Vols rejecting Gary Patterson another lesson on incompetence

Lol, I said something similar a week or so ago... I said he's SwampGas's version of D4H.
I don’t usually plagiarize. You should be honored. “International”? Couldn’t keep that much bullshizz contained within this country’s boundaries. 🤣

Reactions: Behr
Not sure what’s worse, rejecting Patterson or Mike Leach. Leach would have become an international superstar at Tennessee. And would have won football games.

I'd say Leach, mostly since we could've hired him 4 times: 2008, 2009, 2012, 2017. He's always viewed Tennessee as a top 5 job and it's a place that would suit him well (unlike some top tier jobs, such as USC). I have no issue with the Pruitt hire, but I was clamoring for Leach all the way back in 2008, when we could've easily brought him in and kept John Chavis as DC.

For some reason, there's a large contingent of Leach doubters here, but I find it foolish. Leach has been doing more with less for years. No, he hasn't won a national title, but Nick Saban wouldn't be winning national titles at Wash State or Texas Tech either. The idea that Leach's system wouldn't translate to the SEC is garbage. It's translated to the NFL! It's now rare to see pro teams that aren't passing the ball at least 70% of the time.

Still insane to me that no top tier program has hired him, but a lot of it is politics. Leach is very independent and fans love him, which is something that a lot of ADs and boosters don't like; a coach that they can't control.

Not to dwell on it. Pruitt is the coach and that's all that matters, but I think if Leach were hired back in 2008, he would've won a national title here.

I don’t usually plagiarize. You should be honored. “International”? Couldn’t keep that much bullshizz contained within this country’s boundaries. 🤣
I would, but I'm sure you didn't see it and just had a similar thought. Great minds and all.

The World Famous Vols! Oh what could have been. I think he'll be F4H from now on.

Reactions: butchna
I think the dumb comparison was saying you would rather have Pruitt than Patterson.

That's not exactly what was said, but I guess it could've meant that. It wasnt the way I took it.

But, it wasn't him that said it anyway.

I think the dumb comparison was saying you would rather have Pruitt than Patterson.

Didn't say that, but to compare someone who has coached 1 year to someone who has coached for a long time is just dumb.

Reactions: Behr
Why is this being written 20 years later
Ubben, who writes for the Athletic and also covers the Vols, was interviewing Patterson about the TCU program and just happened to mention that Tennessee fans still feel like Patterson was “the one who got away”.....Patterson then provided the quotes/thoughts for the story.

The climate in 2008 wasn't going to allow us to hire a gimmick coach. We (or I should say the traditionalist fanbase) wanted to run pro style offense and the allure of getting Kiffin, Monte Kiffin and Ed O were too hard to pass up.

The Kiffin hire wasn't a bad hire... the contract buyout was the problem.
Totally disagree. The Kiffin hire devalued our program to a sense that we have never recovered. The reason we have had to make bad hires since is not only related to poor performance by AD’s and major boosters, but to the mess Kiffin put this program in.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
And I'm interested in the Dallas Cowboys coaching job. So what if Fulmer showed interest? He wasn't a candidate.
He wasn’t a candidate because Clemson couldn’t afford him. Dabo was an unpopular hire, fans wanted a proven coach but instead got a coordinator with no head coaching experience. At the time, they would have traded Dabo for Fulmer in a heartbeat. Also, the Cowboys are trash. You should aspire to coach with a better organization.

Totally disagree. The Kiffin hire devalued our program to a sense that we have never recovered. The reason we have had to make bad hires since is not only related to poor performance by AD’s and major boosters, but to the mess Kiffin put this program in.
But the mess was his exit and not really his hiring here. The timing of his escape plan and our cluster **** of a response to that was what set us on a path of what we are in right now. Not to mention, we double down on the dumb hire of Dooley with an equally dumb hire of butch jones. If Kiffin had not of left the way and at the timing he did, I dont think our decline would have been what it was.

