. Spot on.

It took me a while to warm up to Noah. I do think he’s funny but it was a hard get past Stewart leaving the show.

VN Store

Back