Unsung Iowa players who may make a difference

BrewHawk

If Iowa wants to have a reasonable outcome in this game, these are the players not everyone is aware of who I think will need to have their name called more than once on Monday.

1. Joe Evans (#13)- the relatively small DE who might spend a decent amount of time in your backfield.

2. Xavier Nwankpa (#1)- Safety who has been playing with a broken thumb, but now healthy. Only a true sophomore, but highly regarded recruit.

3. Aaron Graves (#95)- At DT, another young player (true soph) who has tremendous upside. Iowa goes 2-deep across the DL, so no depth issues there.

4. Seth Anderson (#6)- WR who is the son of Willie "Flipper" Anderson. Transferred in from Charleston Southern. Just waiting for him to have a breakout game.

5. Kaden Wetjen (#21)- Iowa will likely need a special teams play this game to have a chance. This kid is the one to make the play if it happens. Also, a jet sweep if he's in the game on offense.

I'm still not very optimistic about our chances, but hope springs eternal. Iowa's defense really flies to the ball as a group, so if they're feeling stressed by UT's speed, I could see you guys running a few misdirected trick plays to take advantage of over-pursuit. The backside player will likely be in position, but not able to make the play if there's too much open space. Iowa has to make the first tackle on the WRs/RBs. Too many broken tackles will be an indicator that we're outmatched.

Our OL has shown improvement in run-blocking, but the jury is still out on pass protection. IF we can get any semblance of a run game going, we'll have a good chance. Not sure that can happen, as I expect Tennessee to load up the LOS. One of my criticisms of Brian Ferentz is that he gives up on the run game too quickly and gets pass happy. I like to think of offensive balance to consist of being able to do both depending on what your opponent's defense allows. His idea of balance is an equal number of running and passing attempts. Drives me nuts.

Good post Brew. If I'm honest, I don't think any of us know how this game is going to go. We definitely have the speed but don't break many tackles in the passing game, plus we are introducing a true freshmen QB (albeit he is supposed to be really good). RB Sampson...now he breaks tackles and young Cam Seldon looks like he will do the same. If we can shutdown your run game early and you guys go pass happy as you predict, we are severely depleted in the secondary so that might work in your favor. I think the key to an Iowa victory would be to disrupt our offense a little bit to get in our heads and sustain very long boring drives on offense that wear down our defense (that hasn't happened much this season for you). If we find a rhythm, we will score fast and often but with the youth that will be in the game, I'm not sure they won't get frustrated if knocked off balance a few times.

Vols 34 Iowa 17

Not following.
hes trying to say Nico is going to give them the David Amerson treatment. Dude was considered a 1st round DB back in 2012. 1st game of the season Tyler Bray threw for almost 330 yards and 2 Tds on that 1 DB. We roasted him all night. After that game i dont even know if the kid got drafted at the end of the season. IM not saying this will happen, but that is what the poster is implying.

Reactions: FBtime and volmanjr
hes trying to say Nico is going to give them the David Amerson treatment. Dude was considered a 1st round DB back in 2012. 1st game of the season Tyler Bray threw for almost 330 yards and 2 Tds on that 1 DB. We roasted him all night. After that game i dont even know if the kid got drafted at the end of the season. IM not saying this will happen, but that is what the poster is implying.
Gotcha.

Nwankpa and Graves are future All-Americans and will be high-round NFL draft picks, so much more to hear from them in the future.

If Iowa wants to have a reasonable outcome in this game, these are the players not everyone is aware of who I think will need to have their name called more than once on Monday.

1. Joe Evans (#13)- the relatively small DE who might spend a decent amount of time in your backfield.

2. Xavier Nwankpa (#1)- Safety who has been playing with a broken thumb, but now healthy. Only a true sophomore, but highly regarded recruit.

3. Aaron Graves (#95)- At DT, another young player (true soph) who has tremendous upside. Iowa goes 2-deep across the DL, so no depth issues there.

4. Seth Anderson (#6)- WR who is the son of Willie "Flipper" Anderson. Transferred in from Charleston Southern. Just waiting for him to have a breakout game.

5. Kaden Wetjen (#21)- Iowa will likely need a special teams play this game to have a chance. This kid is the one to make the play if it happens. Also, a jet sweep if he's in the game on offense.

I'm still not very optimistic about our chances, but hope springs eternal. Iowa's defense really flies to the ball as a group, so if they're feeling stressed by UT's speed, I could see you guys running a few misdirected trick plays to take advantage of over-pursuit. The backside player will likely be in position, but not able to make the play if there's too much open space. Iowa has to make the first tackle on the WRs/RBs. Too many broken tackles will be an indicator that we're outmatched.

Our OL has shown improvement in run-blocking, but the jury is still out on pass protection. IF we can get any semblance of a run game going, we'll have a good chance. Not sure that can happen, as I expect Tennessee to load up the LOS. One of my criticisms of Brian Ferentz is that he gives up on the run game too quickly and gets pass happy. I like to think of offensive balance to consist of being able to do both depending on what your opponent's defense allows. His idea of balance is an equal number of running and passing attempts. Drives me nuts.

How well did your tight ends play this season?

Iowa has had Hockenstein and LaPorta play well in the pros.

Thanks very much for this. It will make watching the game a lot more enjoyable having some backstory to some players we might not be that acquainted with. I was personally, from the games i'd seen, thinking brown wr#3 was the guy to look out for on offense. As far as xfactors.

I thought Bray and Patterson had dun broke him, but Amerson went in the second round.

Thanks very much for this. It will make watching the game a lot more enjoyable having some backstory to some players we might not be that acquainted with. I was personally, from the games i'd seen, thinking brown wr#3 was the guy to look out for on offense. As far as xfactors.
Only if the QB can get him the ball. He has come on the last few games of the season.

We lost the top two guys to season ending injures early. They will be in the NFL eventually. The #3 and 4 have been serviceable.

Please don't forget George Kittle and Noah Fant.
Tight ends will always be a thing at Iowa and a problem fir our defense in most cases. My thoughts about this is because of your limitations at QB and WR covering passes over the middle, a big weakness of our defense historically, is less of an issue since we know youre going there..where else are you going? I have not watched every Iowa game but I have watched a lot this year. Your offense goes up the middle almost exclusively. Runs are inside the tackles..i dont see a lot of east-west. Passes are hooks and comebacks or across the middle. We can cover that.

UT fans here are freaking out because our linebackers and secondary get ate up across the middle regularly. They forget uts because we are worried about getting beat deep and on the edge. If linebackers dont have those worries....they look a lot better. We have what to a lot of us, a few guys that are slow and non athletic at safety and linebacker. That is because we are used to SEC defenses. The guys you see our fans saying are slow are faster than your guys. Tank, Turrentine, Herring are fast big 10 defensive players. In the SEC we thing they are slow. I say we but i do not agree because i understand what context is.

Trust me after this game in the post mortem youre gonna hear iowa players saying fast and athletic a lot. They will use that comparison to at least one of those 3 names i mentioned. Those are guys our dams consider slow unathletic and unable to cover. They'd be some of the fastest and most athletic at their positions in your 2 deep. Context is crucial. Looking at games most of your linebackers are like 4.8 guys with a few in the 4.7 range. Fans here expect that from DTs. Good respectable SEC Linebackers are 4.6 or better (crazy huh?). Not a fact but thats the expectation here by the fanbase.

Amerson played for the Detroit Lions

We lost the top two guys to season ending injures early. They will be in the NFL eventually. The #3 and 4 have been serviceable.

Please don't forget George Kittle and Noah Fant.
You guys have been Tight End U in recent years.

Oh not according to him šŸ˜‚

VN Store

Back