Tyler Baron has entered the portal

So the SEC strikes a THREE BILLION DOLLAR deal with ESPN and that's not a problem.

Players are looking for money and "I'm going to drop the sport because it's all about money."

VN never ceases to amaze.
I think kids should make money but I still don’t like it. I dislike that there’s no loyalty whatsoever.

Ever since the playoff was started and the money got out of control, bowl games have become nothing more than an exhibition game for the following season.

And every time they make another change, you get the usual suspects, especially those in the media, who froth at the mouth telling everyone how it's "going to be better" and how the playoff will fix things and that bowls were stupid and traditions are stupid and just shut up and watch.

And so here we are. Conference championship games don't matter anymore, conferences don't even matter any more (Stanford in the freaking ACC?), bowl games don't matter anymore, players sit out for bowls, hell, they sit out BEFORE bowls some years, even if they're good years, and for that matter, having a good year doesn't matter anymore, it's all been thrown in the garbage so people can fall on their knees and worship the almighty College Football Playoff. You either make the playoff or you're a piece of trash. That's College Football (tm) now. It's an ugly, distended shell of what it once was.

Which of course is exactly how the sports networks wanted it. They couldn't control the bowl games. They couldn't dictate terms back when the Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, Rose, and Cotton Bowls called the shots. The sports networked hated that. They didn't have the power. Couldn't dictate to the bowls or the schools. Ah - but they could get around all that by buying out the teams themselves - and once they did, they had all the power and could trash the whole system for their little puppet playoff. The Playoff is theirs. They own it, and by controlling the playoff, they own the sport as it currently exists. The bowls, which they do not own, are relics of the past, and ESPN / FOX / all of them don't really care one way or the other what happens to them.

Last edited:
I’m reaching the point where I don’t really care anymore
I’m the same. I’m not sure if it just comes with age or not. I hate losing good players, but I never sweat it when one leaves. Not that guys like this aren’t valued by me, I just ride with whoever is in an orange uniform come August . I don’t get attached to these guys anymore. Again, I don’t want to minimize anyone’s contributions, but I never see as any player as irreplaceable. Will players who transfer be replaced with better players, I can’t say, but players are all over the portal now. It’s a new day.

Revoke his scholarship, take every single piece of UT property that he has and send his ass to walking.
Same with Slaughter and all the others who choose money and material goods over loyalty to the University that gave them every chance to play ball while earning a degree and enabled them to live like kings the whole time.
I’m tired of the greed, the “what have you done for me lately” attitude, the way this flippant behavior is trashing a sport that has done so much for so many.
I had an old Staff Sergeant tell me “the grass is always greener….over the $&@%# septic tank”
I hope they learn that lesson and learn it hard.
I will support young men and women who CHOOSE to play for the University of Tennessee for the right reasons.
Go Big Orange

Just like the last time he did this, Baron probably just wants more NIL money. I suspect he will get it from Spyre Sports Group and return to Tennessee .... again. Baron is just working the system. It's the new normal in college athletics.
That's sickening. I hope they don't let him come back if he tries.

Reactions: tbh and Rocky Top T
So the SEC strikes a THREE BILLION DOLLAR deal with ESPN and that's not a problem.

Players are looking for money and "I'm going to drop the sport because it's all about money."

VN never ceases to amaze.
Holding your team and your supposed brothers hostage just so you can make a little bit of money is sickening. Hope he leaves and never comes back.

Reactions: GiveHim6InSC
Holding your team and your supposed brothers hostage just so you can make a little bit of money is sickening. Hope he leaves and never comes back.
Hostage? Drama much? Hostage?

Since Heupel and/or UT has removed him from the roster online, I suspect this came as no surprise to anyone on the team.

The current scenario that he's "shaking down" Spyre for more money is all guessing. Once someone mentioned he'd already been deleted from the roster I assumed Baron and UT had made their choices.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I
Just like the last time he did this, Baron probably just wants more NIL money. I suspect he will get it from Spyre Sports Group and return to Tennessee .... again. Baron is just working the system. It's the new normal in college athletics.
Im sure you’re right. We will see soon enough

I’m the same. I’m not sure if it just comes with age or not. I hate losing good players, but I never sweat it when one leaves. Not that guys like this aren’t valued by me, I just ride with whoever is in an orange uniform come August . I don’t get attached to these guys anymore. Again, I don’t want to minimize anyone’s contributions, but I never see as any player as irreplaceable. Will players who transfer be replaced with better players, I can’t say, but players are all over the portal now. It’s a new day.
It seems like this is how we need to react now if we’re going to still follow the program

Reactions: OrangeInKy
If we have to break in some of these younger players in the secondary and on the defensive line, this is a good game to do it. We are facing an offense that isn’t very good in a game that isn’t as important as a conference game. They can get extended playing time and get ready to have a good spring. It should give them a good start towards next season.

Second time he has done this. Keeps looking for a better deal somewhere else. Maybe time to move on
We could really use him next year .... but if he does transfer? Fine. Whatever. He is not some irreplaceable pass rusher. It's hard not to get the feeling that he thinks he's better than he really is.

Hostage? Drama much? Hostage?

Since Heupel and/or UT has removed him from the roster online, I suspect this came as no surprise to anyone on the team.

The current scenario that he's "shaking down" Spyre for more money is all guessing. Once someone mentioned he'd already been deleted from the roster I assumed Baron and UT had made their choices.
He did it last year and he's attempting it again. Trying to suck money out of spyre. Good riddance. Hope he goes to Alabama so he can be on my list with Henry.

Pony up with a big designated check to SPYRE and YOU can make it happen.
Already make contributions to Volunteer Club. Not a ton but it would make a material impact if we all did. Our AD needs to find a way to channel booster money into NIL

Wants a bigger bag probably. This is what CFB is now. How long will the fans stay interested?
It is very sad. One thing the transfer portal will hurt these kids is the networking that becomes available for them when they do remain loyal to a university. I think moving around multiple times will end up hurting the ones that don’t hit it big in the NFL. The opportunities that come from not just a paid for education but the additional help the university can provide opens up a lot of opportunities to the kids for the rest of their lives.

VN Store

Back