Update on why Sampson didn't play?

TheVolunteer002

I was just foolin' about
Any news on why he didn't play? I haven't seen anything about an injury, and that makes me uneasy. He's been so productive for us.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Any news on why he didn't play? I haven't seen anything about an injury, and that makes me uneasy. He's been so productive for us.
I wish I knew. Listened to a couple of hours of Basilio's post game show last night, didn't hear any mention of it. It's odd. He's probably our most explosive RB, great catching and running out of the backfield. I just don't get it.

I wish I knew. Listened to a couple of hours of Basilio's post game show last night, didn't hear any mention of it. It's odd. He's probably our most explosive RB, great catching and running out of the backfield. I just don't get it.

He was the other player that didn’t play. Sampson , Slaughter and Mincey. I know about Mincey but the other two always play. Slaughter is our best corner.

Strange.

I can't link to it because I don't use Instagram, but apparently Sampson has a photo of a cheetah in a cage. Make of that what you will.

Edit: someone posted it in another thread. My mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: VAVol85
He was the other player that didn’t play. Sampson , Slaughter and Mincey. I know about Mincey but the other two always play. Slaughter is our best corner.

Strange.
I don't know for sure, but someone posted that Slaughter was a suspension along with Mincey. I did not hear Sampson's name mentioned as far as that was concerned.

I don't know for sure, but someone posted that Slaughter was a suspension along with Mincey. I did not hear Sampson's name mentioned as far as that was concerned.

My son is friends w some of the walk ins and they watch the away games together at the fraternity house. I will see if he wants to let me know.

Geez. Stay home and relax the nt before you fly out to Gainesville. No excuses. They are told bit to put themselves in that type of situation. This isn’t Alabama. And I’m sure Heup was told by AD that he had to punish, if true.

Strange.
Mincey cited for simple possession Thu:oops:rsday night. Hope the other 2 players weren't involved also.

Reactions: vol94
Slaughter has a foot injury. Tested in warmups but was a no go.

Mincey played special teams so he was not suspended.

There were limited offensive snaps in the first half so they never had a chance to get Sampson in at that point. Then they were down and I'm sure just went with their top two backs trying to come back. Nothing sinister going on.

Not usually good when it’s this quiet. Usually a coach gets out ahead of these if a player is banged up or disciplined.

Reactions: GiveHim6InSC

There were limited offensive snaps in the first half so they never had a chance to get Sampson in at that point. Then they were down and I'm sure just went with their top two backs trying to come back. Nothing sinister going on.
Why would Mincey only play special teams? I figured they probably liked him better than other options on the O line during offensive series.

It makes zero sense that it was not a discipline issue if he was playing on special teams. Has he regressed that much?

It makes zero sense that it was not a discipline issue if he was playing on special teams. Has he regressed that much?
Does seem curious that he'd even make the trip if he were suspended. Strange situation. Then again, if he has regressed, it just highlights that we've not been so great with our portal evaluations. Need to do a lot better in that regard.

According to Locked on Vawls, Mincey played on PATs even though officially suspended. Anyone else hear this from another source?

Strange.

It was a discipline issue.
I'll trust that. Maybe, just spit balling here, Coach Heupel tried something different after the South Carolina/Jeremy Banks issue.

Banks didn't travel while being disciplined and apparently the locker room had a problem with that issue before the South Carolina game.

Maybe Coach knows the players are sympathetic to Mincey for a really minor weed charge even being a discipline issue so he tried a "semi suspension" and let him travel, be in the locker room, etc.

Just a thought.

Reactions: GiveHim6InSC
No idea except what Heupel said. They preferred Crawford. A suspension would have left him in Knoxville.
With much respect for things you bring to the forum, Larry, Mincey was held out due to repeated curfew problems, and the pot citation. The citation forced Heupel to do something. He was allowed to travel because he has friends and family in Florida. He played special teams to justify him going. They absolutely do not prefer Crawford.

Listening to Basilio this afternoon, when asked about Sampson not playing he said his source said Sampson was highly perturbed that he didn’t get on the field and made it known. Said the coaches still don’t trust him to block, but other than early last season, he seems to have done fine with that. We don’t need this guy, as electric as he is with tons of upside potential, heading to the portal. I just think it’s a colossal failure to not use Sampson in a game where you need a guy that has a legit shot of taking it to the house every time he touches the ball.

Listening to Basilio this afternoon, when asked about Sampson not playing he said his source said Sampson was highly perturbed that he didn’t get on the field and made it known. Said the coaches still don’t trust him to block, but other than early last season, he seems to have done fine with that. We don’t need this guy, as electric as he is with tons of upside potential, heading to the portal. I just think it’s a colossal failure to not use Sampson in a game where you need a guy that has a legit shot of taking it to the house every time he touches the ball.
This staff is overly obsessed with experienced upperclassmen regardless of their playmaking ability (see the secondary). I won't be surprised if he does hit the portal at seasons end. Not sure of the rules, but I think he can still claim a redshirt? The other thing I question is how you sell "early playing time" on the recruiting trail? It's absolutely mind blowing to see how the air around this program has changed from the Clemson bowl game to this moment. From the top of the world to the depths of hades in 8 short months.

With much respect for things you bring to the forum, Larry, Mincey was held out due to repeated curfew problems, and the pot citation. The citation forced Heupel to do something. He was allowed to travel because he has friends and family in Florida. He played special teams to justify him going. They absolutely do not prefer Crawford.

I'm not saying they do or did Saturday. Saying that was Heupel's response. Josh has a way of avoiding the right answers to some questions.

I'm sure you're right.

Reactions: Stoerner Fumbles

VN Store

Back