Tuesday practice 3.8

Palardy wasn't very good as a sophomore, that's well known....and neither was Medley. He, too, was bad from beyond 40 yards, like Medley. Recall that I said Palardy became solid and reliable his senior season, when he hit 14 of 17 Fgs. And of course, while Michael struggled from distance, at least he did hit a 50 yd field goal early in his career....Aaron hasn't yet.

Butch had a great effect on Palardy in 2013....hopefully he can work his magic with Aaron as well.

OK...didn't read that qualifier in your post, but will 100% agree he had a stellar senior year. :good!:

Palardy wasn't very good as a sophomore, that's well known....and neither was Medley. He, too, was bad from beyond 40 yards, like Medley. Recall that I said Palardy became solid and reliable "a couple years ago", his senior season), when he hit 14 of 17 Fgs. And of course, while Michael struggled from distance, at least he did hit a 50 yd field goal early in his career....Aaron hasn't yet.

Butch had a great effect on Palardy in 2013....hopefully he can work his magic with Aaron as well.

Hence, the term "sophomore slump"

On the real. If Medley has any true competitiveness and drive, he'll work extra hard this offseason to be a reliable go-to-guy.

Last edited:
OK...didn't read that qualifier in your post, but will 100% agree he had a stellar senior year. :good!:

Appreciate the civil debate. And I honestly hope I'm not coming off as "anti-Medley". He's been solid inside of 40 yards, has been near perfect on extra points and improved greatly last year with his kickoffs. I'm just hoping he improves his accuracy from distance because his ability to do so in 2016 could obviously/potentially mean the difference between a good and special season.

On the real. If Medley has any true competitiveness and drive, he'll work extra hard this offseason to be reliable go-to-guy.

I don't doubt the kid's work ethic and certainly don't question his talent. It appears to me that it's between his ears in big moments, which is somewhat understandable for a young player, but ultimately not acceptable for an SEC kicker. Hoping he gets it solved this year and has a stellar junior season.

On the real. If Medley has any true competitiveness and drive, he'll work extra hard this offseason to be a reliable go-to-guy.

I don't doubt the kid's work ethic and certainly don't question his talent. It appears to me that it's between his ears in big moments, which is somewhat understandable for a young player, but ultimately not acceptable for an SEC kicker. Hoping he gets it solved this year and has a stellar junior season.

I was going to ask opinions on the mental aspect and then saw the above by KB. Seemed there was times last year when you could see a nervousness and those times corresponded with most of the misses and even the "too close" makes. Experience/age alone may help show some improvement.

I hope.

Appreciate the civil debate. And I honestly hope I'm not coming off as "anti-Medley". He's been solid inside of 40 yards, has been near perfect on extra points and improved greatly last year with his kickoffs. I'm just hoping he improves his accuracy from distance because his ability to do so in 2016 could obviously/potentially mean the difference between a good and special season.

I don't see you as anti-Medley. We all, me included, tend to harp on areas where the team (players and coaches) don't meet the expectations we think they're capable of....especially with the close losses last year when he had a chance to be the hero.

Looking at his by game stats, it is amazing when you see that...other than the BGSU game he was almost perfect in every game except the 4 losses. It could be mental...don't know....but, I can agree that it would be great if his accuracy improved from...mmm...probably 46 yds on out.

9 pages and not one mentions that we CONTINUE to work an all freshman offensive line on the left side. That's a problem.

I was going to ask opinions on the mental aspect and then saw the above by KB. Seemed there was times last year when you could see a nervousness and those times corresponded with most of the misses and even the "too close" makes. Experience/age alone may help show some improvement.

I hope.

Me, too. Probably gonna need him if we're gonna have the special season we're all pining for.

not if they're good...besides Boulware and Richmond are RS Freshman...which is sorta different.

Agreed. Plus, Robertson, a very experienced junior in the fall, most likely takes that left guard spot beside Richmond, who as you mentioned, has a year of time and development in the program as a RSFr, which is very different than a highschool kid coming off the streets. I think the OL as a whole will be a decided strength of the team this year. I honestly don't see a problem at all.

Reactions: 1 person
Agreed. Plus, Robertson, a very experienced junior in the fall, most likely takes that left guard spot beside Richmond, who as you mentioned, has a year of time and development in the program as a RSFr, which is very different than a highschool kid coming off the streets. I think the OL as a whole will be a decided strength of the team this year. I honestly don't see a problem at all.

Dam* It's like you were singing a tune you knew I needed to hear lol.

