Vols Offensive Gameplan vs Mountaineers

If we motion and stack extra blockers to one side, it will help keep them at a disadvantage. We could catch their DBs off balance by flooding catchers to one side. Also I think a couple direct snaps to a rb with two te or a fb to help lead might consistently catch their LBs out of position.

Running plays that try to tick the defense or catch them out of position sounds a lot like last year to me! Why cant we just use our bigger OL to block their smaller guys and run right them? No need to trick anyone when you are bigger.

So after finally having enough of Butch Jones and his lackluster, soft, and all too predictable version of the spread, UT is finally ready to get back to doing what made it great: running the ball downhill and through people. West Virginia's 3-3-5 defense is not built to stop power running teams, and their nose tackle and mlb aren't good enough to cover up that flaw. UT should be able to use extra blockers (te, fb, extra ot) in the backfield and on the same side of the line to take advantage of a scheme that primarily faces spread offenses in the pass happy Big 12. I think bubble screens will also help keep the defense honest and prevent stacking the box too much. The WR/TE slot seams will be open, especially if lined up in a trips or bunch formation. It's the same old story, use the run to set up play action, chew clock, give the defense time to rest, and it'll be a good day. I think we run a lot of iso up the middle, counters, traps that let a guard pull, and generally try to get upfield fast and wear them down. Our best chance running is to avoid plays to the outside and avoid slow developing, lateral moving Butch Jonesesque plays. Run it at em with a lead blocker and this defense will know what's coming but be unable to stop it. Controlling the clock is key. Think how many games we could have won if we could have milked the clock instead of running hurry up 3 and outs. I think our defense holds its own as long as they're not on the field too much. Hopefully Pruitt has more common sense than Jones, and will show it during the game. By getting rid of gamecharts, weird wr stances, odd clock management, and slow developing runs, Pruitt could return this offense back into a respectable unit and the Mountaineers defense will crumble even more than usual.

WV will load the box until the Vols can show they can move the chains throwing the football, let's just hope we can hit some pass plays to open the running game or it could get ugly early
Fingers crossed that this is not the case, however
Go Vols

Seemed like it, never changed the formation to not tip it off either, wasn't even a highschool level offense. He should send Josh Dobbs thank you letters daily in the mail for saving his bacon a extra two years.
That spread offense was the same offense Urban Meyer ran at Florida with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow.

WV will load the box until the Vols can show they can move the chains throwing the football, let's just hope we can hit some pass plays to open the running game or it could get ugly early
Fingers crossed that this is not the case, however
Go Vols
Kansas ran for 370 yards on them last year...Kansas. Yes that was a year ago but they haven’t exactly done a lot to improve that area. We’ll be able to run the ball on them.

Reactions: Remy
That spread offense was the same offense Urban Meyer ran at Florida with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow.
Got to have a mobile QB. Tennessee didn't have that last year so that spread really was nothing more than a mirage. Teams knew it, shut it down, and Butch is square peg round hole guy and didn't adjust anything to fit his personnel. Honestly i think the guy mailed it in and stuck it out to get his buyout last year and that's about all he was interested in.

Got to have a mobile QB. Tennessee didn't have that last year so that spread really was nothing more than a mirage. Teams knew it, shut it down, and Butch is square peg round hole guy and didn't adjust anything to fit his personnel. Honestly i think the guy mailed it in and stuck it out to get his buyout last year and that's about all he was interested in.
2017 is a horrible memory that i'll forget with a 7-8 win 2018 season:cool:

2017 is a horrible memory that i'll forget with a 7-8 win 2018 season:cool:
7 or 8 wins and Pruitt should be coach of the year. I'll settle for a bowl game, going to be tough. Offense has to find their indentity early and defense has to be better. Play physical too. Attitude could get this team a extra win or two.

Running plays that try to tick the defense or catch them out of position sounds a lot like last year to me! Why cant we just use our bigger OL to block their smaller guys and run right them? No need to trick anyone when you are bigger.

Seems like the plan last year was the same as the other 4 years. RB left of QB hand it to him going right. RB to the right of QB hand it to him going left. 3rd down play to set up to punt or FG try.

Sure we tried some trick plays once we were down 17 to 21 points, but for the most part we ran what our film said we would run.

