True or False? If Dobbs started against Florida, UT wins the game.

Coaching staffs are judged on a body of work. If that body of work continues to be sub par, these are questions that should be asked

With a solid line Worley can do work. This staff needs time to get the right people in there. It sucks but it is reality. Maybe the staff isn't that good but it is too early to tell.

With a solid line Worley can do work. This staff needs time to get the right people in there. It sucks but it is reality. Maybe the staff isn't that good but it is too early to tell.

The staff needs to play the players that can play competitive football. The line sucks and you have a guy that can help mitigate that and the staff waited until tonight to play him. That's bad.

Reactions: 1 person
The staff needs to play the players that can play competitive football. The line sucks and you have a guy that can help mitigate that and the staff waited until tonight to play him. That's bad.

Fair enough but I believe the staff really wanted that redshirt. The made bowl promises so now its crunch time. I try not to look too much into the FL game. IMO the entire team bought into how much Florida sucks and came out flat and the went into panic mode when they saw that the FL D is legit.

The next response will be something about recruiting and only losing to Florida and Georgia by 4 points combined or something

It's hard to get 22,000 posts and only 700 likes. It makes sense reading your last few comments, though. It did make sense to start Worley until the last week or so. He played very well through the Georgia game. And you don't pull him for a sophomore who hasn't been wowing in practice until you get more than one bad game. Prior to the Ole Miss game, he was completing over 64% of his passes with 12 TDs and 5 picks. Maybe the offense sputtered at times, but Worley was playing well enough to keep his job.

Maybe you could argue that he should have made the move at Ole Miss...but it would be difficult to justify pulling Worley after one bad start when you're heading into Oxford and playing a top SEC defense.

As for the 4 combined point comment...if you don't understand that looking good in almost every game, and for most of the other games, and playing tight games is a positive, then I don't know how to help you. Football is, at the end of the day, primarily about wins and losses. But it doesn't take a very sharp mind to recognize that losing by 4 to those two teams beats the crap out of losing by 20-30 to them.

Last edited:
Fair enough but I believe the staff really wanted that redshirt. The made bowl promises so now its crunch time. I try not to look too much into the FL game. IMO the entire team bought into how much Florida sucks and came out flat and the went into panic mode when they saw that the FL D is legit.

Why do they want a redshirt? So he can still be around in 2017? If they havent recruited a decent QB by 2017 do you think the staff has a chance in hell at making it? Play the guys that make the team better, redshirts be damned.

Reactions: 2 people
It's hard to get 22,000 posts and only 700 likes. It makes sense reading your last few comments, though. It did make sense to start Worley until the last week or so. He played very well through the Georgia game. And you don't pull him for a sophomore who hasn't been wowing in practice until you get more than one bad game.

Maybe you could argue that he should have made the move at Ole Miss...but it would be difficult to justify pulling Worley after one bad start when you're heading into Oxford and playing a top SEC defense.

As for the 4 combined point comment...if you don't understand that looking good in almost every game, and for most of the other games, and playing tight games is a positive, then I don't know how to help you. Football is, at the end of the day, primarily about wins and losses. But it doesn't take a very sharp mind to recognize that losing by 4 to those two teams beats the crap out of losing by 20-30 to them.

I was around well before the like button, genius

And if you think that we have looked good in "almost every game," you obviously haven't been watching. The offense has sucked consistently

Hell, the offense was well on its way to sucking again tonight until Dobbs came in.

Reactions: 3 people
It's hard to get 22,000 posts and only 700 likes. It makes sense reading your last few comments, though. It did make sense to start Worley until the last week or so. He played very well through the Georgia game. And you don't pull him for a sophomore who hasn't been wowing in practice until you get more than one bad game. Prior to the Ole Miss game, he was completing over 64% of his passes with 12 TDs and 5 picks. Maybe the offense sputtered at times, but Worley was playing well enough to keep his job.

Being a veteran member of VN you should know the like function was not available until a couple of years ago.

Why do they want a redshirt? So he can still be around in 2017? If they havent recruited a decent QB by 2017 do you think the staff has a chance in hell at making it? Play the guys that make the team better, redshirts be damned.

So you can't see how having a 5th year senior QB in 2017 could be beneficial, and that he could feasibly start over good freshman and sophomore QBs? You can't even wrap your mind around the fact that Dobbs in his 5th year could possibly be even better for our team than highly touted QBs? :no:

Redshirts build depth and depth is what makes a team good for an entire game. This season was discounted from the beginning. 2015 was the year they, and us fans, were looking at.

Look, I don't know if Dobbs is the answer, but this offense obviously needs someone with that skill set to have a chance in hell against defenses with a pulse. Worley doesn't have that skill set

So you can't see how having a 5th year senior QB in 2017 could be beneficial, and that he could feasibly start over good freshman and sophomore QBs? You can't even wrap your mind around the fact that Dobbs in his 5th year could possibly be even better for our team than highly touted QBs? :no:

Is this serious? Guys that come in the next class will be juniors in 17, in Jones third recruiting cycle. You are damn right I think that we should have someone in by then that can play at a high enough level to start and be effective

Is this serious? Guys that come in the next class will be juniors in 17, in Jones third recruiting cycle. You are damn right I think that we should have someone in by then that can play at a high enough level to start and be effective

You would also love to redshirt incoming QBs, so they would be Sophomores in a perfect world. My point was only that it is silly to act like Dobbs couldn't possibly be improvements over QBs taken in this class, even if they are elite prospects. A 5th year senior, especially one with some natural ability, is a huge boost for an offense.

Hard to disagree with that.

Redshirts build depth and depth is what makes a team good for an entire game. This season was discounted from the beginning. 2015 was the year they, and us fans, were looking at.

Yeah, redshirting what may be the best QB for the offense you run makes teams look good for entire games. Gotcha.

Don't worry guys, it's all a process and this year was a throwaway, just like last year and all those years under Dooley

You would also love to redshirt incoming QBs, so they would be Sophomores in a perfect world. My point was only that it is silly to act like Dobbs couldn't possibly be improvements over QBs taken in this class, even if they are elite prospects. A 5th year senior, especially one with some natural ability, is a huge boost for an offense.

I'm saying if you can't consistently recruit good QBs you have no shot in hell in winning consistently in the SEC. If you do recruit QBs that can be serviceable in your system and you don't play them, you have about the same chance

I'm saying if you can't consistently recruit good QBs you have no shot in hell in winning consistently in the SEC. If you do recruit QBs that can be serviceable in your system and you don't play them, you have about the same chance

I would hate to have to make the decisions a HC at a proud program has to make.

VN Store

Back