Unlike the last three coaches, the more I see of Pruitt the better I feel

I realize we’ve agreed on a few points, I was just quoting Star Wars in humor.

However, you keep engaging my posts and implying things I haven’t communicated so I have to to reiterate the message. I don’t want to fire Pruitt. Mullen was a better choice, and we could have landed someone even more successful than Mullen, but that’s been debated ad nauseam. Most here have convinced themselves that Pruitt was the #1 college football hire so there’s no way to persuade them otherwise. That ship has sailed.

If someone posts a silly opinion it’s OK for me to disagree and call it silly. It’s silly to be concerned about Pruitt leaving before even one game has been played. Especially after we’ve done the same exact thing for 2 of the worst coaches in UT history. Maybe we should wait a minute before going through it again. Maybe it will help with the karma/curse/pit of misery we’re experiencing.

Forums are for discussions. Fandom doesn’t mean we all agree about everything otherwise we’re not fans, or maybe I missed that in the VolNation user agreement all those years ago.

Coordinators succeed... and fail. We don't know what Pruitt is until he proves it.

We knew A LOT about Jones before he took the job. His performance and end were predictable... many just didn't want to hear it.

Reactions: 3 people
If he does a good enough job to be the next in line to follow the most successful HC in CFB history, I will take it !

The coach that immediately follows Saban is basically guaranteed to fail. Alabama fans have become so accustomed to either being in or winning a title every year that when the coach can't replicate that success, they will run him out of town.

Last edited:
Depends. If Saban leaves in 2-3 years and Pruitt is winning SECE and challenging Bama, then maybe he leaves to the still better program. If saban waits 5 years, and Pruitt is contending for NCs by then, no way he leaves. Problem is, if he comes in after Saban, it is very difficult to establish his own legacy. It was the same here after Fulmer, the shadow was very large. Now enough time has passed that he can be his own man, even tho CPF is AD.

Thats exactly right. IF YOU ARE SMART, AND IF YOU HAVE ANY CHOICE IN THE MATTER, YOU NEVER EVER FOLLOW A LEGEND.

The only way you might is if you own an overlarge ego or if you consider the legend overrated. You think anyone considers Saban overrated.

Generally you want low hanging fruit when you take a position like that.

There really isnt any at Bama. The fans expectations at this point are the most ridiculous and out of square in all of sports.

They are unhappy with any losses, period. Bama fans have cultivated a "we should never lose" mentality, they currently expect way too much from Saban. A football win is like a couch in a living room at this point.

The next guy is doomed from the get go. And nobody wants that job. Not Dabo, Nobody.

I really need coach Pruitt to be the guy to lead our beloved vols back to prominence. I'm getting too old too quickly to endure another round of coaching hires and failures.

Same for most of us. As for CJP replacing Saban at some point: Aside for being simply moot at this uber-early juncture, Dabo's clearly the logical heir apparent, with Kirby leaning closer that way. As long as Phil's the AD (And may he remain there for a long, long time), CJP's in one of the best coaching spots anywhere. I sure hope he DOES garner bama's attention to such a high degree. Now. On to the 2018 season. May it bring lots of big orange smiles.

Reactions: 1 person
He will get us to the playoffs. He will beat Mullen, Muschamp, and Smart. When he does win championships here, Philip Fulmer will know what to do. Give him raises to keep him here. He has gotten the guys he wants for this year to start winning. He is already getting his guys set up for 2019. The ones that are here now, is getting bigger, stronger, and more physical. I wouldn’t be surprised to to see a physical team come Sept 1st. I also think that by weeks 2 and 3, we will be even more ready for the SEC and Florida. There is just something about this good feeling that I have coming right out of the bat this season. Yes, I read where someone called me an idiot for predicting 10 and 2 this year, and I feel it can be accomplished. I don’t know about you, but there is something good in the air this year, and it is setting up for some big surprises. Could be a special year, and we could be a Cinderella team, that no one is expecting. I’ve said it before, if I’m wrong, you can bash me for the rest of the year. I won’t run. I’ll take my lumps. 💥👍😇

Reactions: 2 people
I wonder what Pruitt and Fulmer's relationship looks like behind the scenes. I'm sure Pruitt despised Fulmer. Now Fulmer would be instrumental in keeping him, should he be successful.

