Tyson Helton is our 2 milli a year OC and..

Give it a rest. 1st year. Fubar program. Learning curve. Improvements. Set backs. Improvements. Shock reverbs from real ****ing coaches. Poorly evaluated recruiting. Buy in. Results. Fire no one!

Reactions: SlipKidVol
Give it a rest. 1st year. Fubar program. Learning curve. Improvements. Set backs. Improvements. Shock reverbs from real ****ing coaches. Poorly evaluated recruiting. Buy in. Results. Fire no one!
Actually... Good post.

It's been a helluva year. And these curves have been coaching their arses off.

Reactions: amorange
Part of the issue with play calling earlier is that he had no idea how each player would perform under game pressure. Good on good on Haslam Field certainly isn't the same. The O coaches now have a good idea that our OL and or RBs can't block some plays; which WRs will not short arm balls across the middle; etc. The learning curve should be pretty good now.

Fortunately, don't have to start from scratch in '19, so more progress can be made sooner.

I don't think I would go that far just yet.
I can say he took a good a-- eating from CJP after one really bone headed call he made. About the same quality of chewing CJP gave Osborn for trying to pitch the ball at end of the game.

can’t blame the kid. i think they were offering free chick fila if we scored off an INT.

I'm not sold on Helton, long term. He has developed JG. His play calling is improving, much like our team. But, we'll see what happens next year. A good showing by the O against Mizz and Candy would do worlds for my opinion of him.

What a difference a week makes. Last week it was perhaps the most inept offensive performance in a decade, this week he's top 3 in the nation.

There have been 2 games where the OL actually did their jobs. Auburn and Kentucky. Both teams were ranked, had very good defenses and our offense looked very good. Hmmm, talk about coincidences.

I think all the coaches need the time to get their people recruited. Today was a good day just like Auburn. Helton is going t have to develop an intermediate passing game. Not just behind the line and long ball passes...Got to develop some good 10/15 yd passing plays. So I say give all the coaches time. Helton got eaten alive when he called that behind the line pass that almost was intercepted.
The second receiver is supposed to block and prevent the int.

I agree. I've been a fan pf JGs toughness since he took his first snap. Just watching the kid grow has been beautiful. He was stepping up in the pocket, going through his check downs, just really looking like he could actually read a defense. Not like the past when he'd focus on his hot route, hold the ball, and get killed. I know a lot of that is on poor O line play but you can tell JG has been in the film room. A higher IQ really opens it up more for Helton.

I think Helton would be more appreciated if we had a group of guys that could run his schemes. I simply think, he refuses to change his play calling to suit the capabilities of the OL. While this approach hasn't produced much prior to the KY game, it will pay dividends in the long run.

Reactions: peerless98
the change in the offense from the first of the year until now has been unbelievable. Cannot be anything less than pleased

Reactions: UTNoFear
Lol...we have the 119th ranked offense out of 129 teams. You might want to see a few more "sights" if this is one to "behold".

Reactions: papatomany
Lol...we have the 119th ranked offense out of 129 teams. You might want to see a few more "sights" if this is one to "behold".

Dude, it's called being a fan.

It's like this: your daughter might be butt-ugly (and given your personality, she probably is because her mom is probably butt-ugly). But on the day she gets dressed up to go to the prom, she looks as beautiful as you've ever seen her. You say she's a sight to behold, and you mean it, and it's true for you, even if she's still not gonna come close to competing in any beauty contests.

Some of our fans just don't seem to know how to be fans.

LOL This is still the same guy half of you wanted fired last week. This place is crazy. That is why all the negative stuff bothers me. If you truly think someone sucks, stay with it. Sheesh.
I for one think he may turn out to be a great OC, given the right talent level. Listen, we all need to give this staff a chance to do their thing and learn. No one is perfect. We all make mistakes. I do believe this staff is giving it 100% to make us great again. Like I said last week. I feel like we looked past Charlotte last week and we rested players as much as we could.
Pruitt has respect for other Teams and their staff, so he is not going to say, We took it easy this week because we knew we could beat Charlotte with an average game and worked on KY coming up next week. If you have ever played sports you know this stuff happens. It isn't talked about in public but it happens.

I couldn’t think of anyone I’m trading him for. His scheming and QB development this season has been a sight to behold. Next season this offense explodes

He fixed it. Called a good game. Started off the season with some very questionable vanilla stuff. But now we are finally utilizing our receivers skill and height. We should have done that all season, 2-3 seconds release deep or throw away. Opens up the run game.

But did you see Pruitt getting into his ass before half with that quick out call on our 20 yd line, where it was almost a pick-6 for KY?? Hahaha! Yeah, Pruitt is a bad dude running a tight ship! He then played conservative ran up the middle, got a big gain, then threw it down the freaking field!

You could be right. Helton was conservative (a screen is not an aggressive attack downfield). So the butt-chewing could've been about trying to win, or it could've been about avoiding a turnover. We'll probably never know which.
I bet my money that CJP was thinking the same thing I was—-that could of been a pick 6

What a difference a week makes. Last week it was perhaps the most inept offensive performance in a decade, this week he's top 3 in the nation.

Actually last week against SCAR wasn't that bad. Just couldn't run the ball and put the game away when we had the lead. If you want to see what a great SEC offense does to put a game away watch what Bama did late against MSU. No points but just ate up the whole 4th quarter clock. It looked like the football equivalent of UNC's 4 corner offense from back in the day. You can't score without the ball and you ain't getting it back. For us "5 yards and a cloud of dust" guys it was a thing of beauty.

I bet my money that CJP was thinking the same thing I was—-that could of been a pick 6

Yes it could have been a pick 6 but that was less about the play call than the execution. JG needs to throw that down hard at Jennings feet and play another snap. Helton was just closer than JG so he got it. I'm sure when they review the video there will be some "educational" words for our starting QB. :)

I don't think I would go that far just yet.
I can say he took a good a-- eating from CJP after one really bone headed call he made. About the same quality of chewing CJP gave Osborn for trying to pitch the ball at end of the game.

You saw those, too. He was really on both Helton and Osborne. That lateral screen call could have been a pick 6 if JG had not overthrown our guy and the defender.

I think the whole staff is darn good but Helton has schemed some excellent games. They basically tried to bluff through the Charlotte game without Jennings and Chandler and it was a snoozer. Charlotte got manhandled yesterday by Marshall. The first year staff implementing a new offense has been impressive. The KY game in front of a boatload of key recruits may pay dividends for a long time. Give Helton and his staff more depth and their own draft picks and the Vol offense will be fine for a long time.

I haven't been impressed this year from a play calling perspective. First half of SC has been his best game so far. Are there limitations on offense? Absolutely. For that I think he'll be here for 3 at least.

VN Store

Back