I think we study their film and run plays off what we think they will do. Punch and counter punch.

Their film will show their weakness from last year. If this year’s weeknesses are similar, they are in for a long day. If they have strengthen those areas we will find their new weaknesses and exploit them.

If they sell out to stop the run we have to make them pay thru the air. If we need to roll out to get more time for our QB, then so be it.

To play by the book is unacceptable. The good news is there is no book on the Vols this year. WV has a blank slate to study. We have no tendencies or predictabilities.

Kansas ran for 370 yards on them last year...Kansas. Yes that was a year ago but they haven’t exactly done a lot to improve that area. We’ll be able to run the ball on them.

And of that, KU determined they needed only 2 attempts (for 6 yards) from the QB.

KU - Rushing
Player Att. Gain Loss Net TD Lg. Avg.
Herbert,Khalil 36 294 3 291 2 67 8.1
Martin,Taylor 11 61 2 59 1 19 5.4
Williams,Dom 1 14 0 14 0 14 14.0
Bender,Peyton 2 6 3 3 0 0 1.5
TOTALS 50 375 8 367 3 67 7.3

Reactions: Remy and FïreBall
Lol not even Alabama does that 100 percent of the time.

Seems like the plan last year was the same as the other 4 years. RB left of QB hand it to him going right. RB to the right of QB hand it to him going left. 3rd down play to set up to punt or FG try.

Sure we tried some trick plays once we were down 17 to 21 points, but for the most part we ran what our film said we would run.

I think we study their film and run plays off what we think they will do. Punch and counter punch.

Their film will show their weakness from last year. If this year’s weeknesses are similar, they are in for a long day. If they have strengthen those areas we will find their new weaknesses and exploit them.

If they sell out to stop the run we have to make them pay thru the air. If we need to roll out to get more time for our QB, then so be it.

To play by the book is unacceptable. The good news is there is no book on the Vols this year. WV has a blank slate to study. We have no tendencies or predictabilities.
It is amazing how many people don't realize just how predictable BJs offense was. Without a dynamic runner at QB that offense didn't go at all. The run game was literally zone, zone option, and draw last year. The pass offense was just as dumb.

And don't settle for Field Goals.

There will come a time that we will all want him to go for it. The thrill of going for it early is worth the adrenaline boost even if we don’t make it. It can make a statement to our team and their team that you have to stop us on all 4 downs and we have the confidence to go for it.

Reactions: Mick
Will be interesting to see if and how they use the RPO. Also would like to see some stretch plays and counters.

It is amazing how many people don't realize just how predictable BJs offense was. Without a dynamic runner at QB that offense didn't go at all. The run game was literally zone, zone option, and draw last year. The pass offense was just as dumb.
That’s why App st was able to take us to OT. We ran what we showed on film all night and couldn’t figure out how they kept busting thru. Our blocking scheme created gaps to shoot. Their D-line could fire off the ball straight at our O-line whose 1st step was away from them creating the gap right at our RB. That’s how our RBs kept getting blown up 2-3 yards deep. It looked like nobody was blocking which is true because of them being able count on our guard jumping out of the way on his way to block the DE.

To me that’s why our O-line looked so bad on so many plays. Do that a couple of times, the next thing you know it’s 3rd and 9. Then it’s time to pin your ears back and blast our QB. Open book test the past 4 1/2 years.

WV will be like taking the pop quiz on the book you didn’t read. Even worse you skipped the day they discussed it in class.

No more open book tests.

Currently the advantage for UT is that no one has too much film on them. We say none but you have a little O&W game film. The media sessions have been very short mainly just drills. I expect the running game to use the TE/FB/HB "whatever you wanna call it" to be downhill. Instead of motioning and catching the backside I fully expect them to lead the play.

It'd be a real cool idea to get back to I-Form, run the ball down their throats offense like we did in the "good old days", problem is our offensive line isn't what it was in the good old days or anything even close, and I don't think every RB on our roster combined is as good as Jamal Lewis, Travis Stephens, Travis Henry and etc were.

We'll probably run the ball a lot, but I doubt it'll be because we're dominating with it. It'll be because our QB position is a mess.

It's gonna take a couple years to get this straightened out.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

VN Store

Back