Did anyone else notice in the practice video that Dobbs' arms and shoulders look bigger. His upper body not have proportional last year and it may have affected his deep ball accuracy. That shouldn't be the case this year!!!!

not if they're good...besides Boulware and Richmond are RS Freshman...which is sorta different.

Also injuries. I think everyone knows Jashon Robertson is our left guard when healthy, and Chance Hall is out as well (he may be more likely to play at RT, but I think that's up in the air ATP). And if Richmond is going to start at one of the tackle spots he will have to beat out an experienced veteran in Kendrick to earn that spot.

Boulware is a beast! He'll get plenty of reps even if Robertson has his healthiest season. Kerbeyson had an excellent season for a guard playing tackle. Won't be a gargantuan task for Richmond to represent very well there.

Boulware is a beast! He'll get plenty of reps even if Robertson has his healthiest season. Kerbeyson had an excellent season for a guard playing tackle. Won't be a gargantuan task for Richmond to represent very well there.

We're very deep at OL...lot of talented options. And like you said Butchy, even the guys who don't "start" are very likely to get quality reps a strong rotation. We haven't been this good up front in a very long time.

Reactions: 2 people
We're very deep at OL...lot of talented options. And like you said Butchy, even the guys who don't "start" are very likely to get quality reps a strong rotation. We haven't been this good up front in a very long time.

I agree there is a huge deference between redshirt and true but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't trust it. You and I both know we are going to wind up with a line full of freshmen against the nations best upperclassmen.

He attempted 3 kicks from 50 yds last year....missed all 3 of them....from 55 vs Fla and twice from 51 vs Alabama. 31 fg attempts, only 3 from 50+, 9.6% of his kicks.

Also, he missed from 29, 28, and 31 yards. The average distance of his makes last year was 32.7 yards. This his isn't about him missing a lot of kicks from 50+ yards. He's missed all manner of kicks thus far in his career and is 6 of 18 from all kicks beyond 40 yards.....that's not good no matter how you wanna look at it. He has to get better this year....much better.

I agree. I don't mean to bash the kid at all, but if the Vols want to have a successful season in 2016, he has to elevate his game.

Butch's theme this year is to find the missing 25 points by which we lost our 4 games last season. If Medley can at least just clean up his FG percentage inside 40 yards, then we're down to 16 points.

I agree there is a huge deference between redshirt and true but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't trust it. You and I both know we are going to wind up with a line full of freshmen against the nations best upperclassmen.

Uhh, no we're not. There you go again. Just stop it with all the freshman crap. What a troll you are....

Thomas at center will a junior
Wiesman at right guard a senior
Robertson at left guard a junior
Kendrick at either tackle a RSJr
Hall at right tackle a sophomore
Jones at guard a sophomore
Austin Sanders at guard a RSJr

Boulware and Richmond are both RS freshmen, having spent an entire year developing in the program

All 3 incoming true freshman OL will very likely redshirt as well according to various reports.

Just stop it already. Freaking troll.

Reactions: 6 people
I agree. I don't mean to bash the kid at all, but if the Vols want to have a successful season in 2016, he has to elevate his game.

Butch's theme this year is to find the missing 25 points by which we lost our 4 games last season. If Medley can at least just clean up his FG percentage inside 40 yards, then we're down to 16 points.

Perfectly said with the math to boot.

Good post.

I look at it a little different though.

Ok and FL, we scored enough points in. Our D gave up too many points.

Ark and Mizzou (even though we won) we should have scored more points in. Ark, the D didn't hold.

That leaves Bama. IMO, even though it was a loss, was one of the best games of the year. Not just TN/Bama, but in college football. I love the slug fest games though. Also JMO, but Bama's final drive was probably their best drive of the season too.

Uhh, no we're not. There you go again. Just stop it with all the freshman crap. What a troll you are....

Thomas at center will a junior
Wiesman at right guard a senior
Robertson at left guard a junior
Kendrick at either tackle a RSJr
Hall at right tackle a sophomore
Jones at guard a sophomore
Austin Sanders at guard a RSJr

Boulware and Richmond are both RS freshmen, having spent an entire year developing in the program

All 3 incoming true freshman OL will very likely redshirt as well according to various reports.

Just stop it already. Freaking troll.

...and every single one of them will be down before the year is out. Guess you haven't been around long.

9 pages and not one mentions that we CONTINUE to work an all freshman offensive line on the left side. That's a problem.

The spring-time is when you give relatively less-tried guys more reps.

We have at least a couple -- or 3 or 4 -- veteran OL guys out this spring coming back from injuries.

I believe we'll be fine.

VN Store

Back