I think the cornbread gif is probably a bigger positive to the program than the last three coaches combined.

Despite being a big Fulmer fan, I was decidedly unimpressed with the Pruitt hire. But by this time in their tenure Coach Freshwater and delivered the Pahokee Package, Dooley had washed us with Showergate and Butch was the ringleader in his circus of cliches. The flush of initial optimism (except Kiffin which was always going to end in disaster) once they reached campus, Stooley and Botch from the start were metriculating to the status of former head coaches in my eyes.

Maybe I started from from a different place with Pruitt but it's different this time. His "I will confront them" after the Orange and White Game is just light years from "Looking for Rommel" or 366, bricks, Life Champions. Recruiting looks poised in the right direction. I have more confidence the team will be SEC ready.

We got to see what happens on Fall Saturdays but for the first time in a decade a coach is not disappointing me moments after he arrives on campus.

Volhalen I understand and appreciate your feelings- I'm cautiously moving that way- but I gotta admit your post was hard to read- almost every line felt like you were trying as hard as you can to have an inside joke or inside vol quotes. I was worn out trying to remember what each line was related too :) haha... all in good fun man. I'm happy we have some folks excited again. I know I am.

I realize we’ve agreed on a few points, I was just quoting Star Wars in humor.

However, you keep engaging my posts and implying things I haven’t communicated so I have to to reiterate the message. I don’t want to fire Pruitt. Mullen was a better choice, and we could have landed someone even more successful than Mullen, but that’s been debated ad nauseam. Most here have convinced themselves that Pruitt was the #1 college football hire so there’s no way to persuade them otherwise. That ship has sailed.

If someone posts a silly opinion it’s OK for me to disagree and call it silly. It’s silly to be concerned about Pruitt leaving before even one game has been played. Especially after we’ve done the same exact thing for 2 of the worst coaches in UT history. Maybe we should wait a minute before going through it again. Maybe it will help with the karma/curse/pit of misery we’re experiencing.

Forums are for discussions. Fandom doesn’t mean we all agree about everything otherwise we’re not fans, or maybe I missed that in the VolNation user agreement all those years ago.

Star Wars sucks IMO so I didn't get it.

I keep engaging you because, just like you said above "if someone posts a silly opinion its OK for me to call it silly". I think you're silly calling out people talking about Bama stealing Pruitt before he ever coaches a game, in the same conversation you're talking about replacing him and should have never hired him in the first place.....before he's coached His first game. I mean, can't you see? (Marshall Tucker reference).

Thanks for the message board edumacation.

Coordinators succeed... and fail. We don't know what Pruitt is until he proves it.

We knew A LOT about Jones before he took the job. His performance and end were predictable... many just didn't want to hear it.

His offensive game plans were predictable. That’s why he kept losing and ended up getting fired.

I didn’t want to hear that a person getting paid the big bucks wasn’t willing to change.

All I ever wanted was a full season of either bowl games type performance or the 2nd half of the 2016 Fl game.

Seems Butch had us so close but wasn’t willing to give up his strangle hold on the team.

It’s funny hearing all the opinions about Jeremy going to Bama, staying, etc. Trust me these guys see this as a job and ALL THE SOAP OPERA DRAMA we want to inject into it just isn’t a factor AT ALL. As for Jeremy running to Bama...THE NEXT COACH AT ALABAMA WILL BE DOOMED FROM THE START FOLLOWING A LEGEND....happens almost exclusively when following someone who’s been as successful as Nick has been. No reason to assume it won’t happen at Bama. They’ll be victims of their own success. It happens far more times than not..

OP, I agree with you. The one thing I am concerned about is UT is not a place for on the job training. I think Pruitt is going to make a fine coach for us in the future but I believe its going to take some time to learn the ins and outs of the job. I hope im wrong and he wins a natty in the next couple of years.

But, he has an ace in the hole.... Fulmer.

Pruitt might be Bama through and through but he might have enough sense to know that he will be following one of the greatest coaches ever and he knows that the fans base will not be happy with a 6-6 season and would be fired in a year. I dont think those clowns would give him 2 years to keep the ball rolling. But if Bama hired him then that means Tennessee is back to being Tennessee.

As an example to your first sentence. How bout following Wooten, Bear, W.Hayes, and others, and oh by the way, Pat Summit.....