Reactions: midtnvol2 and Behr
He wasn’t a candidate because Clemson couldn’t afford him. Dabo was an unpopular hire, fans wanted a proven coach but instead got a coordinator with no head coaching experience. At the time, they would have traded Dabo for Fulmer in a heartbeat. Also, the Cowboys are trash. You should aspire to coach with a better organization.
What was Fulmer making in 2008? DIdnt he just get a raise to 2.4 annually? Clemson was ready to offer their new coach at least 2.5 until they decided on Dabo. Saying that Clemson couldnt afford Phil Fulmer in 2008 is not an accurate statement.

The climate in 2008 wasn't going to allow us to hire a gimmick coach. We (or I should say the traditionalist fanbase) wanted to run pro style offense and the allure of getting Kiffin, Monte Kiffin and Ed O were too hard to pass up.

The Kiffin hire wasn't a bad hire... the contract buyout was the problem.

Disagree. Kiffin was a proven liar, had never won anywhere as an HC (and until the 2018 season at FAU, still had not), and was vastly overated by many in 2009. We never should have lost to UCLA, Auburn, or particularly been blown out and embarassed by Ole Miss that year. Plus he couldn't keep his mouth shut. Embarassed the university on multiple occasions. Was a terrible hire, period, dot.

Reactions: Lurker
Disagree. Kiffin was a proven liar, had never won anywhere as an HC (and until the 2018 season at FAU, still had not), and was vastly overated by many in 2009. We never should have lost to UCLA, Auburn, or particularly been blown out and embarassed by Ole Miss that year. Plus he couldn't keep his mouth shut. Embarassed the university on multiple occasions. Was a terrible hire, period, dot.
Yet he did better than Fulmer did the year prior and did it with worse personnel and a offensive line that started 2 walkons (I think it was 2)

Reactions: midtnvol2 and Behr
What was Fulmer making in 2008? DIdnt he just get a raise to 2.4 annually? Clemson was ready to offer their new coach at least 2.5 until they decided on Dabo. Saying that Clemson couldnt afford Phil Fulmer in 2008 is not an accurate statement.
But instead gave Dabo $900,000 a year. They must have had a crystal ball.

But instead gave Dabo $900,000 a year. They must have had a crystal ball.
Why pay him 2.5 when he was an assistant? Doesn't meant they couldn't afford Fulmer..............that statement is absolutely not true at all. They were prepared to thrown the bank at Muschamp until Brown made him CiW.

Why pay him 2.5 when he was an assistant? Doesn't meant they couldn't afford Fulmer..............that statement is absolutely not true at all. They were prepared to thrown the bank at Muschamp until Brown made him CiW.
Yeah and we were gonna pay Gruden $10 mill a year.

Didn't say that, but to compare someone who has coached 1 year to someone who has coached for a long time is just dumb.

I was responding to the person who said he would choose Pruitt over Patterson. I was showing the absurdity of that claim.

Maybe get the context next time before going off half-cocked?

Having Phillip Fulmer as the AD eliminates the worry that the department's leadership might not be completely invested in the long-term welfare and success of our program. While the initial signs seem to indicate that Fulmer is going to be a solid AD, the final verdict is still out on him (but I tend to think that he'll be good). Our amazingly bad string of ADs, beginning with Hamilton and ending with John Currie, was like watching someone stab themselves in the eye over and over again. One of the take-aways is this: Get the AD hire right. If you do, he/she will get the coaching hires right.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
TCU joined the Big12 in 2012. In Patterson’s 7 seasons since they have won at least 8 games only 3 times. Last year they went 7-6, the year before they went 6-7. He can’t even win consistently in a weaker conference with worse head coaches.

Sorry but in the 7 years in the big 12 (after crushing mountain west), he only has 1 losing regular seasons and had 2 11 wins and 1 12 win seasons, with one conference title and a final top 10 ranking those 3 years. Would I trade our past 7 years for that? In a heartbeat.

Reactions: SpookyAction
What the hell does this have to do with anything we are talking about?
It didn’t make sense for our athletic department to make that investment and it didn’t make sense at the time for Clemson to invest $2.5mill a year plus pay bowdens buyout.

VN Store

Back