Vols move up to #2

Now, can they handle it? UT has been at or near the top before only to... heck, remember the football season?, Need I say more?
Not sure if you mean by “handle it” that Tennessee won’t lose anymore games but I can tell you Tennessee is going to lose more basketball games this year. The question will be what other teams in the Top 10 do. That will determine our ranking.

Now, can they handle it? UT has been at or near the top before only to... heck, remember the football season?, Need I say more?

It's far from clear to me that our #1 ranking contributed anything at all to our two football losses. In any case, the basketball team's used to playing high profile games on a top-10 team.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Who will lose first, Purdue or UT? Still worried about Ky and Bama. We could play either one of those twice more this season.

Well founded worries. As far as that goes, anyone who gets hot (especially in their house) fits into this worry thought. Case in point Bama verse Ok this past weekend.

Reactions: orangemadam
CRB’s also about to catch Devoe (5) and pass Green (4) with consecutive NCAAT appearances. Devoe had 5 consecutive (1979-1983), Green had 4 (1998-2001), and Bruce had 6 (2006-2011). Barnes might stretch it out to a dozen. 2018, 2019, 2020 (cancelled), 2021, 2022, and 2023. 2024 should be #6 (in 7 years with the COVID skip in 2020). 2024 plus 2025 would be the all time best. His critics about to scream that he wouldn’t have made it in 2020 in 3… 2… 1… (even though that team would have also had an opportunity to get the automatic bid).
It was MUCH harder to get in in Devoe's day; but, other than that, I agree.

Pretty sure, only 48 teams were in the NCAA Tournament when DeVoe had those Dale Ellis led teams. I'm still mystified how we got matched up with Virginia and Ralph Sampson, 2 years in a row

It’s odd that Tony White never played in an NCAAT and neither did Allan Houston. Two of TN’s greatest guards ever. Dyron Nix only played in one NCAAT game in Devoe’s last game.

Devoe had an outstanding beginning, 5 straight NCAATs (TN’s first win and the first Sweet 16 (not counting the bye in 1967 putting TN straight into the S16)) but he then faded over the rest of his career. He refused or was unable to adjust to the 3-point shot, the shot clock, and highly rated recruits that didn’t care for his drill instructor level of discipline.

Reactions: Volfan1000

I welcome correction (I have only one fuzzy memory from the Devoe era), but is it the case that any of Barnes's UT teams that have made the tournament would not have met the criteria for invitation that prevailed during Devoe's tenure? In the last four tournaments, Barnes's teams have been seeded #3, #2, #5, and #3.

It’s odd that Tony White never played in an NCAAT and neither did Allan Houston. Two of TN’s greatest guards ever. Dyron Nix only played in one NCAAT game in Devoe’s last game.

Devoe had an outstanding beginning, 5 straight NCAATs (TN’s first win and the first Sweet 16 (not counting the bye in 1967 putting TN straight into the S16)) but he then faded over the rest of his career. He refused or was unable to adjust to the 3-point shot, the shot clock, and highly rated recruits that didn’t care for his drill instructor level of discipline.
Unfortunately Allen's dad was really nice but that is about all I can say. He really was not able to get recruits here and Allen and Hammer were about it during those years. It was difficult to watch. I remember UT fans/people saying UT would never win bball because the AD and money didn't care. I am so glad that started changing over the years. I say all this in summary to say I am not surprised about those good players not winning as a team. Basically we were lucky to have that 1 great player on the team.

Unfortunately Allen's dad was really nice but that is about all I can say. He really was not able to get recruits here and Allen and Hammer were about it during those years. It was difficult to watch. I remember UT fans/people saying UT would never win bball because the AD and money didn't care. I am so glad that started changing over the years. I say all this in summary to say I am not surprised about those good players not winning as a team. Basically we were lucky to have that 1 great player on the team.

Wade was a great recruiter at Louisville. I always wondered if having Allan on the roster hurt his recruiting at TN. The Press Maravich effect. The team was going to be mostly about promoting and developing his son. Plus Wade was a part time head coach splitting his time between UT BB and his trucking company based out of Louisville. I’d heard that Allan would often run the practices instead of his dad.

Wade was a great recruiter at Louisville. I always wondered if having Allan on the roster hurt his recruiting at TN. The Press Maravich effect. The team was going to be mostly about promoting and developing his son. Plus Wade was a part time head coach splitting his time between UT BB and his trucking company based out of Louisville. I’d heard that Allan would often run the practices instead of his dad.
Wow never heard that about practices. That is wild!

We are the hunted in all the major sports now. Get used to it 😎
I actually want our teams to be ones where when another team wins they storm the court or field and tear down the goal posts. In other words if the other team wins it is their biggest win in years. While if we win it is just expected.

Reactions: VolPack22
Wade and Holly are the same head coach, career good cop to Crum and Pat's bad cop that could recruit. Both looked over their heads at UT. Although, Holly was won a lot more

VN Store

Back