Uniforms - Back in Black (merged)

I’m not locked in on any certain color combo. I have more pressing issues in life. However, any combo/color scheme that interferes with “seeing” the players number does interfere with my enjoyment of the game. Maybe I’m odd but I follow the game that closely.

I can't remember when, maybe 30 years ago (??), the numbers on our orange jersey's were difficult to see on TV. Because of that...and I think it was the TV carriers that requested it...they added black lines at the edges to the numbers to make them more visible.

Reactions: tennrich1
The guy on the drive that sounds like he smokes 3 packs a day and pounds 10 monster drinks a day says he heard that there will be black helmets.
Should do a mirror finish helmet and face shield. That should screw em up.

I can't remember when, maybe 30 years ago (??), the numbers on our orange jersey's were difficult to see on TV. Because of that...and I think it was the TV carriers that requested it...they added black lines at the edges to the numbers to make them more visible.
I recall " whoa Nellie" Keith Jackson whining incessantly about not being able to read the numbers. ;)

Some of you grey-haired fun police act like if we wore Orange & White it would increase our chances of winning. I keep hearing the dumb argument that we lose in alternate jerseys a lot, but how many times in the past 15 years has Georgia, Florida, and Alabama curb-stomped us in our traditional uniforms? Way too many to count. We actually think wearing alternate uniforms is some curse that reduces our chances to win?

Well I'm one of the grey hairs and speaking for myself your assumption is incorrect.

This alternate uniform thing is a recent development begun and propagated by Phil Knight ( Nike). He gives hundreds of millions of dollars to U of Oregon and (I'm guessing) has some control over what they do. It's a fact that he wanted them to use alternate uniforms because he thought it would enhance their recruiting....and it might have. Shortly after that the alternate ( mainly black) uniform craze started and has been used primarily by the wanna be's.

I know we haven't had a good record for years but we're not wanna be's.

For Nike it's more millions of dollars because fans buy the black garb. And more millions for Nike means more money for the U of Oregon which competes with all other teams including us for recruits. With the NIL situation Oregon is going to be in even better shape than they are now.

But that's not the main reason I'm against the black. I think the orange jersey and white pants combination is the best looking uniform in college football. The shade of orange is unique which makes it even more appealing. It used to be that a person that knows football could walk into a bar and see UT on TV from a great distance and know who it was because of the unique shade of orange. With black uniforms that doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrangler
Well I'm one of the grey hairs and speaking for myself your assumption is incorrect.

This alternate uniform thing is a recent development begun and propagated by Phil Knight ( Nike). He gives hundreds of millions of dollars to U of Oregon and (I'm guessing) has some control over what they do. It's a fact that he wanted them to use alternate uniforms because he thought it would enhance their recruiting....and it might have. Shortly after that the alternate ( mainly black) uniform craze started and has been used primarily by the wanna be's.

I know we haven't had a good record for years but we're not wanna be's.

For Nike it's more millions of dollars because fans buy the black garb. And more millions for Nike means more money for the U of Oregon who competes with all other teams including us for recruits. With the NIL situation Oregon is going to be in even better shape than they are now.

But that's not the main reason I'm against the black. I think the orange jersey and white pants combination is the best looking uniform in college football. The shade of orange is unique which makes it even more appealing. It used to be that a person that knows football could walk into a bar and see UT on TV from a great distance and know who it was because of the unique shade of orange. With black uniforms that doesn't happen.

Well, the good news is Tennessee will have worn the classic Orange and White for 6 of their 8 home games this year when the dust settles, so there will be plenty of chances someone can walk into a bar and notice that shade of Orange in the scenario you laid out.

I don't think we're trying to "be a wanna be" as you put it for mixing it up. Right now, our program can use every bit of juice and excitement possible. We haven't won anything of merit since 2007, so if the team comes to Heupel and asks to wear a black jersey, I'm not going to complain. It still looks really cool, and it shows that Heupel cares about the happiness and desires of his players.

Also, it doesn't hurt that Walter Nolen thinks that black jerseys are awesome, and he'll get a chance to see them in-person for himself this weekend.

Well, the good news is Tennessee will have worn the classic Orange and White for 6 of their 8 home games this year when the dust settles, so there will be plenty of chances someone can walk into a bar and notice that shade of Orange in the scenario you laid out.

I don't think we're trying to "be a wanna be" as you put it for mixing it up. Right now, our program can use every bit of juice and excitement possible. We haven't won anything of merit since 2007, so if the team comes to Heupel and asks to wear a black jersey, I'm not going to complain. It still looks really cool, and it shows that Heupel cares about the happiness and desires of his players.

Also, it doesn't hurt that Walter Nolen thinks that black jerseys are awesome, and he'll get a chance to see them in-person for himself this weekend.

Understand. And if it helps player morale and recruiting in the short term I'll be happy.

But the orange jersey and white pants will always be my favorite uniform because of the way they look. Nothing comes close.

Understand. And if it helps player morale and recruiting in the short term I'll be happy.

But the orange jersey and white pants will always be my favorite uniform because of the way they look. Nothing comes close.

I'm going to make an assumption here that everyone on this board would say the Orange and White combo is their favorite uniform, too. We get 12-13 games a year, so I personally don't mind if 1-2 of them are alternate jerseys.

lol oh no the rest of the SEC laughs at us....

who cares, we make fun of bama and gators and their fans all the time. Besides, only the big 3 can truly poke fun at us, the mizzu's, gamecocks, kentucky, vandy, etc can't say **** about anyone at the moment.

Isn't it ironic the schools that we used to make fun of for cute uniforms and lame gimmicks to hype an irrelevant program is exactly what we are now doing to be "cool and innovative." Its almost like when the Kentuckys of the world do it and we laugh at how pathetic they are but when we do the same thing years after them when new unis and gimmicks arent new anymore, were the coolest school ever and its not lame at all. Seems oddly hypocritical idk

I'm going to make an assumption here that everyone on this board would say the Orange and White combo is their favorite uniform, too. We get 12-13 games a year, so I personally don't mind if 1-2 of them are alternate jerseys.

I don't mind it either but would prefer if they were used for only one game a year.....a night game and when black isn't one of the opposing team's official colors.

Looks like we are wearing Black out jerseys tomorrow. We shoulda saved those for Vandy it's gonna mess up our record in them. Go all orange.

Looks like we are wearing Black out jerseys tomorrow. We shoulda saved those for Vandy it's gonna mess up our record in them. Go all orange.
Just to be consistent, there are four teams in the SEC that have black as one of their primary colors:
Vandy, Mizzou, USC, and UGA. Not sure why we would wear black against any of them.

Reactions: Zues1

ummm…Walter is committed to TAMU. Would us wearing black flip him? NO
Would us upsetting UGA flip him? Doubtful.
Would Pilot Oil giving him a million dollar NIL contract as their official spokesperson flip him? YES.

VN Store

Back