Trick Plays

It's a good question.

My personal guess has two parts:

(a) in part, he's not a fan of tricks, just meet you toe to toe and beat you straight up ...
(b) and in part, maybe he's holding off on the exotic stuff until the thought processes and culture of his system are so integrated into our program that it all becomes second nature. Then bring out the kinky plays.

No idea if either or both of those are true. They just feel like they might be right for Josh Heupel's personality.

Go Vols!

I think we see a fake punt in one of the next two games. As much as Heupel likes to gamble on 4th, it just might work.
The one play we haven’t seen this year that has been a staple to Heupel’s offense is the TE swing double pass. Fant to Hyatt hooked up a couple times on it.

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL
I have asked myself this exact question. I'm really not talking about a double-reverse pass back to the QB. More of what Bubba ran last night against LSU.

The backs in the backfield (I know 2 of them!....in the same backfield) lined up on either side of the QB. They crossed at the QB and he handed it to one of them. It confused the DL - but most especially the LBs. Then the "jet-sweep" seems like a good play with a couple of our speedsters.

I don't think we can just line up against MZ or GA and mostly run smash-mouth with an occasional pass to try and keep the LBs / DBs honest (whilst also protecting Joe's mental game).

I would also like to see the TE get more attention.

I did love the shuttle pass used earlier in the season.

Reactions: volfeeva
As a fan I like to see a QB lateral resulting in a down field pass. Maybe a reverse. But...

Mostly I like to see a team function like a well oiled watch... block, tackle, hit the holes hard, make the throws, catch the passes, minimize penalties. The cute stuff can come later.

Reactions: loservol
I don't understand why coach Heup hasn't run any.I mean hes not conservative going for it on fourth down.The Jackson dude looks fast. I bet he could get lose and run across the country.True Freshman or not he should give the dude a chance.What do you all think?
I have noticed this lack of trick plays myself and wondered why we don't have at least 1 or 2 that could have helped us in the red zone where we have struggled all year. Other teams have gadget plays they use on us, so it is confusing why we seem to be limited to running up the middle or a dump pass out to the sidelines. For one thing, it makes us so predictable , defenses know whats coming on every play. I do remember recently a shuttle pass up the middle that went no where. And my guess is the option play they tried 2 games ago that Milton almost fumbled on, is CHP version of gadget plays.

Reactions: 08Vol
I have noticed this lack of trick plays myself and wondered why we don't have at least 1 or 2 that could have helped us in the red zone where we have struggled all year. Other teams have gadget plays they use on us, so it is confusing why we seem to be limited to running up the middle or a dump pass out to the sidelines. For one thing, it makes us so predictable , defenses know whats coming on every play. I do remember recently a shuttle pass up the middle that went no where. And my guess is the option play they tried 2 games ago that Milton almost fumbled on, is CHP version of gadget plays.
Not sure if planned or improvised but did you notice on Nicos TD pass how he took a couple steps toward the line freezing the DBs for 1/2 second before throwing to an open Castles? It was a nice move.

Not sure if planned or improvised but did you notice on Nicos TD pass how he took a couple steps toward the line freezing the DBs for 1/2 second before throwing to an open Castles? It was a nice move.
Yeah. I assumed it was a “play call” as it froze the linebackers. I thought the play was a QB draw as Nico executed perfectly imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: all_volz
Trick plays are for teams who struggle to move the ball and need to get creative for chunk plays. Tennessee has no need for them.
Not so fast my friend.....a trick play executed successfully at an opportune time can change the momentum in a game. I've wondered all season why he hasn't dialed one up.....especially the Gump game!!

Last edited:
I look for our aussi punter to throw a pass at some point. There has been a few times I thought he would as defenses are starting to turn their backs on him. Maybe we will see it soon. Love to see that during the Georgia game.

I don't understand why coach Heup hasn't run any.I mean hes not conservative going for it on fourth down.The Jackson dude looks fast. I bet he could get lose and run across the country.True Freshman or not he should give the dude a chance.What do you all think?
This team is good enough to win without having to "trick" it's opponents.

I look for our aussi punter to throw a pass at some point. There has been a few times I thought he would as defenses are starting to turn their backs on him. Maybe we will see it soon. Love to see that during the Georgia game.
I was thinking we would see a couple of these fake punts this year since over last summer I remember reading the punter said he had the second strongest arm on the team and Heup said he was third behind himself.

It's a good question.

My personal guess has two parts:

(a) in part, he's not a fan of tricks, just meet you toe to toe and beat you straight up ...
(b) and in part, maybe he's holding off on the exotic stuff until the thought processes and culture of his system are so integrated into our program that it all becomes second nature. Then bring out the kinky plays.

No idea if either or both of those are true. They just feel like they might be right for Josh Heupel's personality.

Go Vols!
How’s Beamer Ball worked out?

Not so fast my friend.....a trick play executed successfully at an opportune time can change the momentum in a game. I've wondered all season why he hasn't dialed one up.
I feel like Trick plays are for teams who need a spark and are struggling to move the ball. Uconn and South Carolina tried trick plays on us to change momentum. For the most part our offense is a well oiled machine and doesn't need to get cute. South Carolina was pulling out all the stops against Tennessee and after the fake punt I posted in the game thread Beamers aggressiveness was going to backfire. A few minutes later pick 6 that sealed South Carolina's fate. Tennessee can move the ball at will, no need to do anything different.

Trick plays are for teams who struggle to move the ball and need to get creative for chunk plays. Tennessee has no need for them.
I don’t think it’s a bad idea to have a couple plays in your pocket when things stall out. Nobody would have blamed Heupel if he tried something against Bama in the 2nd half to get something going. Momentum is a real thing

I think we see a fake punt in one of the next two games. As much as Heupel likes to gamble on 4th, it just might work.
I hope not. Trick plays are great when successful, but kill you when unsuccessful. Don't need to give up a possession by trying to be "cute".

Reactions: LexVol71
The best trick play is one you never see coming. Maybe he doesn't like them, but I also can't think of a situation when a trick play was needed. If he saves them for something special, some unique situation, then cool. If not, as a fan I love seeing one executed properly.

VN Store

Back