Last edited:
After the last 10 years...I’m still on a “wait and see results” mode...for ANYONE taking the helm of Tennessee Football. I could pull up similar threads to this after both Dooley and Butch’s hire...

I’ll be in Charlotte...like I was in Atlanta at the beginning of last year, wanting to see it on the field. I left ATL last year with grave concerns after that squeaker against GTech.

It's been wait and see since 2001

Thats exactly right. IF YOU ARE SMART, AND IF YOU HAVE ANY CHOICE IN THE MATTER, YOU NEVER EVER FOLLOW A LEGEND.

The only way you might is if you own an overlarge ego or if you consider the legend overrated. You think anyone considers Saban overrated.

Generally you want low hanging fruit when you take a position like that.

There really isnt any at Bama. The fans expectations at this point are the most ridiculous and out of square in all of sports.

They are unhappy with any losses, period. Bama fans have cultivated a "we should never lose" mentality, they currently expect way too much from Saban. A football win is like a couch in a living room at this point.

The next guy is doomed from the get go. And nobody wants that job. Not Dabo, Nobody.

Oh there will be that guy you speak of with the overlarge ego.

His offensive game plans were predictable. That’s why he kept losing and ended up getting fired.

I didn’t want to hear that a person getting paid the big bucks wasn’t willing to change.

All I ever wanted was a full season of either bowl games type performance or the 2nd half of the 2016 Fl game.

Seems Butch had us so close but wasn’t willing to give up his strangle hold on the team.

Guessing Dobbs had us closer than Jones. Too many other poor decisions besides game planning.

Doesn't matter. The goal is always a championship and 90+% of coaches will never be "that guy". It's a really safe bet to predict against. But most fans choose to be optimistic and hope the stars align and something clicks.

For some, Jones had the pieces. For others, Kiffin was in the shining armor. And there was even those that were convinced it was Dooley.
You don't make the hires and hope is all everyone else has.

ALL of us have chosen to believe at 1 time or another and been wrong. Some just do a better job keeping that in mind.

I wonder what Pruitt and Fulmer's relationship looks like behind the scenes. I'm sure Pruitt despised Fulmer. Now Fulmer would be instrumental in keeping him, should he be successful.

Yeah I never thought about that between fulmer and Pruitt. That'd be like working under Spurrier for us.

Coach Pruitt is our coach right and I'm gonna try to enjoy the time he's with us and I'll be glad when the season starts...:)

GO VOLS!

Too harsh? Lol, I almost deleted it, but at least I said in my opinion.

I'm just not a Star Wars fan and didn't get the reference.

I’m thinking of starting a thread in the FF for unique stuff to hate on. Just so we can hate on the haters misguided hatred.

Guessing Dobbs had us closer than Jones. Too many other poor decisions besides game planning.

Doesn't matter. The goal is always a championship and 90+% of coaches will never be "that guy". It's a really safe bet to predict against. But most fans choose to be optimistic and hope the stars align and something clicks.

For some, Jones had the pieces. For others, Kiffin was in the shining armor. And there was even those that were convinced it was Dooley.
You don't make the hires and hope is all everyone else has.

ALL of us have chosen to believe at 1 time or another and been wrong. Some just do a better job keeping that in mind.

Total package. Butch flipped him late from Az. Dobbs certainly was able to shine under less than desirable circumstances.

With the resources available to the HC at UT, it’s their own fault for not being able to succeed(Defined as winning the East, then the SEC, making the playoffs, winning it all.).

Butch had an anger management issue or a repeat for others issue. The way he treated the refs is the same way he treated the players behind closed doors(According to my reliable source.).

IMO, Butch was a good guy and worked fairly hard while at UT. However, he was VERY one dimensional. It seemed like one game plan for all. Very few if any adjustments were made during the game. His offense schemes were just BAD. Plus, he made players fit his scheme period. He would NEVER adjust to take advantage of the strengths of the players.

If you wonder what happens behind the scenes, how can you be sure Pruitt despises Fulmer. Makes no sense to me. Pruitt, let's see what he can do. So far, it's been all talk just like the past 3 "coaches". I think many fans are like me. We're past the talk and looking for the walk. It's been 10 long years.

VN Store

Back